“home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de l'Argoat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montreal
Chateau de l'Argoat
You added Chateau de l'Argoat to your Saves list
524 Rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec H2L 1K1, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

The location was great, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They came out and showed us where we could lock our bikes inside, before we even thought to ask. And free parking? Yes, please! Sure the lot is tiny, but it does the job.

I felt it was a good value for the price, and would absolutely stay there again next time I'm in Montreal.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 26 - specially advertised for being quiet and having the memory foam mattress. It...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
brooklyn, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel off and on for 20 plus years and still like it. As prices for hotels everywhere have gone up, and the US dollar has declined, I've found I can no longer afford this hotel's nicest rooms, but they are all comfortable. One caution - we stayed at the top floor in the room furthest from the stairs, and the room was adorable BUT I found the bed too soft. It was really not a good night's sleep for me as I like firm beds. I decided not to say anything becuase the rest of the room was great. I didn't realize until I was checking out and said something, that this is the one room with a special bed, maybe a memory foam bed? And they find some of their guests LOVE this bed and specially request it. And the room is very quiet. So just know about this one room that it's good for some people and not as good for others.

I love what a lot of other people love: free internet in the sitting room on the first floor (great for researching Montreal attractions), the continental breakfast is perfect and the little breakfast room is adorable, the little free parking lot, the use of a guest fridge, all add up to a really civilized hotel experience, plus the location is great, a walk from downtown but also near so many things and in a very French area of the city. I really don't look elsewhere for stays in Montreal.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are great, top floor furthest from the stairs (east end of hotel) has lovely room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
El Portal, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were 2 couples sharing a 2 bedroom suite and one child -who didn't show up on the reservation - arriving at 830pm. They handled the extra person with aplomb and made up the fold out couch without a second thought. The suite had one big room and one smallish room with a shower/jacuzzi room and a separate toilet room in between the bedrooms. Beds were comfortable and everything worked. Very nice breakfast brought to our table in the dinning room.
Convenient free parking. We would go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I will add my voice to the chorus of rave reviews!
Perhaps more accurately described as a large B&B, or a small independent hotel, the de l'Argoat is a rare find - great location, friendly staff, good amenities, and excellent price.
Location: basically on the edge of downtown, so a little quiet which is nice, but close to all you need. Rue St Denis with plenty of restaurants, bars etc is just two blocks away. Berri-UQAM, a central Metro terminal plus the terminus of the Airport Express Bus, is also only two blocks walk. And Sherbrooke Metro station is right across the road. So getting around couldn't be easier ($16 for a three day STM pass allows you to use the Metro and buses, including to and from the airport).
Staff: the guys are all charming and oh-so-French, and couldn't have been more helpful or friendly to this Anglophone.
Amenities: free wifi in rooms, breakfast is included (and delicious!)
Rooms: can only speak for room 10, but it is first floor so one flight of stairs only, good size room with a queen bed, small but adequate e suite, excellent heating, and a nice view out over the street but still relatively quiet.
Price: seriously, I couldn't find anything still within the range of the Montreal Metro that was comparable in quality and within the same price range ($85 per night plus taxes).

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for the first floor if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Asnieres, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My second stay at the l'Argoat was this October after a three-year gap. My favourite features are it's ambiance, with warm, wooden panelled hallways and remarkable quiet for a mid-sized hotel. The rooms are also comfortable and are neither sterile-modern or old-tatty, but a very nice in-between.

The staff are also friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. The breakfast muffins are first rate!

My only advice is to be careful in the specifics when choosing a room. I had three in my nine day stay in 2009 (done to accommodate my needs in high season, which was helpful.) The first had an exterior bathroom, immediately adjacent the room which I was informed about ahead of time. The second was excellent, but the third at the top floor back was really too small for the price.

Other than that, try to get a room with a turbo bath. I'm a hetrosexual male, but still couldn't resist the urge to take a jacuzzi bubble bath and channel my inner Zsa Zsa Gabor!

Also, the location is great. Sherbrooke St. near St. Denis Street is central, but still quiet, at the bottom of the Plateau district (maybe my favourite neighbourhood in the world. Sigh: I miss it so much!) Lovely Lafontaine Park is just two blocks away. Some funky areas, like St. Laurent Street and the Carré St. Louis area, are also an easy, very pleasant stroll.

Room Tip: Larger room with a turbo jacuzzi style bath tub.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After years of trying to find a small, charming, independent hotel in downtown Montreal, we finally found what we were looking for at Le Chateau de l'Argoat: clean, spacious and well-appointed rooms with character; convenient location near the Quartier Latin; friendly service; beautiful Victorian house; continental breakfast served fresh with good coffee a volonté; noon check out... There's attention to detail here: everything in the room works properly (flat-screen TV, shower, sink, toilet, heating etc.); efficient shades keep the room dark enough for late-morning sleep-ins; proper sound insulation ensure a quiet sleep; plenty of pillows and storage space. Only point that requires improvement: the mattresses are showing signs of aging and are not very supportive. Otherwise we truly enjoyed our stay and will certainly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was referred to Chateau de l'Argoat by a reliable source, so I was very surprised by my experience. Note to self: maintain lower expectations, always. First, the man at the front desk was, how you say, curt? We are nice people. My two companions are actually nicer than I am :) but they're 6" tall guys with beards and such so I believe they were judged by their cover. The cool reception was odd, but we moved on (they did first...they're very laid back). I asked for some food to be put in the freezer, and was told that was fine. Went to room, and found an odd smell. Paint? Cleanser? The hubbie smelled it too, but he's not a pregnant migraine sufferer so it didn't bother him. We POLITELY asked for another room, and were given a raised eyebrow by Mr Reception. He went to smell it himself, then told me with a snarl that "we have not painted" and that I have a "special" nose. Dude, I speak French. I know damn well that if something is "speciale" en francais, it's no compliment. And i can't identify WHAT it is - I just know it's strong enough to be bothersome. So NOW he's got my back up. I ask if we can have a room that someone hasn't checked into yet. "No". Not "No, sorry, everyone has checked in", just "No". Our only choice, we're told, is to switch rooms with our friend. So now hubbie and I have a double bed and Friend has a Queen. Whatever. I text referring friend whose hubbie knows the owner. A half-hour later Mr Reception tells us that I can go smell another room. I do, and it's just as bad. More raised eyebrows and huffs and puffs.
Over the course of the evening, I see people arriving. Checking in. Several rooms clearly had not been checked into yet.
The next day, I find my food in the FRIDGE, thawing...and my car has been hit in the (free, yes, but I'd rather pay $20 for security) parking lot.

I had booked another night weeks later with my mother, which has since been cancelled. I like to give my money to places that appreciate my business, and are adept at problem-solving. NOT this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau de l'Argoat? Share your experiences!