“Good surface look, horrible details” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Loft Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loft Hotel to your Saves list
Loft Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   334 Terrasse St Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1E8, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
Half off second night
Ranked #87 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Good surface look, horrible details”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

When you first walk in you're stunned by the beautiful large rooms that are hard to come by in Mtl. But as you unpack your suitcase you notice other things, like the wires sticking out of the wall, the non existent Heater/air conditioner, the broken toilet seat, the broken fridge, the stained window panels.... Need I say more? Oh wait I forgot the broken bed frame. (Made for a very bouncy night with my FRIENDS.) stay here if your a rich person. But the majority of us want quality for our quantity, and you don't get it here.

Room Tip: Higher floors. Do not get 504. It's horrible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

lets start with the giant loft rooms. it seems like a good idea. except the rooms have lots of damage from people partying. the floors are scratched very badly. the room can get quite drafty and the window that you can open is very old. i stayed several nights and getting up to use the bathroom at night was quite a long walk. it was an interesting concept with the open pipes... but one of them was very warm... within reach going up the wall to the ceiling, which i am sure many people make the mistake of touching. some noisy seminars happened saturday.

the lobby is terrible. it must be renovated immediately. its all wrong... breakfast???

the staff is rude. unhelpful. rarely in the office. made check in difficult. parking impossible.

i am English speaking, young, and drive a nice car. they treated me very badly. they demanded an very big damage deposit from me. i am not some young teenager. i am older than 25. it was just unprofessional. no receipt was given till sometime the next day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The reviews of this hotel seem mixed, but we were very happy to have stayed here. We were put in a room on the 2nd floor at first, which had a problem with lack of heat. But they efficiently moved us to a room on the 4th floor. It did not have a kitchen, but it was even more beautiful - and the largest we have stayed in anywhere. It had a sense of style and glamor which brought a satisfied smile to our faces when we walked past cookie-cutter hotels downtown.

We were also very happy with the location, in the Quartier Latin beside a strip of interesting restaurants. It is a quick walk to either Sherbrooke metro station or the Main bus terminal , and if you ride the express 747 bus from the airport it is about a 300 yard walk from the terminal. The most characterful areas of Montreal are close - rue St Denis, rue St Laurent, the Plateau.
Housekeeping is a little erratic - replacement shampoo may not appear, surfaces may not be wiped. But we had no problems with noise. There is no food service, but there is a street full of places just outside, Overall, we had a unique, glamorous experience with the stunning room and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We found the 4th floor was good - it is the entry floor and a remarkable old elevator goes DOWN from...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bancroft, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

While we found the physical hotel to be interesting and unique with great potential, the positives were outweighed by the negatives. These issues were passed on to the staff and to the manager (Manon), who was contacted with our list of problems. He was also contacted by email and did not respond.
1) Our loft unit was unit 201, and we were told that this unit was recently renovated. The renovation was clearly incomplete. Our bathroom door actually fell off, and as it contains glass, could have resulted in serious injury. The baseboards are incomplete and the room has a stark empty feel - no art on the walls etc. The example picture on the internet shows a room with nice lighting but our room had only basic dim lighting.
2) There was an event Saturday night, and there were people loading equipment on the loading dock between 3-5:00AM, making it impossible for us to sleep. There should be a policy of no loading at that time of night. This is totally unacceptable.
3) The fridge makes a clunking sound as if an animal is trapped inside.
4) The drain in the bathroom was completely plugged with hair. We had to go digging to get any drainage happening.
5) Room cleaning was poor. Our bed was only made on one occasion and cleaning was haphazard.
6) The hotel is in a sketchy area of Montreal, with needles and condoms scattered outside the back doors which one exits through into an alley which leads to parking. This is no fault of the hotel itself, but should be mentioned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

If all you are looking for is a gorgeous room, that is all you will get at Loft Hotel. True to name, the rooms are loft-like, with kitchenettes. Bed linens were luxurious and bed was very comfortable. But that's where the good review ends. The "Hotel" is at the end of a weird street and "Reception" is manned by 1-2 people who are not very welcoming nor helpful. They could not answer a single question (about parking in Old Quebec) nor could they offer any suggestions for this out-of-town visitor. Parking, which is advertised as an additional $20 is around the corner. When the attendant is AWOL, I had to drive back to the hotel and ask them to come around to open the garage, which is privately operated. I was told that because it was after 6pm, the attendant went home for the night and I will have to discuss the price for the overnight stay with him when I retrieve my car. The freight elevator is self-operated, which means that you lift the grated door when the elevator arrives, enter the cage, lower the grate and then you must hold the Up or Down button until you arrive at your destination. You then once again, raise the grate, exit and re-lower the grate. The hallways are creepy - cement without a single welcoming sign or piece of furniture. The ONLY amenity this hotel offers is breakfast which makes the Holiday Inn coffee and prepackaged danish look lavish. There are no other amenities offered by the hotel at all. I was amazed that Reception permitted the man who was delivering food we had ordered to come directly to our room. I think for security purposes they should have at least called up to our room to make sure that we did, in fact, order food. The neighborhood is grimy, a throwback to NY's East Village in the 60's. This is more of an apartment than a hotel. For long stays this may work, but as a tourist, I would prefer to pay the same price and have some amenities - such as desk and other staff that smile and say good morning. Although other reviewers complained of noise and loud parties, we had a very quiet night. In short, I would NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: if you must stay ask for a room that is accessed by the "new" elevator. I hear that thos...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Belleville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have traveled much in my life. I was a surgeon and attended many conferences and experienced many hotels in many countries.

I highly recommend this hotel because the rooms are excellent. very large, well appointed, and well kept.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and most speak English.

It is located near many places of interest in Montreal, it has an excellent location.

I have read the negative reviews from other travelers and find their comments without proper justification. Do some travelers do nothing but complain? I tell serious travelers to pay attention to the positive reviews and critically see if the negative reviews follow any pattern of service or quality issue, or are just single unique complaints. Single unique complaints tend to be issues of that person rather than the hotel. That's my opinion anyways.

Keep in mind.......this hotel has huge rooms, good quality appliances for families that wish to spend some time in the room, and is not part of any international hotel chains. It provides the traveler with excellent accommodations that are flexible in nature, excellent location, comfortable beds and surroundings and helpful and friendly staff. All done at a fair price.

This review has been written by a guest that has no link or affiliation with this hotel, just a very satisfied customer. I only write this in case some reader thinks this is some review conducted by some person associated with the hotel. I am an independent traveler that attended with his wife for a nice trip to Montreal for her birthday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Loft Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Loft Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Well, we should be thanking you for taking the time to let us know that we're doing a great job.
Although for us at the Loft Hotel, it hardly feels like a job....it`s more of an exchange. We love the people business and love offering service that is memorable. In turn, we have great relationships with our guests and enjoy seeing them come back.
We hope that will be the case for you! Please come visite us again.
lausanne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The loft offers gorgeous rooms that are relatively affordable. However, the service is absolutely appalling and condescending. I travel 200 days/year and I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel.

Here's something they don't tell you before you book: a whole 50% of the revenues of this hotel come from events (e.g. wedding parties, etc.) held in large reception halls alongside with the rooms. Ironically, they specify in the agreement when you book a room that you’re not allowed to have more than 2 guests in your room; but they’ll gladly rent the room next to yours to 100 people bent on partying all night.

Here’s my experience with The Loft: I booked a room for 2 nights for a total of CND 650. The first night was all right (although we left a bit late in the morning and they didn’t bother to clean up the room – we had to ask them when we got back later that night). The second was awful: there was a party the floor below and we couldn’t sleep: the music was incredibly loud, the walls were shaking and drunken people were stumbling all over the place, yelling and being generally obnoxious. I complained and they finally offered to move us to a basement window-less room with no air conditioning (it was 30C / 86F that day). We slept a few hours and went back to our room. When I checked out, I asked for a discount (since we couldn’t sleep, they hadn’t told us about the party and we had to move in the middle of the night to a basement room without air conditioning). The condescending clerk refused to give a discount and basically told me to get lost. They even refused to keep our bags for the day.

Never, never again will I stay at the Loft. You shouldn’t either. Go to Opus on Sherbrooke or the ITHC just 2 blocks north of the loft on St-Denis: fantastic service, great rooms and you won’t be treated like you’re a worthless piece of nothing once they’ve got your credit card details.

Room Tip: just don't go there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Loft Hotel M, Public Relations Manager at Loft Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
We were very surprised to hear about your stay at the Loft Hotel Montreal.
In view of some of the other comments on Trip Advisor, it hardly seems like the same Hotel.
As a small hotel, we tend to offer amazing service and most of our clients benefit from a very personal experience.
Although true that we have meeting and events spaces, I wonder where you got information on the revenues that it generates. When renting roooms for events, we tend to also rent bedrooms close to the event.
From what I can tell, you were situated too close to the event and for that we truly appologise. I`m uncertain as to why you weren't given a rebate; could it be that you had booked through a 3rd party? That would explain why we weren't able to give you a rebate.
At the Loft Hotel, we strive to go beyond and I`m afraid in your case we came up short.
Again, our appologies for a less than wonderful experience.

Been to Loft Hotel? Share your experiences!