“Great location for a hockey game or just to visit the downtown without the car” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ruby Foo's

You added Hotel Ruby Foo's to your Saves list
Hotel Ruby Foo's
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7655 Decarie Blvd, Montreal, Quebec H4P 2H2, Canada (Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
BOOK DIRECT SAVE 15%
Ranked #65 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is right near the Higway 15 South (also called Decarie) so if you come either from the west (Ottawa, Toronto) or from the south (US) this is located right at an Exit so it's impossible to miss. It's painted in red and black, and it's quite an unique concept in Montreal. If you are going to watch a hockey game, save on parking stress and money and take the Namur metro, straight line to Bell Center in 10 minutes. Or take the Highway and exit Guy in 5 minutes for Crescent street or St Laurent in 10 minutes. This said, there is nothing to be seen around the hotel, other that a few restaurants and a shopping center.
This place it's all about location. Note that, however, since it's just on the side of the highway, it can get noisy and the area it's quite polluted at traffic hours.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I lived in Montreal for more than 15 years and had only been in the Ruby Foo's Hotel once for a party. But coming back for a family visit, I thought it would be well placed for what we wanted to do this weekend (less downtown, more Montreal west, even west island). I found a great spring special and am very happy with my decision. Parking is free- I'm tickled right off the bat. Check in was easy, reception was efficient and pleasant. And they are affiliated with aeroplan points- another nice feature. The elevator was quick, and the halls are tastefully decorated with the ongoing Asian theme. Our room is lovely- just like the pictures. I like the wood and fabric, with the only art being the mural under the rolling window panel (which works a treat to keep the light out). The bed is comfortable. My one reservation is the bathroom - it's fine. It could be better. 3 towels for 2 people please, not just 2 (yes, I can call and I will, but I feel it should be here to start with). The renovation of the bathroom just missed resurfacing the tub. But the counter, mirror, and tiles are all very nice.

I would recommend staying here, even if you are going to spend some time downtown- easy drive and you're also a 1 min walk from Namur metro station. And of course, Orange Julep is across the street!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Canaan, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

Went to Montreal with the family. Husband and younger son were going to a hockey game, so we all went. The metro was no more than a 5 minute walk up the street- same side of the street. We took the metro to town for the hockey game. We enjoyed walking around a bit before the game. After my husband and son went in for the game my other son and I went to a nice restaurant for dinner. St. Catherine street was a short walk, we enjoyed checking out the shops. We took the metro back and enjoyed time just hanging out in our room and watching a movie. Very convenient to walk to the metro. Clean and comfortable rooms. Quiet. Restaurants right there. Cheaper than staying downtown.

Room Tip: Second floor at rear was very quiet. Front overlooks busy street and parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
HRFYUL, Director of Sales at Hotel Ruby Foo's, responded to this review, March 24, 2015
Dear Sharon,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of visiting Montreal and staying at our hotel. As you mentioned the metro is conveniently located close to the hotel and provides easy access to the downtown core. We are happy that you found our rooms comfortable and hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Montreal.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

I stay here for work occasionally and it is an okay hotel. Service is like anywhere else in Montreal...nonchalant and vaguely pleasant. If you can get past the faux Chinoiserie it has great rooms with huge, comfy beds and a decent bathroom with good toiletries. Bathrobes come with the suites and there is plenty of closet room. Alcoholic drinks are insanely expensive at the bar, and kinda watery. The views are pretty hideous, but it comes with the territory in this part of town. Good for a work trip but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

We booked this hotel online (Priceline) when we decided on a last-minute trip to Montreal for a Valentine's Day/weekend getaway. Needless to say - because of the special occasion, and the short timeline, most hotels downtown were fully booked, or out of our price range. We were looking for at least a 3.5 star - but not looking to break the bank. Hotel Ruby Foo's kept popping up as an option, but I was worried about the location in Midtown, as well as the "unknown" factor, as it was not a hotel or a chain I was familiar with. Planned on seeing family downtown over the weekend as well, and wondered how cumbersome it would be to get back and forth from the hotel without spending a fortune in metro/bus/taxi/parking fees. Finally - afraid that we would end up with no place at all to stay - I booked it online for a terrific price (less than $ 150 a night for a 4-star), which INCLUDES free parking (something I knew we would never get downtown). Free WiFi in our room as well. Booked a "newly renovated" King Room. We arrived - an easy drive in coming from the west. Arrived, and parked in the large parking lot right in front of the hotel. Exterior was nothing special, but I had warned my husband not to judge a book by its cover, as I had read in previous reviews that it appeared dated on the outside. Check-in was a breeze - service was friendly, courteous, and welcoming. Got a room on the 3rd floor, and was impressed by the lobby, the staff so far, and the interior vibe and decor right from the get-go. Entered our room - and was impressed - VERY large, great bed, lovely linens, new beds, spotless. Yes - it's obvious that the hotel itself it dated, and that the rooms have been updated. For example - original interior doors, trim, etc. have been painted a glossy black, as opposed to having been replaced with new. All bathroom fixtures aren't brand new. Some of the room furniture (desk, dresser), are a bit worn if you look closely. However, overall, the room and the hotel itself had a fresh, modern feel. Super clean from what I could ascertain, and I'm usually a stickler for that. An Asian theme runs throughout - with a lovely mural on one wall of our room, and a sliding wooden panel to cover the window for darnkness and privacy. Flat screen wall-mounted television, bathrobes (oddly displayed, as though they were in a boutique hanging from hooks on the wall), coffee maker, fridge in our room, etc. As for transportation - we had nothing to be worried about. Once we parked the car upon arrival - we never used it again until we left three days later. We took a taxi once to a VERY nearby restaurant, only because it was snowing, and bitter cold - but we could have easily walked. "Namur" Metro/Subway station is literally a 2-minute walk south of the front door of the hotel. We purchased a three day pass, so we could ride to our hearts content. For one trip - it's a mere $3 per person if you don't want a pass. An easy ride downtown on the "Orange" line, with a quick and seamless switch to the "Green" line got us right in the middle of the downtown hub within 20 minutes, and the same trip in reverse to get us back to the hotel easily. We made the trek a couple of times, and it was perfect to meet up with family downtown for shopping, and lunch. Plenty of stores (Walmart, Liquor, convenience, some other shopping) nearby, lots of "fast food" (Timmie's, Harveys, McDonalds) options for a quick bit, as well as a number of chain restaurants less than a block away as well (Baton Rouge - YUMMY). Two restaurants right on site, a nice Italian place that we ordered room service from one night, that came quickly, and hot, and it was delicious. Also - an "Eggspectations" restaurant right there on the property for a delicious breakfast of Eggs Benedict. There's also a nice lounge in the hotel where we enjoyed a glass of wine. All in all - it was a terrific surprise. It was nice to not have to navigate driving downtown, nice to avoid the $ 25+ per night in parking fees at a downtown hotel, and an easy subway ride to the heart of Montreal. It is a surprisingly lovely hotel for an amazing price for what we got in return, with terrific service upon check-in, during our stay, and checking out (we requested, and received a late, 1:00 pm checkout time with no difficulty at all). I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room, at the end of the hallway away from the elevator on the third floor was perfect for us.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
HRFYUL, Director of Sales at Hotel Ruby Foo's, responded to this review, February 25, 2015
Dear Tania B,

Thank you for taking the time to add such a detailed review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. Since our hotel is independent and not under a known hotel brand, new clients need to discover us and past clients to rediscover us. Many of our guests have expressed their appreciation for our parking being offered free of charge and also for the convenience of our hotel’s close proximity to the subway system. This allows ease of travel within the city, with none of the driving hassles and extra costs.

We appreciate that you would stay at our hotel again in a heartbeat and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

I have been visiting Montreal my entire life. When I was a child I stayed with family, as an adolescent with McGill friends, and as an adult in hotels. I prefer to stay in Old Montreal because I find it most transporting compared to living in Manhattan. On this trip I stayed at Ruby Foo's for two reasons: 1) I was visiting family who live close to the hotel and it was too cold to weather the winds off the river; 2) I had other family staying at the hotel.

I travel frequently and stay at hotels all over the world. When I saw that this hotel was rated four stars, I had my doubts. I know the area from childhood runs to the Orange Julep. It's on the Decarie, a gray, ugly, modernist highway in poor repair. The area is a hodge-podge of chain restaurants, a horse track, and a strip club. And the hotel fits.

First impressions: I pulled up with my family and no one was on hand to help with bags. No luggage carts in sight, either. I went inside and an old porter was grimacing at his computer. Next to him, a single cart had junk on it. He told me I could move the junk and take the cart. Swell. The young woman behind the desk was fine, but neither offered a welcome nor exceeded the helpfulness if an automated check-in computer.

The room: Asian-inspired is a joke. My room, and the other two I saw, were large, but shabby with cheap renovations, old heating units, and shoddy furniture. The bed was comfortable. Housekeeping was very poor. The room inspired thoughts of Quality Inn's I've been stranded in during bad weather.

The bar: so-so cocktails, overpriced, friendly service.

Summary: Ruby Foo's is a relatively inexpensive, budget hotel with significant limitations masquerading as an "Asian-inspired" four star hotel. Avoid except out of necessity. I know I will.

Stayed February 2015
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

We stay often in this centrally located hotel off highway 15/Decarie Expressway at Jean Talon Blvd near Town of Mount Royal, a suburb of greater Montreal. The rooms are modern and the beds excellent. The staff is friendly and the hotel is located right near one of the metro(or subway) stops for easy access to the rest of the city!
There is an outdoor pool, two excellent restaurants and an excellent gymnasium. Add to this a great if pricey men's barber (Gino's) and you have a well situated hotel with many services. The internet Cafe is small but accessible and the in room televisions are not HD but otherwise ok. Rates are very competitive and generally cheaper than most four and five stars especially downtown. Outdoor Parking is free as is Internet access. Great value for the dollar.

Both restaurants are excellent! For day time there is "egg speciation" and a brand new evening bar/restaurant that is first class serving an Italian menu.

Recommendation: Stay here and find out what four stars means when it should really be five stars!

Room Tip: Great shopping at centre d'echats Rockland nearby mall! Metro stop is Namur...20 minutes downtow...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear Lorne B,

Thank you for your review. We really enjoyed your title “Ruby Foo’s Hotel: home away from home!” You mentioned our beds being excellent and we have received many positive comments from our guests about the sleeping experience. Our second restaurant il Figo just opened in the month of January. The Mediterranean inspired menu and warm décor has been well received by our customers.

Once more thank you and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to our beautiful city!

Director of Sales and Marketing / Directrice des ventes et marketing

Been to Hotel Ruby Foo's? Share your experiences!