“Nice hotel, central location, good price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Versailles

Save Saved
You added Chateau Versailles to your Saves list
Chateau Versailles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1659 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3H 1E3, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #64 of 168 hotels in Montreal
London
“Nice hotel, central location, good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

Overall, top marks for this small hotel in Montreal.

The Hotel was conveniently located at just a short stroll from St Catherine's street, the main shopping artery in Montreal and just s stone's drop from the subway station.

Rooms were well furnished and equipped with nice fluffy pillows and soft quality bedding, tasteful well kept furnishings and they didn't miss all the extra touches such as coffee machine, bath robes, complimentary umbrellas, quality Evelyn and Cabtree toiletries (-as appossed as God knows what own brand, possibly safeway savers-) had I know, I would have not carried mine all the way from England. The rooms were well heated, ideal for those Montreal cold nights.

Breakfast was probably the weakest aspect of this hotel, as the selection wasn't huge but what they had tasted delicious. Boiled eggs, two types of bread, sponge cake, croissant, pain au chocolat, cheese cubes, peanut butter, jam, chopped fruit (most of it from the can) orange juice (fresh), tea and coffee... that was about it,...

Also, here's a tip, if you book their superior rooms through their 'shopping package' it works cheaper than booking a standard room and they rooms are much nicer.

The hotel staff was helpful, although I wasn't impressed with their recommended guided tour company 'Grayline' as they dumped me and a few other people on a site and left.

• Liked — Details in the room
  • Disliked — Recommendation of guided tour company
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the superior rooms with the shopping package, it is cheaper than the standard room.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

This was our honeymoon, and my husband and I both loved it. Not only were the rooms (and the entire hotel) clean and well decorated, but the staff was all very friendly and helpful. Furthermore, it was only a short walk from museums and great shopping, plus a Metro station, so it was beyond easy to find exciting things to do everyday. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The decor, the cleanliness, and the proximity to tourist spots.
  • Disliked — Personally, nothing, but it wouldn't be the best for the disabled or elderly--quite a few stairs.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to buy a Metro pass. At just under $20 per person, it makes getting around the city a breeze!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

Stayed in the Hotel Versailles on a two-day trip to Montreal. I don't remember what I paid for it but I think, had I done my homework, I could have found a nicer hotel in a more exciting part of town.

First of all, the parking situation at the hotel is terrible. Most urban hotels I've been to feature underground or valet parking, or have a relationship with a lot nearby where you can get a good discount. I pulled up to the front of the hotel which is on a pretty busy street, and had to wave the bellhop out to have him tell me I was pretty much on my own for parking, but they would valet-park my car nearby for $25 a night. I guess that's not so bad but it seemed like a tough way to make a few bucks for a supposedly classy hotel.

Check-in was fine, a few different free newspapers available in the lobby were a nice touch.

The room, although nothing spectacular, was clean and well-decorated. The bed and the furniture were comfortable. It was a cold day, so I turned up the heat and it responded well.
Unfortunately, the hotel is downhill from a hospital, and consequently there are many sirens.

The immediate area outside the hotel is OK, but as I wasn't there for tourism, I just walked around for awhile. There is a bank right across rue Sherbrooke with a secure ATM. As another reviewer said there is a boulangerie two blocks east of the hotel. Definitely try it out. It was my favorite experience of the time I was there. If you head south you come into a more commercial area with small shops and different restaurants. It was crowded (Saturday night) with a surprisingly diverse mix of young people. As I just found out, that's because Montreal's largest university is in the area.

So, overall--not bad. But do your homework and make sure you are OK with a somewhat noisy location.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

This was our first trip to Montreal and our first to use Tripadvisor to help us select a hotel. I found the personal reviews of this hotel to be invaluable and hope our experience will help others.

The hotel was very nice and what I expected. Very quiet, out of the busy hotel sections, but close to so much! It was clean, no offensive odors, and nicely decorated. Our room was a little small, but that's more because we booked at the last minute and didn't want to pay a lot. I know there were other rooms that were much more spacious. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our pillows were a bit lofty, but we both fell asleep no problem. The breakfast the next morning was excellent! Everything from fruit to some hard boiled eggs! It was great! Loved the bathrobes too!

We had a little situation with the Valet parking, but they were very accommodating and offered a great solution. You see, our driver side window button broke a few days before our trip. With no time to get it fixed, we taped the button in a "locked" position, but if you happened to hit the button the window would go down, but not back up. Well we forgot to tell them about that...kinda figured they'd see the piece of tape on the button and figure it out. Anyway, they unrolled the window to enter the parking garage, but then couldn't get the window back up. Not too secure huh? When we returned from dinner, they told us what happened. They offered to move our car out of the garage and into their own lot next to the security camera and watch it all night for us. So there our car sat, window down all night under the watchful eye of the camera and staff member. It was a great solution. The next morning my husband and a staff member were able to get the window back up, but they also took off the valet parking fee! That was totally unexpected since it really wasn't their fault. How were they to know?!

We ate at 2 restaurants that I wanted to comment about. Moiser's on St. Laurent. The concierge at Le Meridan suggested it for meat lovers. It's a very, very expensive steakhouse. There were many locals, many families, 3 renditions of Happy Birthday and children. If you don't want to be around kids, because you left them at home, like we did :) , this may not be the right place. Everything is a la carte, so a meal for 2 without drinks was $140. We split a plate of asparagus and you could easily do that too. Also, there was not much style there. My plate arrived with a hunk of meat on it. Nothing else. I was not impressed. We should have looked at the menu before being seated. The other restaurant was Stash's in Old Montreal. Wonderful Polish food, very talented piano player if you happen to catch him, and great atmosphere. A little more reasonable...$68 with drinks!

We also found a great place to park in Old Montreal for free! Yes, free on Sat and Sunday only. It was on Rue St. Henri. If the river is at your back, the street is way to the left. It was great to park there and walk around all day in Old Montreal. And yes, the window was up!

We loved the city, loved the hotel, wouldn't recommend Moisher's, but would definitely tell you to try Stash's!

• Liked — The architecture( interior and exterior), breakfast
  • Disliked — the pillow
  • Tips/Secrets — try travelocity to get a better price over calling hotel directly
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

My husband and I recently took a couple of days off to celebrate our anniversary. I must have searched the internet for hours looking for that perfect place, I wanted a romantic quiet establishement, something special. All the review that I read on this hotel made me believe that it was that special romantic retreat. It was not.

I booked the king room with a fireplace. First of all, It is not a real fireplace but and electric light. very tacky...the TV did not face the bed, the carpets were stained, the drapes smelled and the bed spread was a very dark color and did not smell clean and the sheets must have been 50 count. If that was not bad enough, the room was located within a very short distance (about 8 to 10 ft) of the front desk. If we could hear people whispering in the lobby! We felt as if we had zero privacy. This place was terrible and expensive. If you are thinking of staying at this hotel, keep searching, you can do much better.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

We had a wonderful stay there! It has a good location, quiet but close to many attractions including the Museum of Fine Arts. The staff was professional, friendly, helpful, and informative. The rooms were beautiful. It was truly the cherry on top of my trip to Montreal! I highly recommend it for couples.

• Stayed March 2006
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

I have now stayed here 4 times over the past year - 4 different rooms: 1 excellent; 2 fine and 1 OK (a little tired with thin walls - located at the back of the building, but still very OK).

Hotel location is great; staff is friendly and helpful; decor is fine; rooms are very clean; TV and in room CD/radio work. Latest room was very quiet. The continental breakfast is included in the rate; subtantial with choices & definitely above average for a continental breakfast.

My only beefs: I couldn't turn the heating down - so, room was a little on the warm side (hey it's December and snowing outside); the tea at breakfast left a lot to be desired - minimal in the big scheme of things (I don't drink coffee), but the bread containing orange peel was just excellent. The toilet wasn't flushing properly, but was promptly fixed the next day with no hassle.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels on business and this one definitely rates a consistent above average (so far). This hotel is definitely a "hidden gem"; and I almost never give full marks on principle.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business

Been to Chateau Versailles? Share your experiences!