We stayed here April 8 - 13, 2013. Got a great rate on Priceline with the hidden hotel, but not by bidding. Then when we found out which hotel, it only had a 65 % positive rating. We said oh no! Read the reviews and a lot of issues seen in the past, so we decided to test it. Hotel front desk staff had been an issue in the past. This has been fixed. Hotel front desk staff was great...friendly and helpful, meeting all of our needs and requests. We were greeted by Billy upon arrival. Priceline only confirms 1 bed and won't confirm no smoking, so I called the hotel, and they wouldn't confirm, but put it on request. There were 3 of us, and Billy was able to put us in a room meeting these requests. He also without request put us in a room with a great view of the city skyline and park across the street on the 18th floor. We could also see the St Lawrence River off at an angle. Additionally, Billy, the front desk staff member who checked us in on Monday evening was the same person who checked us out on Saturday morning. We had not seen him since Monday. He actually remembered me, my name, and the conversation we had at checkin. This is unusual in hotels in the US and Canada, more usual in fine hotels in Asia.
The room was a bit dated but very clean. We weren't too far from the elevator, but we never heard it. One issue that we had was once again resolved with
immediate concerned action by the front desk staff. I didn't get his name, but he works the day shift, in the morning. We had a very loud squeaky bathroom door. I asked for Maintenance to oil the hinges. This was very annoying when using the bathroom at night, and everyone else was sleeping. The front desk person immediately got on a walkie talkie, spoke directly to the maintenance manager, and got it fixed. He was quite pleased when I reported back to him that his actions had gotten the squeak fixed.
Another issue from previous reviews: Unfriendly pool lifeguards...This has been fixed. We went to the pool every day and the lifeguards were friendly. What a luxury to actually have life guards.
We also tested the housekeeping staff. We requested only columbian coffee Kcups for the Keurig machinein our room instead of a mix of tea decaf etc but leaving a note in English. After some initial confusion, this request was met daily without fail, and without more notes.
Recommendations to hotel guests:
1. There is a large maintenance staff, so if you have an issue, speak right away to front desk personnel to get it fixed. Don't wait until after your trip then complain about the issue.
2. Any issues or special requests...discuss with front desk personnel, they are very helpful.
3. For Parking, at the Hotel is $19.50 with in/out privileges. There is a parking garage 1 block up the street from the hotel on the left that is $12.00 per 24 hour period(no in/out privileges). In the next block from the hotel on the left there are 2 overhead automatic doors, it is not well marked, but there is a sign next to the sidewalk with the rates, just drive up to the door, it opens automatically, drive in, insert your credit card and the gate will open. Park, then walk out through a walkin door on the opposite side(you are under ground). You are now in the new bus terminal...Take a right and walk out through the bus terminal so you can remember how to return. We saved about $40 over our 5 night stay. Then use your credit card to get back out again, and it will be charged automatically. There is a person who works there in the office and for security reasons, but no interaction with people is required
4. If the treadmill doesn't work, try unplugging, then plugging back in again, it worked for me. The report the problem daily to the lifeguard(at the pool next door), and to front desk personnel. Maybe with enough reports, they will get permanently repaired or replaced.
Recommendations to management:
1. Assign maintenance to oil all bathroom door hinges in rooms, my guess is they all squeak.
2. There are only 2 treadmills, both of them were broken every day first thing in the morning. I recommend to get both of them permanently fixed or replace them.
3. Assign someone to check, then replace electric outlets in the rooms. They are worn out. When you plug in a plug, they just fall back out in almost every outlet in the room(We were in 1808 if you want to see what I'm talking about.
4. If you are going to turn off the water in the hotel(which happened during our stay) don't forget to inform the hotel guests who checked in prior to your decision to turn off the water. On day 2 of our stay you decided to turn off the water for day 3. There was no notice when we checked in. You placed a notice at the front desk to notify new incoming guests after our checkin day. But you did not place a notice in our room or under our door, or on the elevator where everyone would see it. We luckily went to the front desk for another reason and noticed the piece of paper and luckily read it and were able to deal with it.
The above advice to management would require paying a consultant big bucks to receive, and some of it could only be observed by staying in a room and using the hotel facitilities. Bottom line I hope you take this free advice, act on it, and drive up your nice hotel rating at this site and others, increasing the profitability of your hotel. I would definitely stay here again for the right price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gouverneur Place Dupuis is a 4-star hotel located in the heart of the vibrant Latin Quarter near Old Montreal. Our 352 rooms offer an ideal base for you to enjoy the city festivals, shopping and business meetings. Indoor swimming pool, exercise room, saunas and fine dining. Direct indoor access to the Berri-UQÀM Métro Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gouverneur Hotel Montreal