“Eh...could do better” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Salem, Massachusetts
“Eh...could do better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

In a word, i would give this hotel an "Eh"...the location is unbeatable however. Located just north of Rue St. Catherine, this hotel is far enough away to not have millions of people around all the time, but close enough to everything to feel like you're in the thick of it. Close to a metro, dining, shops, and museums this location couldn't be better. Unfortunately however, the conditions were sub par. The Room was fairly clean but the bedding situation was unusual. There were no sheets on the bed, they expect you to use the spread (dirty) to sleep on. There was only one pillow on the bed and after searching found the other in a bag in the closet. The shower was the best part of the room and offered great pressure and temp control. I read other reviews of this hotel before booking and people were complaining of the air conditioning situation...or lack thereof, which is entirely true. The room on a hot summer day was muggy and not comfy to sleep in and the air conditioning didn't work at all. All in all, if you don't expect much from a one night stay or a similar circumstance then this is a fine place to stay, otherwise i would search for other options.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Guelph
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed at this hotel and I have to say it was horrible.They made us pay for a movie we didn't see, the room was dirty and in desperate need of a renovation and when we ordered room service it took 45 minutes to come.When I talked to the manager about our problems he basicly ignored me put it down to my being a woman.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

I just got back from a stay at the Best Western in Montreal for the Jazz Festival. The hotel was very nice, great comfortable beds, large rooms. The location of the hotel is also great, right downtown near some great shopping. However, the best part of the stay was the AMAZING service provided by our concierge - Rami. I have been to Montreal often and have stayed at a lot of different hotels, but this is the first one where the concierge has gone out of his way to make sure our visit to Montreal was truly enjoyable.

• Liked — The concierge
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

Stayed for 2 days. Location of Hotel is good, easy to get to other parts of the city.

Room was OK, but in need of decoration. Staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

My parents booked this hotel on my behalf, for a 3 night stay in Montreal. My stay started off on a slightly shaky note though, as I arrived alone at midnight (due to severe train delays on Amtrak!) only to be told that I did not have a reservation. I insisted that I did and only after some shuffling around and my assuring them Id told them I was still coming, did they find my room details. Phew!

However after that minor hiccup I was pleased to find that my room was great - good size, extremely comfortable bed, decent closet space, nice large bathroom and lovely view of the Mont Royal. The room was cleaned spotlessly each day and the cleaning staff were pleasant and cheerful. The hotel may look ugly from the outside but its really quite pleasant inside.

The hotel lobby/reception isnt impressive and at times is too small for the volume of people arriving at once. However the staff - especially the concierges - were very helpful and the people running the nice coffee show were really nice.(actually, everyone in Montreal was friendly and really welcoming!)
but what made it so easy was the location of the hotel. Perfectly located for great restaurants, shops and McGill University. One day we were so tired we literally just crossed the road and had a superb meal. Similarly, as a treat we had planned a breakfast at the Ritz and were delighted to discover it was just 2 minutes walk away! Its also a very safe feeling neighbourhood, and even the station isnt far to walk to at night.
All in all a well-priced and well located hotel - dont go thinking it will be a really glamourous experience, but its the perfect choice if you want a comfortable clean and convenient hotel.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — it was ugly from the outside
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I stayed at the Best Western Ville-Marie for three nights in the middle of April. The staff was incredibly helpful through my entire stay. My room was incredibly large and always kept clean.

The free internet room downstairs was great! Traveling alone and without a laptop, I was able to keep connected with my friends and family back home. Although there were only two computers, there was never a wait, and I often had the entire room to myself.

The location was excellent - very close to the Metro and right next door to McGill University. Plus, all of downtown is within walking distance.

The only problem I had was that my room key-card kept deprogramming, but within minutes each time, I had a had a new card (with many apologies from the desk clerks, although it wasn't their fault!)

When I checked out, they called a cab for me, and wished me on my way. I will definitely be staying here if I find myself in Montreal again.

• Liked — Its proximity to all of downtown
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

We have stayed at the Best Western Montreal several times during our 6 month stay in Canada. The Staff are very friendly and helpful, rooms are large, beds are comfortable and rooms are clean and tidy. It is a very comfortable, well located, value for money hotel in downtown Montreal. If you are looking for 5 star luxury then this is not for you. If you are looking for value for money this is EXCELLENT.

• Liked — Location, best part of Montreal
  • Disliked — Cannot think of anything really
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Ville-Marie Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!