“Nice enough stay, though key aspects really bothered me!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1240 Drummond St, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1V7, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #67 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Nice enough stay, though key aspects really bothered me!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My stay at the Best Western-Downtown Montreal-Hotel Europa was really tainted by my check-in experience. I had purchased my night stay through Expedia with the intention of going with my wife and child, but they fell ill. So a friend came with me and we needed two beds instead of one king bed. The lady at the front said no problem, there were plenty of rooms. She was having some trouble and then had to consult with the manager. It took a five minute consult, which it seemed that the manager took a rather long look at all my documents including my Ontario ID. It just felt way too long for what seemed a straight forward transaction. The delightful young lady came back and told me that now to change rooms was going to cost $20 extra. Manager said so. I felt the look at my ID was looked at a little too long and I said that and the lady kind of laughed awkwardly but did not deny my not too shrouded assertion. She then needed help again from the other counter person who said to comp the change and then she told him the manager had said twenty extra. Clearly he was unimpressed and voiced his displeasure with the decision. He apologized right away for "the big man's decision". I understand that I changed the original agreement, but given the circumstances of my sick wife and there being lots of rooms available, I think that the change should have been granted. It leaves such a sour taste in a patron's mouth, as you can see.
Then parking was another $20, which the hotel seemed an unwillingness to take any responsibility for. Yet their logo was on the parking lot, not exactly confidence inspiring. The location of the hotel is less than a kilometer from the Bell Centre, which is ideal if you are catching a game or a concert there. However, the heavy concentration of strip clubs, erotic massage places makes this Best Western not ideal for families. There's just so many of them, you could not miss them. It's a heavy party area by all accounts, so families may not want to stay there because of the noise.
The room was clean for the most part, though there was toilet cleaner at the base of the toilet. The shower was less than impressive, I had the shower at its hottest and it was warm but not hot. Leaving only one small bar of soap with a room with two beds for the shower seems on the cheap side. Especially when I paid an extra $20 for the extra bed! Maybe I being a bit harsh on the Best-Western, but these things still happened. I just felt so nickeled and dimed for my room that it was very difficult to overlook these faults. I would suggest looking elsewhere for a place in Montreal unless you are solely going to a Habs game with friends, not a young family.

Room Tip: Not exactly for families, IMO.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I made my first trip to Montreal last week, with two main goals.
Two hockey games at the Centre Bell and lots of good food and nightlife. Location was the most important factor in hotel selection.

After looking at all properties within walking distance, I booked the BWP Hotel Europa on Rue Drummond, based on recent reviews and price differentials of other nearby hotels. The rate was $85 per night for 5 nights.

Reception and front desk staff were always polite and helpful, although I had one very minor billing issue, quickly settled, which prevent me scoring a perfect 5 for service.

The property and my rooms ( I stayed in two, which I'll explain in a bit ) were amazingly clean. I mean absolutely spotless.
My rooms faced the inside of the property, so there was no view, but that was not important for me.

The bed was very, very comfortable, with plenty of pillows and blankets.

TV was a large flat screen with fifty or so channels both French and English. Three sports channels ( TSN, RSN, and RDS French ) were available, although I have to wonder why hotels, everywhere not just this one, spend a fortune on large flat screens, then don't pay the cable or satellite provider the few extra bucks per month for an HD signal!

Internet was mostly dependable and FREE, which I tested to max out at around 3mbps down. It did quit a couple of times for a minute or two, but overall it was fine.

The room also included a coffemaker with set ups, a small refridgerator, iron and board, clock radio that supports IPod,and a microwave provided on request.

The bathroom was perfect with new, fresh towels, a shower with excellent water pressure, a curved curtain rod ( why don't all hotels have them now? ) and absolutely no water temperature change while showering.

Speaking of temperature, the outside temp never reached freezing, but there were a few nights I slept with the heater OFF. I have no idea how they managed that.

I ended up changing rooms after my second night, as the room ( 201 ) was right next to elevators, and worse, the maid's supply cabinets. After nights of too much beer, being awakened at 07:30 by the maids as they prepare for their day was no fun.
I asked for a room change and they happily moved me to a much more quiet room ( 222 ).

There are three computers near the lobby and use of a printer - complimentary.

There is also a convenience store off the lobby selling everything you may have forgotten ( soaps, shampoos, etc. ) or need ( snacks, soft drinks, etc. ) They do not sell beer or alcohol, although there is a Marche two blocks away on Stanley for those needs.

There is food and drink of all sorts within walking distance, with tons of places on Crescent and Bishop.
Be sure to hit Ziggy's Pub, a great late night place on hockey nights and weekends.

I did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, but there are tons of nearby places and many that deliver to the hotel.

I've scored this place a 4, as there should be very few 5's, but for the value of this place 5 is too low! I've rarely experienced this much value for money.

A final thought: I was on a solo trip and the room I was in was plenty big enough for one. I could see where two might feel squeezed over a long weekend. They do offer larger rooms, however.

It will take a lot less time to plan my next trip to this great city, as my hotel is already sorted.

Cheers.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms ending in 01 and 02, as they are right next to elevators and the maids' sup...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
The Road
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was attending an event nearby, searched the hotels in the area, ended up at this one because of the price (about half of other big chains nearby). I'm happy to have stayed here. The first room I was assigned I rejected because the deadbolt didn't work, but there was no problem getting a different room. My only two complaints in that new room were that (1) the bedside clock was about 10 minutes fast, and it proved impossible to change it (2) the housekeeping staff must not sweep under the furniture very often, since I could see an old receipt sitting on the floor under the chair. These were only minor concerns, and compared to the fairly stylish and very comfortable room, the fast, free wireless Internet access, the very large television, the fully-functional lighting, plumbing, appliances, etc., I think that this was a good choice and I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We've stayed here once before to go to the bell centre a few years back and came back to see a concert on valentines day. The location can't be beat, no fighting the traffic after an event is over, just walk back to your room. You don't need to drive since everything is within walking distance from the hotel. We stood a few days and just wandered the city checking out all the different shops in the downtown area. The Hotel staff was very friendly and helpfull. The room was very clean and spacious and had a nice view of the city. They don't have a pool, but a very nice gym on the top floor that in the summer has a garage door that they open, were you can sit out on a patio deck after working out. The price was very fair considering it's location. We're getting to the age were we can travel more and have found that the Best Westerns Hotels have more consistency is cleanliness, location, friendliness and price. We should know what to look for since we own a motel. We'll be back next time we go to the bell centre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My second time in this fine hotel, for the formula one festival, one of the greatest feature about it, the location only 300ft. from the famous Saint Catherine Ave. right on the heart of Downtown Montreal, looking forward for my next trip[ and stay in Montreal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The location is perfect for the core of Montreal - about 1/2 a minute walk to St. Catherine. The room (queen bed) was a decent size - I don't need huge, I could move freely without tripping on things. The bed was comfortable, nice to have included wifi (which should be the case in all hotels), the curtains didn't let light in, and the bathtub was nice and deep and the shower had good pressure. The washroom was small, but I also don't need huge space - just be able to sit, shower and brush teeth comfortably, and I could. I could hear some noise from the room beside me, not lots, but a little. I liked that there were two decent enough restaurants attached - as I had little time I just needed to eat and sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great hotel, friendly staff. The room was large and comfortable with free wifi. Nice bathroom and really comfy bed. Only compaint would be the heating which never seemed to get much warmer, for some reason it was sent to cool when i arrived and it was like walking into a fridge. The room did heat up but was never toasty, that said I never bothered to complain so I can't blame the hotel staff. The room also had a coffee machine which would be brilliant for coffee lovers out there. I didn't do any sight-seeing as it was a business trip so I can't comment too much on location but it seemed pretty central to the main streets.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!