“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Versailles

You added Chateau Versailles to your Saves list
Chateau Versailles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1659 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3H 1E3, Canada (Centre-Ville (Downtown))   |
Ranked #58 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Orange, California
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 3 nights in a room facing the street and actually it was nice. Breakfast is good and the service is amazing. My only advise is that they need to give the bathrooms an upgrade.
Location, the best everything is walking distance , except for old Montreal . Amazing restaurants and museums.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Monroe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back from a 4-night stay and loved it! Staff is very accommodating to our needs (and we called prior to arriving just to be sure), all very well informed & helpful about traveling within the city, and very friendly. Breakfast was exactly what we wanted, fresh, and plentiful. Our room was the king-sized with a fireplace --could not be more elegant or cozy. The only wrinkle was parking which is valet and one pays for that separately. We didn't end up using the car the whole time, though, because many things were within walking distance or within public transportation & walking distance. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to return!

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel, again for 4 nights. The first stay I had a room facing the street and bus noises were loud. This time I had a downstairs room which was large and quiet. Very well equipped.
The breakfast staff and supplies varied daily. The first day, at 9:45(breakfast ends at 10:30), there were no cups, no plates, and no knives. The lone server could not resupply anything, including food. The other days there was a different server, but there were some of the same issues: no cups, empty trays of food, etc. There was ample food, but the selection was limited. This server obviously wanted to go home quickly because each day, he closed the doors to breakfast prior to 10:30.
The afternoon tea was a new amenity and very nice. Just tea and biscuits, but again lack of cups some days.
The location of this hotel is great and the building is very interesting. I would stay here again.
Hope they can fix these small issues.

Room Tip: Stay away from Sherbrooke Street side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again, and thank you for bringing to our attention the hours of the breakfast in the Boudoir- Yes indeed we were aware that we had run low on inventory for the utensil and did place an order, however, we have not received, seem to be on back order. Never the less you should have not been effected by this. I have brought it incident to the attention of the Banquet Manager to advise her staff to pay better attention.

We are very thankful for your comments and hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

S. Moran
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

While this is out of the way of the old city, it is a good place to stay. It is up by the museums and shops, if you want that as part of your vacation.

However, the high point of staying at this hotel is the quality of the people who work here. They know the city and are able to make recommendations that are spot on.

The rooms could be upgraded, and we had a front room (on the street) which allowed the noise from the street to penetrate the room. However the drapes were heavy and that limited it somewhat.

We had a fireplace in our room, which was pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words concerning my collegues that work at the hotel. We are most fortunate that our associates love what they do and take their positions within the hotel to heart.

Your gratitude we very much welcome! Hope to see you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel has a great central location - easy walking or a short taxi ride to many restaurants, attractions & museums. The exterior is classical old Montreal architecture and certainly attractive. The interior could use a buff up. Room sizes vary from tiny to spacious. Staff attitude can be an issue. I knew I had an important envelope waiting for me but the front desk clerk barely glanced around before insisting nothing was there for me. I insisted back but got nowhere. When a new clerk took over an hour later I asked again and she found the envelope right away. Instead of an apology I was chastised for not saying it was a large envelope because they are kept in a different place. I was also told my first room which was miniscule was the same size as all the rooms. Only when I said I would move hotels was I given another room which of course was larger. It it didn't end there - the first other room they gave me hadn't been cleaned after the previous occupants. (I could go on but you get the point by now I'm sure.) That said the room I did end up in (third try) was just fine except for a security lock that had been ripped off and not replaced (empty screw holes & missing paint well in view). There's no elevator and a lot of stairs if you are in an upper room so those with mobility issues best not stay here - you will have stairs to climb before you even enter the hotel. Breakfast is included - a serve yourself simple buffet which is not elaborate but okay enough (boiled eggs, cottage cheese, toast, pastry, beverages, fruit and cereals). So if you get a good price, don't mind stairs and pick your room you'll be fine here for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Interior rooms have no view - except of the fire escape - but are quiet. However some such as room 3...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wales, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Spent two nights here,arriving at 2.00am straight from the airport with 5 bags, only to find that we had to carry our bags up two flights of stairs. The guy at reception offered to help but I was in no mood to pay a tip of $2 per item just because there was no elevator. However, the room was large and comfortable and so was the bathroom. Breakfast was interesting as it was taken in the sitting room in low armchairs and when I couldn't find cups for coffee, the one man who was running the breakfast show said he couldn't provide cups as they had run out and he had no time to wash the dirty ones! Then as we checked out I had to carry the bags back down the stairs. Think we'll look for somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor, but if you have any disability stay somewhere else as there is no elevator...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments, I must apologize for not having sufficient staff when you arrived, normally we do, however, he does double duty parking the cars. The beauty of this hotel is that with it being over 100 years old, is that we don't offer one room the same and also, we do not have elevators within the hotel. We do specify this on our web site. I will revisit advising our clients by telephone as well. We have come accustom to not verbally advising. I must say I am a little shocked at the service you received in the Boudoir. I will advise the F & B Manager that it is time to revisit our inventory. I do hope that you have had a most enjoyable visit to Montreal, and hope that you will reconsider staying with us in the future visits.

Best Regards,

ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

having driven by this hotel many times wanted to treat family visiting from Australia...the hotel is noisy...old needs up grading....the breakfast was OK but the man serving was very rude at 10 am and shut the doors...the afternoon tea was a great dissapointment cups dirty sitting on the tables and not cleared away no cookies or anything else frankly not worth the money try someother hotel in Montreal...

Room Tip: after the first day your coffee is not re filled and asked to pay extra parking takes about 10 minut...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with constructive feed back. I am very concerned that we did not meet your expectations during your visit to Montreal. All of our associates are very well trained in service, I was disappointed that you were not treated appropriately for which I have brought this to the attention of the Banquet Manager to be addressed. As no excuse for the Tea Service, we do indicate that it is provided as a “Self Serve”, as our banquet department closes after breakfast has been served. Looks like we will have to provide a service to make sure that the cookies are replaced. It was a slow start, when we started offering it, but now our clients look for it. Enjoying this little extra. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that you can re-evaluate our performance.

Best Regards,
S.Moran

Been to Chateau Versailles? Share your experiences!