“Great find in Montreal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de l'Argoat

and 1 more site!
You added Chateau de l'Argoat to your Saves list
Chateau de l'Argoat
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   524 Rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec H2L 1K1, Canada (Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa))   |
Ranked #24 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
“Great find in Montreal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before, and will stay there again. It provides interesting rooms in two old houses which have been converted into a small hotel. The service is friendly in both French and English. The in-room internet is excellent for any business traveller. The breakfast is a simple continental breakfast which I find to be adequate. The location in the boundary area on the edge of the French/English zones in Montereal is convenient for most services and areas of interest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
bergen county, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I decided to take a trip to Montreal and the first step was locating the perfect hotel. I was looking for location, price, and free parking. This place fits the bill. It is relatively close to the main attractions in the city. Some are within walking distance, but most all are right at your feet courtesy of the Metro station literally right across the street. Montreal is a smaller version of NYC or Philly, so driving in a car can be cumbersome. But the Metro makes getting around super easy. The staff at the Chateau are bilingual, have continental breakfast, and free wifi. While my room itself was nothing to write home about, I didn't really care. It had a comfortable bed, TV with local and US channels, desk, window (with no view, but with the whole city there to see, who need a view from the room?), and safe. As I said earlier, they also offer FREE PARKING. Hardly any hotels in Montreal offer this. Overall, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: It is a small hotel with specific room types/descriptions, so there isn't much choice you have i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Warwick, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at Chateau de l'Argoat for two nights. The hotel staff does a good job keeping the place clean and pleasant. For example, in the breakfast room there are posters on the wall advertising current arts events in Montreal. At first, I thought they were just artwork, because they were beautiful, and artfully arranged. Picking my way through the French, I realized they were all current. The staff does many other little things to make one's visit work.

The building is old, and there is a lot of historic fabric left, even though there have been renovations. In our room the paneled and louvered shutters were still there, and the doors were through mortise and tenon original doors.

As someone who doesn't speak much French, and had never traveled outside the US before, I found the staff helpful in navigating the city and its parking rules.

I hope to return in the summer with bikes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

A small B&B atmosphere - the Chateau de L'Argoat provides reasonable comfortable downtown accommodations in Montreal. It is one block from the Metro, which made getting to where we wanted to go simple. The continental breakfast made my husband a fan of "les petits croissants" and I loved the extended breakfast hours until noon. The concierges were friendly and courteous and quite helpful in all things. This is not a hotel for one seeking room service, or needing an elevator to upper floors. However, even though we were on the third floor, and climbed the elegant staircase every night, we plan to make the Chateau our home every time we come to Montreal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just loved this place. We had stayed here during the 2012 Christmas holidays and, feel that this is a wonderful hotel to stay. The location, the rooms, the staff.......everything about this hotel is PERFECT. The metro is across the street and is the cheapest way to see Montreal. The rooms are clean and beautiful and, most importantly quiet. We stayed in the room facing the street and could not hear any traffic.There is coffee/tea available all day. The breakfast is simple but filling. My daughter loved their Chocolate croissants and Hot Chocolate. The dining area is small and is designed to feel like a french cafe..........an absolute delight. And best of all, the staff is extremely cordial and friendly. They made us feel welcomed and were very hospitable. The parking is free (Just 1 complaint.....the hotel should invest in a snow blower......ha ha ha ha ha. We got stuck in the snow storm) and there is free wi-fi in the rooms.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and, is surely going to be where I'll stay whenever I visit Montreal next. However, for all those that expect a hotel to have stuff like swimming pool, gym etc, this is not for you. 603Tracy has described this place as "Home away from home", I could not have described it any better.

Room Tip: Ask for room #15 if you are 2 people travelling. The room is absolutely beautiful and has an old wor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Chateau de l'Argoat in December 2012, and it was a nice experience in the midst of nasty, slushy weather.
The hotel is very conveniently located; my wife and I love walking, and we found all the main areas of Montreal accessible by foot. Notre Dame Basilica was only about 25 minutes away for us, for reference. We drove up from Toronto, and it was very nice and rare to find a hotel in a good location with parking. FREE parking. The lot is in the back, out of the way and in no danger of the being covered up with snow, unlike the majority of cars we saw parked on the street in Montreal. The parking lot is in the back of the hotel, though, and a bit hard to find; it's better to be approaching the hotel driving eastward. After passing the hotel, there will be a small side street. Assuming you are headed east, turn onto that road, then immediately turn right on the first little side-street. It's a steep road, so if there is ice, be very careful. Also, GPS users might not be taken to the right place if you just follow the unit's directions; mine messed up the location.
The room was large, and though a bit outdated, very comfortable. The carpet probably needs to be replaced, though. The bathroom was great; we stayed in a Queen room, and the tub was very large, and perfect for an evening soak after a long day of being wet outside. It's one of the best bathtubs I've found in a hotel aside from one with an actual Jacuzzi or whatnot. The soaps the hotel provided were actually soap, and high-quality; my wife and I loved the lavender-scented one.
The staff were very friendly; they greeted us every time we entered the hotel and came down for breakfast.
The morning breakfast was great; Montreal bagels and other tasty breads. The coffee was so-so, but not bad compared to most places that just serve instant or Folgers. I requested two bagels every morning and they were perfectly toasted. Other than that, nothing special, but it's a free continental breakfast; what more do you need?
Very importantly, the hotel was very quiet. It's by a major road, but we couldn't hear anything, and I slept very well all three nights. I'm a light, sensitive sleeper, so this is very important for me. I don't know how the rooms next to the road would have been, but if you are a light sleeper request a room facing the parking lot.
The Internet was free and reasonably fast. No complaints there.
All in all, a great place to stay in Montreal, and when we return, we will most likely stay at the Chateau again. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are a sensitive or light sleeper, request a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

The location was great, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They came out and showed us where we could lock our bikes inside, before we even thought to ask. And free parking? Yes, please! Sure the lot is tiny, but it does the job.

I felt it was a good value for the price, and would absolutely stay there again next time I'm in Montreal.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 26 - specially advertised for being quiet and having the memory foam mattress. It...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple