“Fine 3 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal

You added Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal to your Saves list
Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1415, rue Saint-Hubert, Montreal, Quebec H2L 3Y9, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #78 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Fine 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Pros: price ($99 CAD), central location, good size room, clean, friendly front desk staff, and great views.

Cons: the hotel is a little worn down - from the fixtures in the bathroom, to the furnishings, wallpaper, and decor. It has the potential to become a 4 star hotel, but it is definitely a 3 star hotel.

The price and location made it a worthwhile stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
belsab, Director of Operation at Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard your comments and consider them in its just value.

Again, It’s thanks to you, that we have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations. We hope to have the chance to welcom you again in a near futur!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I typically give good reviews for everywhere I go however, this hotel did not meet my expectations.

Parking was a huge issue which the hotel conveniently does not like to claim any responsibility for the parking atrocity. I spoke to the front desk personnel about my situation but they made no apologies because the hotel doesn't own the underground lot, they merely have a contract for hotel guests to use it. The parking garage was typical for any large metropolitan city but I found this one particularly foul. There simply were not enough spaces for the hotel guests.

The parking attendant was rude and asked to park my car for me. I found this condescending to me since I am fully capable of driving my car irregardless of my gender. He also asked my friend to get out of my car without communicating what his intentions with my car were. He managed to fit my car into the smallest space. This parking space had a low hanging ceiling (lower than the rest of the parking structure) with all sorts of pipes and vents hung above. While gathering our luggage from the car both our heads hit the pipes and my trunk was unable to be opened fully. Prior to checking in, this was already a huge disappointment.

Then it gets worse. Upon entering the room I am startled by the very large burn mark from an iron on the carpet. Obviously, another guest had done this and the hotel deemed the room suitable for renting. There is attached pictures of that.

Taking a swim in the pool was ok but it was dark and dingy. It should be better lit there and the pool was in an older condition. I give the pool a 3/5 ranking. At least it had a lifeguard on duty.

We stayed in room 910, and I only remember this because we had to report that our toilet was clogged 4-5 times minimum during the second day/night. Every time we were reassured the clog had been resolved by the maintenance personnel, which simply was not the case. We had thought that a large hotel would take notice to the volume of calls placed about the clogged toilet but no special attention was provided to this issue. Front desk needed to be called twice or more before someone come to take care of the toilet. It was awkward and an inconvenience to have the maintenance employees entering the room at all hours of the night.

After sleeping in the bed all night I had noticed that one of the pillowcases had a large ink stain on it. I took all of the pillowcases off of the pillows. I had expected the housekeeper(s) would see they were dirty and replace them. They for whatever reason took the dirty pillow cases and made the bed up leaving one bed with no pillowcases. Replacing the dirty linens seemed standard to me. I was unimpressed by having to use a blanket as a makeshift pillowcase.

The second night while picking up the ice bucket there was a discovery of something that should not have been in there. It was a heating pad that some women use for their period cramps. We took the ice bucket to front desk and they offered to clean it. That seemed reasonable. However, going an hour without an ice bucket with frequent reminders did not suffice. It was surprising that the hotel did not have spares to offer to us instead of sending us back to our room empty handed. This was a large disappointment of the front desk and housekeeping staff because ice buckets should be clean for new guests.

The next day we wanted to extend our stay (huge mistake!), which involved creating a new reservation. This was understandable. The room was prepaid and there should have not been any other charges incurred. I was charged $6 for making local calls for ordering takeout. I was unaware that using the land line would come at a charge. The front desk personnel explained this cost was standard in all Montreal hotels. So, involuntarily I paid the fee.

Staying a third night was a big mistake. The toilet clogged at least another 5 times. The toilet would continue to clog and it was a constant battle trying to get maintenance to fix it. This was the last straw for me. Never again will I stay here.

Furthermore, I was disappointed that there were no recycling bins in the room. Although, recycling programs are slowly being introduced into many hotel chains I was unimpressed that I had to take my recyclable items home in my suitcase. This is something the hotel should consider in investing in for their guests.

While checking out the next morning I gave the front desk this extensive complaint of all of the disappointments that had occurred over the course of a three nights stay. I informed them I would be posting a complaint on TripAdvisor and other travel sites. They managed to refund me the $6 for the usage of the phone because during the entirety of checking in this ridiculous fee was not mentioned. As a refund for staying in the undesirable room I was given $30. That was not enough for what endured over the course of three nights.

Overall, the view from the room was the best feature and that isn't saying a lot. The front desk staff are incompetent at their job since they continually needed to be reminded to send an ice bucket and to dispatch a maintenance person to unclog the toilet. I truly adore the city of Montreal but I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed once again at my Favorite Hotel. Please note the Following:
1. Area is Safe!!! This is a city Folks
2. You cant be scared of People around Subway, and streets, Don't bug them, they leave you alone.
3. Coming from NYC, I feel safe in The "Village/Latin Quarter" I have walked by myself, 3 am and Not Feeling scared.
4. Manager Lino, his Assistant Kiev, and the Entire Staff, Go out of there way to make ALL Guests Feel welcome.
5. Address any Room Problems while at Hotel, not in Bad review after your stay.
6. Join Club Gouverneur!!
7. Book online on THEIR WEBSITE, or on Phone Directly. Reservations staff are incredible.
8. BREAKFAST, You Need to check your room rate on whether Full Breakfast at Check-in, or Continental. Many rates Include Full Breakfast, so ask in advance.
Restaurant has Excellent Staff, as does Bar.
9. THREE LEVELS OF ROOMS< OR YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Folks don't book standard room on other sites and expect to be on Business Floors.
10. Enjoy Montreal, and the Hotel Des Gouverneur, Place Dupuis: It is a Magical City and incredible Hotel.
11. Hotel is 4 stars!! Hotel Extremely Clean, and Property Not dated!!
Thank you once again to Lino, and His incredible staff for making my annual New Years's Stay Better then ever!!
Jon Parkus.

Room Tip: Book through Hotel Website!!!! Ask for City View!! Be Patient Staff will always help you, This is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel does not even deserve 2 stars. How these people got away with calling this place a 4 star is mind boggling. I work at a 4 star property in Toronto. This place could not even qualify for a 2 star rating under our standards. The property is very outdated and in need of repairs. It seems as if it hasn't received an upgrade in the last 40 years. The rooms are filthy. Upon check in, we were placed in a room which had a yellow stained toilet. When I say yellow, I mean mustard yellow staining all over. It looked like an accumulation which had never seen bleach. I wish that I thought of taking a picture then. I asked front desk to move me to another room and they said it would be a $20 charge because the only double bed room they had available was one which required an upgrade. I asked one of the managers to take a look at the toilet and even he had to agree that it was disgusting. They moved me to another room which was supposed to be non smoking. The entire room reeked of cigarette smoke. I had 2 children with me. When I inquired about the smell, the staff simply stated that their records show it to be a nonsmoking room. Yes, that was probably true, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that people have been smoking in there anyway. It was a busy weekend for us, so I decided to drop it and just focus on all the activities we had planned. I had brought my little Maltese dog with us and had notified the hotel of this. I was also charged a $30 fee for bringing my dog, which was fine with me. We stayed at the hotel for 3 days and had 2 rooms booked. My dog was with us the whole time and we had left her in the room by herself for no longer than 3 hours per day since we were aware it was her first trip away from home and it could be stressful to leave her by herself for a longer period of time. On the last day we went out for dinner and when we got back my dog was missing!!! I almost suffered a heart attack!!! I was in such a panic mode since my dog is a part of the family and it felt as if my child had been kidnapped. I rushed to the front desk in panic. It turns out she had been making noise and they took her out of the room. They even had the audacity to lecture me on leaving my dog in the room. For future reference to all of the incompetent staff at the gouverneur : if there are rules for the dog's stay and leaving your dog alone in the room, it is the responsibility of the staff to relay such policy to the customer upon check-in. Preferably, there should be something in writing so that there is no he said she said misunderstandings. The most important thing to teach the hotel staff would be: U DO NOT TAKE A PERSON'S PROPERTY....ESPECIALLY THEIR DOG WHICH IS A LIVING CREATURE AND TO DOG OWNERS A MEMBER OF THEIR FAMILY, AND YOU DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT LEAVING A NOTE!!!!!! Had they left a note, it wouldn't have all been such a stressful experience. Upon check-out I explained the issues about our stay to the front desk agent. She acted as if the biggest issue was the noise complaint she received about my dog. On top of this I was charged $20 per night on an upgrade which I wouldn't need had the room been up to par. This would never happen at my place of work! You would be upgraded for free, given sincere apologies chocloate covered strawberries as an extension to the apology. This hotel has absolutely no standards! Oh btw check the ceilings of your rooms, our second room had cob webs. One of the many ways in which this hotel lacks management to do a quality check inspection.
Do not stay here, there are plenty of choices in Montreal. Had I been the one booking the room it would have been different. I would not have picked this property, but since my brother booked it along with his plane tickets from the US, he failed to make sure he read the reviews first.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Norcross, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've stayed at Place Dupuis several times over the years in Montréal. I've always had a good experience. The rooms have spectacular views of the city and you have the Berri-UQAM Metro station right underneath the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to get there. There's an attached shopping complex that has been overhauled with a new IGA grocery store as well as a pharmacy and food court for modest eats. Breakfast is expensive unless you get it included in your rate. At that point, you'll have friendly staff who serve up a nice breakfast experience. There's also a tiny little bar area on the mezzanine floor with talkative bartenders and a few options if you don't want to venture out. Parking is a little pricey, but you are in the middle of the city. Watch out if you have a tall vehicle as it may not clear the very low ceiling!

The location is great if you are going to be around Rue Ste-Catherine's activities although I would agree that there are homeless people around. However, they're around most places in Montréal where there are hotels and stores. Just be aware of your surroundings - had more trouble with the students at Berri-UQAM begging for money and then getting assertive if you don't give them any. Since the Metro is attached, you can be just about anywhere in minutes and not even go outside. Be sure to know how crowded it can be around the rush hour times or during events like the Jazz Festival or after the fireworks competition completes. In fact, the Metro is so crowded after the fireworks in the summer, I end up walking back to the hotel. It is a bit of a haul, but I never felt unsafe because of the volume of people and you can find a ton of restaurants open on the way back if you didn't have dinner already.

I mark this as a hotel of choice when I stay in Montréal. I always have a good night's rest and a room that's clean and efficient. The prices are very reasonable and the facilities are what I need.

Room Tip: High floors that face downtown have spectacular views, especially at sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I am originally from Montreal and when I come back I like to stay downtown for at least one night. I booked this on Hotwire and unfortunately I was placed here which is a little far from where I wanted to be, especially in snowy, cold December..

The rooms are dated and definitely in need of a renovation. I can't comment much on the service as our only interface with the hotel staff was during check-in and check-out.

Overall this is a decent place to stay but not at all memorable and this is reflected in the price.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am from Montreal and I often come back and visit. Everytime I do, I stay at this hotel. You can't beat the price or location. The rooms are clean, the views gorgeous, the beds very comfortable, and the floors quiet. The service is spectacular! I once had an issue, where my car broke down, and the manager worked with hotels.com to help me change my reservation. They are caring and compassionate, and dedicated to providing excellent customer service. Last time I was there, I asked for a fridge to be put in my room, and they did it easily, which was awesome because there is a supermarket downstairs (and a pharmacy next door), and I could buy delicious food and beverages, and store it there. You don't even have to go outside if you don't want to because it is connected to the subway and underground. Because this hotel is attached to a mall and the epicenter of the subway system (Berri), there is excellent shopping nearby, and you can get to anywhere in minutes. You are also right next to St. Denis street, and on the university of Quebec campus, so it is definitely centrally located, near the bus station, and on St. Denis, there is trendy shopping and delicious food and fabulous bars. I felt perfectly safe walking to my hotel late at night, and I love being connected to a mall and restaurants, so i can walk indoor when it is cold outside. This is a great, clean, safe, comfortable hotel, with excellent service and a wonderful location. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: higher up you get even better views of the city
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Gouverneur Place Dupuis Montreal? Share your experiences!