“Worth a try” 4 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #4 of 4,317 restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Authentique bistro de quartier. Ambiance conviviale. Des produits vrais et fais maison. Votre meilleur ami epicurien et sa femme vous recoivent chez eux pour une bonne bouffe.
Bellingham, Washington
“Worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The restaurant is small and quaint with an open kitchen design where it is completely visible from the restaurant if one wanted to stand at the the counter and watch. I believe it is a husband and wife team where she works the front and he cooks.

Not knowledgeable about french food I opted for the Foie Gras au Torchon and the Confit de Canard, a first for both, while my wife had the Saumon Fumé Maison and the Morue Poelée Sauce Coco et Curry.

Prior to getting our appetizer we were brought a very simple yet elegant hourderve of trout on a chip type cracker. I don't know how the trout was prepared but I can say it was to die for.

When the appetizers came, the Foie Gras was 3 rounds, along with a pinch each of of pepper,chives, and onion along side, as well as a couple pieces of crispy toasted bread or wafer of sorts. I have to say I was quite impressed. The flavor was very delicate with a very rich smooth texture. It is not something I would order regularly but I am glad I had it.

The salmon was lox style and while the flavor was very good, the texture was a little odd that it was slightly rubbery. And although it came with a small portion of a delicious cucumber coleslaw of sorts, there were no wafers or such to eat it with.

The Duck Confit came served on a bed of lentils which were prepared very well. Having now seen pictures here on TA, the duck unfortunately was WAY over done. We thought it was but didn't know better at the time. The outside portion while very tasty, was very dry. And given duck legs are not big, there was not a lot of moist meat inside.

The Curried cod came served with eggplant which was very good, and polenta which was delicious. The curry was exceptional as it was very mild which went well with the cod. My wife thought there was too much pepper on the cod however. The bit that I tried must have missed the outside coating as I didn't notice it.

All in all we enjoyed our dinner but obviously can't compare it to other french cuisine. The environment is very inviting and prices are reasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
“Most amazing food in Montreal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Gluten free menu. So amazing. started with a small tartar. The app was amazing goat cheese mussels. Dinner Duck and apple sauce. Chocolate moose for dresser. Simply the best place to eat in Montreal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Believe the reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. There may be even better meals to be had in Montréal, but not at the affordable pricing of Bistro Duo D. Go there ... eat well ... be happy. But do make a reservation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto
“Excellent service; great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We tested out the Trip Advisor ranking system and went for the #1 restaurant in Montreal. I must say it was a reassuring experience. I read a few of the reviews before going also and they were dead on. The service--very personable and attentive. I was surprised to see the place half empty at 8:30 on a Saturday night actually, but that maybe enhanced the experience by allowing us extra attention from the staff. The food, simple, straight forward French classics, but very well executed. Appetizers were two french onion soups (quite standard save for the bacon morsels which added some real nice extra flavour) and a salad. Oh, and before the appetizers our server came with a really nice amuse-bouche, which was like a cod paste served on a small cracker. For mains, 2 stake frites (cooked perfectly as ordered), and a trout with coconut curry sauce. Also very nicely done from the sample bite I took, and perhaps the least French classic of all the items in the menu. Definitely recommendable!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the bistro and the owner would not let me sit down. There were only people sitting at three tables and there were reserved signs on several other tables, but several tables were empty including the bar. I was by myself and she would not even let me sit at the empty bar. She explained that she only would take a small number of trip advisor tourist with reservation at least a day in advance. I explained to her that i walked two miles in cold weather to get there, but she did not care. Apparently, she would rather have an empty seat. I hope it stays empty.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
bduo1380, Propriétaire at Bistro Duo.D, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hi my name is Catherine and i am the owner with my husband the chef. When you arrived you did not have a reservation. Some time this is not really a problem even for one person. But this time we were about to be filled up whit our reservation witch we did. You made a reservation for the next day under the name of Jim. So we don't understand what happend to deserve this review????
Catherine and Philippe.