“AWFUL - 350$ for a window-less room without a/c!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Loft Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loft Hotel to your Saves list
Loft Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   334-336 Terasse St Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1C8, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #94 of 164 hotels in Montreal
lausanne
“AWFUL - 350$ for a window-less room without a/c!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The loft offers gorgeous rooms that are relatively affordable. However, the service is absolutely appalling and condescending. I travel 200 days/year and I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel.

Here's something they don't tell you before you book: a whole 50% of the revenues of this hotel come from events (e.g. wedding parties, etc.) held in large reception halls alongside with the rooms. Ironically, they specify in the agreement when you book a room that you’re not allowed to have more than 2 guests in your room; but they’ll gladly rent the room next to yours to 100 people bent on partying all night.

Here’s my experience with The Loft: I booked a room for 2 nights for a total of CND 650. The first night was all right (although we left a bit late in the morning and they didn’t bother to clean up the room – we had to ask them when we got back later that night). The second was awful: there was a party the floor below and we couldn’t sleep: the music was incredibly loud, the walls were shaking and drunken people were stumbling all over the place, yelling and being generally obnoxious. I complained and they finally offered to move us to a basement window-less room with no air conditioning (it was 30C / 86F that day). We slept a few hours and went back to our room. When I checked out, I asked for a discount (since we couldn’t sleep, they hadn’t told us about the party and we had to move in the middle of the night to a basement room without air conditioning). The condescending clerk refused to give a discount and basically told me to get lost. They even refused to keep our bags for the day.

Never, never again will I stay at the Loft. You shouldn’t either. Go to Opus on Sherbrooke or the ITHC just 2 blocks north of the loft on St-Denis: fantastic service, great rooms and you won’t be treated like you’re a worthless piece of nothing once they’ve got your credit card details.

Room Tip: just don't go there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Loft Hotel M, Public Relations Manager at Loft Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
We were very surprised to hear about your stay at the Loft Hotel Montreal.
In view of some of the other comments on Trip Advisor, it hardly seems like the same Hotel.
As a small hotel, we tend to offer amazing service and most of our clients benefit from a very personal experience.
Although true that we have meeting and events spaces, I wonder where you got information on the revenues that it generates. When renting roooms for events, we tend to also rent bedrooms close to the event.
From what I can tell, you were situated too close to the event and for that we truly appologise. I`m uncertain as to why you weren't given a rebate; could it be that you had booked through a 3rd party? That would explain why we weren't able to give you a rebate.
At the Loft Hotel, we strive to go beyond and I`m afraid in your case we came up short.
Again, our appologies for a less than wonderful experience.

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The Loft offers huge loft style rooms - I would say the largest I've ever had the pleasure to stay in. However for all it's bigness the bathroom was tiny and poorly laid out. The bathroom was also in a state of disrepair with missing towel racks, patched holes and in need of paint. I thought I was back home in one of my unfinished reno jobs.

I don't think I'll be back to the Loft unless I need to squeeze 6 or more people into 1 room

• Stayed June 2012
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I left my iPhone in my room one day when I decided to go out exploring in Montreal and it was not there when I returned to my room later in the day! I complained to both the woman at the front desk as well as the manager and they said incredibly condescedingly that I must of been mistaken and lost it while I was walking around. The receptionist especially was incredibly rude. This is certainly not true because I had left it charging. I am appalled with this "Hotel" and their service! and extremely so that the cleaning staff or staff in general would have the audacity to STEAL from their customers! I am telling everybody I know to NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Loft Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
We are very disturbed when guests are unnable to locate lost items. We can assure you that our staff is very reliable and regularly report forgotten items in guest rooms once guest have left.

We also encourage guest to not leave valuable or important items unattended in the room, this for both your and our staff's protection.

We are saddened that your stay with us was tarred by this incident.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is not a hotel. The staff here does not treat you like a guest. Careful to give your money to these people because they may be shut down at any point for not actually having a hotel license. They rent loft rooms on a nightly basis and should be listed on AirBnB not as a hotel. Also most of the rooms are across the hall from "Special Events Rooms" where they hold parties so I would steer clear unless you want people knocking on the door all night.

My experience was awful. When I checked into the "hotel" I asked if i could book an extra night. The guy manning the computer took my money. At night there was an event across the hall for must have been more then 200 people (imagine the foot traffic in front of your door, unbearable) I complained but they said they didnt have anywhere to move me. I asked if there was another event the next night, sure enough yes. I told them they needed to move me for the next night and the front desk staff told me no problem there was something available. The next morning I get a knock on my door from someone claiming to be a manager, she tells me in very broken english that someone had smelled smoke from my room and that they were going to keep my deposit. She also informed me that they didnt have any more rooms (even though I had paid already...) She then tried to keep my security deposit. After a horrible night of sleep I lost it, I demanded she bring the police to resolve the matter. When she left the room I tried calling the local hotel association and they said they were not listed as an actual hotel so they could not help me.

I was so disgusted by the situation I went to the front desk, demanded a refund for the 2nd night and my security deposit, threatening my lawyer to get involved and the better business bureau. The manager finally obliged and I was happy to get out of there but had to find another room for that night.

Bottom line, this is not a hotel, the staff does not know how to run it as a hotel and it is not even registered as a hotel so dont stay here.

Room Tip: Stay Away!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
hassan c, Manager at Loft Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
We are very disturbed to hear that your stay did not go well. The Hotel does have meeting and events space and unfortunately the event being hosted the evening of your stay was much louder than what is acceptable.
We are a fully liscenced hotel but because we only have 35 rooms, we cannot be a member of the Hotel Association. That is why they weren't able to help you.
Also, we have a strict non smoking policy which is why you were disturbed in your room. We were simply responding to a customer complaint and appologise if this incident contributed to your less than favorable stay.
The Loft Hotel has been in operation for almost two years now and has a loyal and happy clientèle. Although smaller than a chain type hotel, our professional and experienced staff are always saddened when guests leave unhappy. The Loft Hotel is a limited service hotel where emphasis is put on service rather than size.
We however want to thank you for your comments as they help us improve our customer service.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel, very English friendly, good staff, most importantly the suite was stunning. had a whole kitchen that made me want to stay forever and super attractive and fun decor totally different than any "chain" hotel we usually stay in. Price was absolutely reasonable and location was nice and central. Great find!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We paid $127 including all taxes for 1 night (Jan 1), with complimentary breakfast. Based on the price, I got exactly what I expected (and a bit more). The room was incredibly spacious and well appointed. Large flat screen tv, bed with duvet, several windows that opened (for fresh air), leather sofa, and stainless steel appliances in good working condition.The bathroom was ok. The closest elevator to our room was the old-school caged elevator. It was a little tricky to use at first since you had to line the elevator up direclty with the floor level or else the door wouldn't open. Front desk staff was great too. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the hotel finishings were not quite impeccable, but for my 1 night stay, I didn't really care. My friend's room looked much more fresh and finished than my room did.

Overall, I'd probably stay here again and refer it to others.

Note to the hotel: perhaps keep an iron and ironing board in the room so that your clients don't have to go pick one up from the front desk, and also maybe supply those 'do not disturb signs' to advise housekeeping to not come in the room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

The Loft Hotel was the worst hotel we have ever been too and we travel a lot!
Its all show and no action. Yes the rooms are very spacious and modern, but please don't let this fool ya! We spent the wknd. in Montreal, overall, Montreal is an awesome city and we had a good time, but the hotel was a downer, i would give it a -1 rating if i could. We checked in Friday eve. at 7pm. we noticed that the room had no cable? in this day and age, no cable? we let it slip, then we noticed the toilet didn't work, so we called and asked to get it fixed, they said that is not possible until Monday and the customer service was beyond poor. They don't have any maintenance workers on site - not good for a hotel!! they put us in another room, again, all show, as it was very nice. After 1 shower, we noticed the water wasn't going anywhere, yup, the shower drain wasn't working, they put us in room #3, pls. note we stayed there for only 2 nights!!!! poor ratio if you ask me. The 3rd room was again nice (ALL SHOW), we noticed the room was very cold, we tried to increase the heat, but there was no HEAT, we called to complain about this, the hotel staff said the heat comes on at 6pm to 6am?!!, pls. note, its November in Montreal! What an INSANE rule to have!! We packed our things and left, after a threat or 2 we got some of our $ back and we went to another hotel nearby and enjoyed the rest of our stay, in a place that provided great customer service, with a simple room that had the essentials working with no problems.

Room Tip: Just don't look at how the room looks, make sure everything is working in that room!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Loft Hotel? Share your experiences!