I've been to Burgundy Lion many times since it opened and I used to love it. I've been twice this year and both times the food was really good but the service and the atmosphere were atrocious.
To recap my latest visit:
- 30minute wait for a table, crammed in the entrance with over 15 other people waiting for a table too. They should have a reserved section for customers who are waiting.
- Had a really hard time getting a beer at the bar while I was waiting, because of the "traffic". Again, rearrange you bar so that people who just want a pint can get one!
- Got a table next to the entrance, with people standing next to us all evening, waiting for a table to open up! See a pattern here?
- Our server was really nice and courteous, but that didn't make up for the fact that she never checked on us, never offered more drinks or even the dessert menu. It felt like they wanted us to leave so they could give our table to someone else... :(
- The atmosphere, as I said, was atrocious. LOUD! They allow too many people in, everybody yells, it's insane. They also let the table of 4 next to us add 3 more people and when we pushed our table away a bit, we were scolded and told that the servers could not pass. Not our problem!
- The wait for our food was short and it was delicious. I had the roast - perfect medium rare - and my friend had the Lancashire Pot and we both loved our meals. My Yorkshire pudding was a bit on the well done side, but it was ok. Also, if you order this, ask for extra sauce, they only give you a tiny serving.
- The House Ale is amazing.
Here's what I suggest: they should redesign their pub. They should have the restaurant part upstairs, with reserved seating. The pub should be downstairs, for drinks only, with tables on a first come first serve basis. Right now what they have is chaos and unless they do something to improve customer experience, I will not be returning. Not even for a drink.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.