“Needs upgrading, full of students!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Residence Du Voyageur

You added La Residence Du Voyageur to your Saves list
La Residence Du Voyageur
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   847 Rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec H2L 1K6, Canada (Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa))   |
Ranked #146 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
A TripAdvisor Member
“Needs upgrading, full of students!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2004

We'd stayed here in the past and liked it ok (good location near Sherbrooke metro, cheap, adequate breakfast, quiet enough, clean enough), but recently found it unbearable. Halls look filthy, walls are paper-thin which don't block out the 3am drunken students, rooms are not the cleanest either. If you can bear minimum amenities, you might be able to stand it--we can't take the student ghetto its become any more!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2004

I had a great weekend stay in Montreal. It was affordable, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the room was quite comfortable with a nice view, and I was very close to the shopping, restaurants, and shows. I'd go back.

Sudbury, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2003

This hotel isn't a 5 star hotel, and doesn't pretend to be. So, for $77 CDN (taxes included), you get what you pay for. However, for a budget hotel in a great location - it was perfect. The rooms were nice and clean, and despite the other reviews I found the staff to be very helpful. If your plan is to only sleep there and not have a romantic weekend - this is the hotel for you.

Nova Scotia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2003

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel back in April of 2003.
Despite the relatively convenient location, the entire two night experience was a bust. Tiny rooms, paper thin walls, the squeakiest floors imaginable - resembled a Cold War holding cell. Staff showed little concern when complaints were made. In fact, I called a friend the final night to help me vacate 12 hours early. All this for nearly $70 US a night. Handy Tip - try the property across the street, same price, far more charming.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2003

I was planning a weekend getaway to Montreal. Wanted a good deal and a decent room close to everything. I made my reservation BEFORE checking the reviews. By the time I did, it was too late to cancel. The place is located VERY WELL for downtown and The Village. I did not find it to be the Hell-hole mentioned in another review. Tacky and a bit run-down? Yes. The staff was very helpful to me. Be Careful... there are different kinds of rooms. The hotel policy is to charge you UP-FRONT for your entire stay at the point of check-in. I refused until I saw the room. They didn't like this. The first room they showed me was despicable.... it was SO SMALL and dingy (this was the hell-hole mentioned). When I said, "No, this won't do," they started to give me a whole diatribe about "Being full (They weren't).... and it's so last-minute." When I refused to sign for the rest of the reservation, they showed me a different room, with two double beds.... THIS ONE WAS ACTUALLY NICE. Clean, decent space and GREAT SHOWER! They insisted on 10 Canadian dollars more per night. I insisited that the reputation on the internet was not a good one and that they should make good on promises. We split the difference. I ended up paying 65 Canadian Dollars per night (about US$48-50). Had a great room (LOOK FOR TWO DOUBLE BEDS-- not a "double" with only one bed), great location and a WONDERFUL TIME in Montreal. What a great city! You get what you fight for, in this situation. There ARE some decent rooms in the hotel-- but I snuck a peek while the made was cleaning--- NOT MANY! "Breakfast" was an urn of coffee and cookies near the entrance. If you sat in the crowded and ugly "breakfast nook," you were served two stale-ish croissants per person. Plenty of hot water. Good, forceful shower. Would I go back? Not likely. But, this time, all worked out.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2003

This is the worst place I have ever been to! A hell hole would be more accurate. A big lie that didn't come cheap: $75 USD per night bought you a dinky little room with a slanted floor, a broken mattress and a view on the garbage dumpsters. The corridors were foul smelling, the decoration concisted of a disgusting looking fish pond and a pile of rusted garbage right in front of the entrance of the hotel. And just as all these amenities weren't enough the staff was inexistent and ill-mannered. What really made the experience unforgettable for me was the waitress spraying amoniac based windex on the surrounding tables as I was trying to choke down there subminiature breakfast. And a final note on the free parking feature: you get to drive around until you find your own free parking spot! Needless to say that I was very disappointed and regret that I was mislead by some guides that were recommending this place as a decent hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2003

If you're looking for old-world charm, pleasant Quebecois hospitality and a stress-free stay, this is not the hotel for you. The staff seemed hell-bent on redefining the words 'surly,' 'indifferent,' and 'ill-mannered.' An otherwise adequate experience was ruined by several early-morning calls from the front desk demanding that we move rooms to make way for other "preferred" guests. After clambering out of bed, and making it downstairs, we were given short-shrift by two charmless young ladies who gave us the keys to a second room, several floors down.
Although exactly the same size, the new room reeked of stale cigarette smoke and was poorly lit. Only after 20 minutes of back and forth deliberation were we smugly told that we could have our original room after all. On the positive side, this hotel is centrally located, quiet and cheap (Note: you do get what you pay for -- spartan conditions, "charming" staff and a "light" continental breakfast -- (cookies and coffee)).

Been to La Residence Du Voyageur? Share your experiences!