“Fantastic hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

You added Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal to your Saves list
Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   980 Boulevard de Maisonneuve, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1M5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #24 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Brooklyn, New York
“Fantastic hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is going to be a long review because I have so much to say about this lovely gem of a hotel! I hope I include all the information that I know I know I look for in a review and a hotel.

For starters, this hotel is in a great location. I admittedly am kind of boring these days and don't go to clubs, I'm much more of a chill out and people watch and have some drinks kind of person, so your mileage may vary.

For me, this location was great because it was only a few blocks from the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, a few blocks from Dorchester Square where you can get the hop on/hop off buses and a main tourist info office to set up other city tours, ten minute walk from where several free outdoor tents were located for the Jazz Festival, walking distance to a number of other museums/galleries (including the McCord Museum), not that far from the Royal Park, several delicious restaurants in the area, the underground giant shopping complex starts on the same block as the hotel, St Catherine is street is a block away for shopping as well with an English and French movie theater, there are a few public transportation options right by the hotel and a taxi waiting area across the street along with a bank/ATM access...it's a really great location in that regard. I was there during a heat wave, so I didn't walk down to the water or old Montreal, I took the hop on/off buses but it's definitely feasible in better weather.

The staff is amazingly nice. Very lovely, wonderful people who will do a lot to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The bedding is all down, and my friend is allergic to feathers so they promptly switched her bedding out to just as comfortable synthetic materials that wouldn't make her have a reaction. There was a free snack cart that made the rounds in the early evening (free snacks! seriously!). There are two bottles of complimentary water in the room which the hotel happily resupplied for us once. The drinks at the bar were very good, the white wine sangria is beyond tasty so try that for sure, and I had a Chablis that was SO GOOD for 13cad a glass.

The gym is quite small but the machines were well kept, I got in a few light work outs. You might have to wait a while for a spot, crowd depending, so be prepared for that at least in the mornings. The pool is also small but very refreshing and seemed pretty well protected from the sun, plus the water is heated. I thoroughly appreciated an afternoon dip after several days of intense heat wave humidity.

And let me tell you all something right now. The beds? Are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, in my entire life. I don't know how they're so comfortable. It can only be magic. My friend and I slept in our beds and said constantly, 'this bed is so comfortable!!'.

The room decor was cozy, peaceful. The curtains are quite good at darkening the room so be careful, you can keep snoozin', that's how dark and cozy the room can get. I had two beds in my room, my friend and I shared and there was enough space for both of us. More than two people might be tight, though. 90% of the time the room was incredibly quiet. We were on the 4th floor across from the gym, so we heard that door opening and closing a lot. And randomly at night there would be loud music for a short spell, which was off putting but I'm a light sleeper by default so I always wear ear plugs when traveling. I wasn't woken up once with ear plugs in. If you're also a light sleeper then I recommend staying on a higher floor for sure, and not on the 2nd (where the pool is located) or the 4th (by the gym) so you have less foot traffic in the hallway. I found plenty of French and English tv shows available for free, so if you find yourself in the room for a while you can easily catch up on the news, weather or a tv show.

note: The tub is quite large for a bath so pick up some bath bubbles or bath salts if you remember and enjoy that sucker. The shower water pressure was quite good. Do know that there are wooden slat blinds that open up from the bathroom into the bed room area, so if you want to you can watch your friends bath or do other, uh, business. haha. there is glass behind the wooden slats so you will not steam up your main room area. I'm honestly not sure why the blinds are there. With the blinds closed you have privacy for sure. We did notice that leaving the blinds opened as we were doing our makeup gave us more light in the bathroom so that was good.

MY ONLY REAL COMPLAINT: the wifi connection is the PITS. Super sucky. The free wifi aspect was only for 24 continuous hours, which is fine (I was willing to pay for longer wifi connection) but the signal dropped constantly. It was fairly useless, so that was a big bummer. That is hands down my ONLY complaint.

Otherwise, super cute hotel and I WILL be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at Le St-Martin. The room was lovely, albeit somewhat small. I'd like to stay again in the winter to enjoy the in-room fireplace. There are many pluses to this hotel including the free wi-fi, complimentary snacks, (small) pool and deck, comfortable beds, a great restaurant and reasonable rates.

As others have noted, I wasn't impressed with the front desk staff. I did find them to be frosty and thus my rating of four stars instead of five. One actually argued with me when I asked if we could get a bath mat to lay on the floor outside of the shower. I told her that the woman who cleaned our room took ours and didn't replace it. The lady insisted that the hotel did not have bath mats. I asked what patrons used when leaving the shower so they don't slip and her reply was to lay towels on the floor.

The staff at the restaurant, valet and house cleaning staff were all pleasant. The front desk staff could use some lessons in customer service from the staff at Loew's Le Vogue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Le St-Martin Montreal and sgaring your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We are delighted to read that, overall, you greatly enjoyed your stay amongst us. From the quality of our rooms to our complimentary snacks its seems you indeed took full advantage of what Le St-Martin has to offer!

That being said, I am saddened that the service you received from our Front Desk staff was not up to par to the rest of the experiences. Being a small luxury hotel we typically pride ourselves on a high-end personalized service and, by your comments, it would appear we did not deliver this to you.
Rest assured we wil re-visit procedures and staff training to ensure these situation do not happen again.

Thanks again for choosing Le St-Martin, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best,
Ottawa, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This lovely boutique hotel was just perfect for our girls getaway. This small hotel is beautifully decorated and a great location in downtown Montreal. A 10 minute walk to the Bell Center and less than that to find some great shopping and delictable eats.
The rooms are normal in size, tastefully decorated, with a small mini bar with free coffee and bottled water. The beds were extremely comfortable and a good night's sleep was had by all.
Having someone deliver pop, water, fruit and snacks thru the day was appreciated. No need to go to the lobby for coffee or tea!
The Hotel staff were always very pleasant, informative and willing to help.
Valet parking is expensive, but worth well worth the headaches of trying to locate a parking garage close by and haul luggage back to the hotel.
We were will taken care of and would definately be back!
PS the concert was fantastic - would go to see Bruno anyday!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is very nice: the decor is nice location in the central part of Montreal.
However, The Front desk staff need to learn how to make their guests feel welcome.. they were not pleasant .I agree with the other guest who said- It simply felt like we were "read our rights" when it comes to "terms and conditions" of staying at their hotel. Also, whats with the Credit card $150 HOLD per day!!! I stayed in Montreal several times and I was never asked for this.
Also the elevators are slow and you have to use the room key to activate them! WTH! I wouldnt complain but the scanner is very picky .. you would have to scan multiple times before it works .. not just me this was happing to anyone was in the elevator.
also $29+tax per day to park? wow .. parking on the street was free 6pm to 9am.. but we choose to park indoors couple blocks (blue sign parking) $21(tax in) for 24h next day much better deal.
anyways I wouldnt stay at this hotel unless I have no other choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Le St-Martin Montreal and sharig your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

On behalf of everyone at our establishment, we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. We try to make every guest stay memorable and clearly we were not able to deliver this time around.

Regarding the pre-authorization (hold on your credit card) upon arrival at the hotel it truly is a regular industry standard from hotels to cover for any additional incidentals charges guests might have (mini-bar, restaurant, movies etc...), though during my career I've noticed most hotels do not show you the pre-authorization slip and we do. That might be why it surprised you so.

Pertaining to the elevator system, if I understand having to swipe the key to access your floor might prove a inconvenience for you please keep in mind we do this for the security of all our guests. More often than not we get rave reviews on the system by most of travelers that say it offers them a piece of mind knowing there floor is only accessible to those that have a room on it.

Thanks again for choosing Le St-Martin, and hopefuly we get the chance to host you again and change your perception of the experiences we offer.

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location with lovely updated rooms. Staff was helpful. Small rooftop pool area with waterfall. Turndown service with free snacks was a hit with the kids. Outdoor restaurant was perfect for people watching and a cocktail. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
Gloucester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel is elegant and classy without being stuffy. We stayed in the Grand Lux room, which had a large bathroom with an oversized soaking tub and glassed-in shower. The bed was comfortable and came with the usual assortment several extra-large pillows. Furnishings were modern but homey, and the room overall was sophisticated and welcoming.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathroom is separated from the sleeping area by sliding louvered doors. You can close the louvers so you can't see through them, but they are not exactly soundproof. It's a nice touch design-wise and we had no issue with it, but logistically it's probably not for everyone.

We used the pool several times and loved it. It's just big enough to swim in a was always warm. Not much of a view, but the deck has plenty of loungers, tables, plantings, and a waterfall. Again, a very elegant and sophisticated space, but not stuffy (or "too cool," for that matter).

Staff was helpful and appreciative of my limited, bumbling French. The valets in particular were very welcoming. There's free coffee (from a machine) in the lobby. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it looked trendy and was generally busy.

The location is good--we walked to the waterfront in about 20 minutes, and taxi rides to Vieux Montreal and the St. Denis area were each about $11. St. Catherine's is two blocks away.

Overall we would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Just from looking at the website, I'd say the Grand Lux room is a good value. The bathroom is ve...