“Great location, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de l'Argoat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montreal
Chateau de l'Argoat
524 Rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec H2L 1K1, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 168 hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
El Portal, California
“Great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were 2 couples sharing a 2 bedroom suite and one child -who didn't show up on the reservation - arriving at 830pm. They handled the extra person with aplomb and made up the fold out couch without a second thought. The suite had one big room and one smallish room with a shower/jacuzzi room and a separate toilet room in between the bedrooms. Beds were comfortable and everything worked. Very nice breakfast brought to our table in the dinning room.
Convenient free parking. We would go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I will add my voice to the chorus of rave reviews!
Perhaps more accurately described as a large B&B, or a small independent hotel, the de l'Argoat is a rare find - great location, friendly staff, good amenities, and excellent price.
Location: basically on the edge of downtown, so a little quiet which is nice, but close to all you need. Rue St Denis with plenty of restaurants, bars etc is just two blocks away. Berri-UQAM, a central Metro terminal plus the terminus of the Airport Express Bus, is also only two blocks walk. And Sherbrooke Metro station is right across the road. So getting around couldn't be easier ($16 for a three day STM pass allows you to use the Metro and buses, including to and from the airport).
Staff: the guys are all charming and oh-so-French, and couldn't have been more helpful or friendly to this Anglophone.
Amenities: free wifi in rooms, breakfast is included (and delicious!)
Rooms: can only speak for room 10, but it is first floor so one flight of stairs only, good size room with a queen bed, small but adequate e suite, excellent heating, and a nice view out over the street but still relatively quiet.
Price: seriously, I couldn't find anything still within the range of the Montreal Metro that was comparable in quality and within the same price range ($85 per night plus taxes).

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for the first floor if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Asnieres, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My second stay at the l'Argoat was this October after a three-year gap. My favourite features are it's ambiance, with warm, wooden panelled hallways and remarkable quiet for a mid-sized hotel. The rooms are also comfortable and are neither sterile-modern or old-tatty, but a very nice in-between.

The staff are also friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. The breakfast muffins are first rate!

My only advice is to be careful in the specifics when choosing a room. I had three in my nine day stay in 2009 (done to accommodate my needs in high season, which was helpful.) The first had an exterior bathroom, immediately adjacent the room which I was informed about ahead of time. The second was excellent, but the third at the top floor back was really too small for the price.

Other than that, try to get a room with a turbo bath. I'm a hetrosexual male, but still couldn't resist the urge to take a jacuzzi bubble bath and channel my inner Zsa Zsa Gabor!

Also, the location is great. Sherbrooke St. near St. Denis Street is central, but still quiet, at the bottom of the Plateau district (maybe my favourite neighbourhood in the world. Sigh: I miss it so much!) Lovely Lafontaine Park is just two blocks away. Some funky areas, like St. Laurent Street and the Carré St. Louis area, are also an easy, very pleasant stroll.

Room Tip: Larger room with a turbo jacuzzi style bath tub.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After years of trying to find a small, charming, independent hotel in downtown Montreal, we finally found what we were looking for at Le Chateau de l'Argoat: clean, spacious and well-appointed rooms with character; convenient location near the Quartier Latin; friendly service; beautiful Victorian house; continental breakfast served fresh with good coffee a volonté; noon check out... There's attention to detail here: everything in the room works properly (flat-screen TV, shower, sink, toilet, heating etc.); efficient shades keep the room dark enough for late-morning sleep-ins; proper sound insulation ensure a quiet sleep; plenty of pillows and storage space. Only point that requires improvement: the mattresses are showing signs of aging and are not very supportive. Otherwise we truly enjoyed our stay and will certainly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was referred to Chateau de l'Argoat by a reliable source, so I was very surprised by my experience. Note to self: maintain lower expectations, always. First, the man at the front desk was, how you say, curt? We are nice people. My two companions are actually nicer than I am :) but they're 6" tall guys with beards and such so I believe they were judged by their cover. The cool reception was odd, but we moved on (they did first...they're very laid back). I asked for some food to be put in the freezer, and was told that was fine. Went to room, and found an odd smell. Paint? Cleanser? The hubbie smelled it too, but he's not a pregnant migraine sufferer so it didn't bother him. We POLITELY asked for another room, and were given a raised eyebrow by Mr Reception. He went to smell it himself, then told me with a snarl that "we have not painted" and that I have a "special" nose. Dude, I speak French. I know damn well that if something is "speciale" en francais, it's no compliment. And i can't identify WHAT it is - I just know it's strong enough to be bothersome. So NOW he's got my back up. I ask if we can have a room that someone hasn't checked into yet. "No". Not "No, sorry, everyone has checked in", just "No". Our only choice, we're told, is to switch rooms with our friend. So now hubbie and I have a double bed and Friend has a Queen. Whatever. I text referring friend whose hubbie knows the owner. A half-hour later Mr Reception tells us that I can go smell another room. I do, and it's just as bad. More raised eyebrows and huffs and puffs.
Over the course of the evening, I see people arriving. Checking in. Several rooms clearly had not been checked into yet.
The next day, I find my food in the FRIDGE, thawing...and my car has been hit in the (free, yes, but I'd rather pay $20 for security) parking lot.

I had booked another night weeks later with my mother, which has since been cancelled. I like to give my money to places that appreciate my business, and are adept at problem-solving. NOT this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I would definitely stay here again. The main reason is because of the staff. The desk man recommended 3 restaurants close to the hotel which we visited on 3 different nights and they all had excellent menus and food along with reasonable prices. This recommendation was very important in a city with so very many restaurants to choose from. The breakfast offered was a notch above the usual continental style offerings with a wait person who took orders & brought the food to the table. The toasting was done for you! I am American and speak only a little French. The Chateau de lArgoat staff was always cordial and understood my needs.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have any physical limitations, you might ask for the first floor. Yo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived on a rainy afternoon to find a warm, quiet and comfortable room with a big bay window overlooking the street. The use of color and art on the walls added to the avant-guard yet European flavor of the hotel. The rooms are well cared for, spreads and towels like new and all very clean. The reception staff was helpful, and seemed to enjoy helping me with my French. The location is perfect for getting around and near St Deny' street with some very good restaurants in multiple ethnic versions. We especially liked our fancy dinner at the Culinary School that is just around the corner.

Room Tip: The stairs might present a challenge to some, and some of the bath rooms and tubs are tiny while oth...
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau de l'Argoat? Share your experiences!