“nice location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

You added Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal to your Saves list
Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   980 Boulevard de Maisonneuve, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1M5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Nice location, clean hotel. Very new and clean with crisp decor. Comfortable mattress. We chose this hotel because of proximity to St, James spa and Cafe Ferreira and Cinema on St. Catherine St. We basically wanted to park our car and walk everywhere for dinner, breakfast, etc, We were not disappointed. Breakfast/room service was pretty good.

Room Tip: Always ask to be away from elevators and ice machine. The rest depends on cleanliness and updates d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

hubby is a picky traveler and this hotel is amazing it is iin the middle of everything! great ambiance and location...service is great too!

We had so much fun roaming around since it is just a walking distance to eaton center, underground mall, mc gill university and soon...

I couldn't comment in their restaurant since we didn't eat there...food outside is cheap and great!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is very nice: the decor is excellent, its new and its in the central part of Montreal.

We purchased a promo package off the hotel's website where one night was 1/2 the price and we were given the room on the second floor. We didn't mind this very much as the hotel is surrounded by other, just as tall buildings, so we figured the view wouldn't be much different. However, we are under the impression we would have been given a room on the taller floor if we purchased the full price package.

Most of the staff is very attentive: valleys are awesome and restaurant is well worth visiting for both quality of meals and quality of service (actually restaurant staff were very, very good).

Front desk staff, however, could use a lesson or two in making their guests feel welcome. I'm not saying they were rude - far from it - but they we're not pleasant either. It simply felt like we were "read our rights" when it comes to "terms and conditions" of staying at their hotel.

So yeah - there definitely needs to be some improvement here.

Another strange thing about this hotel is that they pre-charge your credit card for $150 per each night of stay on top of your regular reservation cost. So for 3-day stay, you end up having your CC pre-charged for $532.52 + $450, which is pretty much double.

I see how this can be big issue for some people and frankly I don't understand the policy.

Overall, this is a good, comfortable hotel but my rating is definitely affected by these two issues, which is why I'm giving it only 3 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We decided to stay at the St Martin for a two night getaway after working hard for a month straight. We had researched online and called in advance and decided on booking the grand lux room through the sweet deals offer. The main selling point for us was the fact that the hotel had an outdoor heated pool that was open year round. I had inquired about this in advance and was advised that the heated pool was indeed open. Our hotel for two nights was supposed to come to app. $380 tax in.

During the check in time there was a major water main break nearby causing complete chaos and flooding on the streets making it difficult to even reach the hotel (obviously not the hotels fault, just an inconvenience) Upon check in we were advised that they would need to hold an extra $150/ per night on our credit card, therefore holding $670 for two nights. This is just absurd. I understand that this is the hotel policy, but this could have been indicated to us the two times we had contacted the hotel prior. Their response was rude and condescending, telling us that all hotels do this. We have stayed at many, many hotels and this is not the case, every hotel is different. We were able to have the amount lowered to $300 for the first night and would have to return to the front desk the next day and do the same process. The first lady that we dealt with was not very pleasant and seemed annoyed at the whole situation. She was in the process of leaving and couldn't be bothered finishing what she started and handed the task over to another woman. We felt uncomfortable and although these charges were hotel policy, I couldn't help but feel that we were being singled out because of the way we appear. My boyfriend was dressed in a Nike tracksuit with running shoes and perhaps we look like unsavory characters. At one point I felt like just leaving and finding a different hotel.

After finally receiving our room I inquired about the pool and was told that it was not open and that it was not currently heated, they would need to heat it in advance and that would take some time, but that it would be open later that evening from 9pm-11pm.

The room itself was very nice, the bed and pillows were comforable and the huge bathtub was wonderful. The television channels are somewhat limited, but I wasn't there to watch tv. A reminder that this is a no smoking hotel and there is a $500 charge if you do smoke. As well there is a $2000 charge if your bathtub water overflows onto the bathroom floor.

After leaving for the evening, we purposely returned to the hotel for 10 pm so we could take advantage of the pool. We were then advised by the reception that the pool was not open. ????!!! surprise.

After retiring to our room and sleeping in the next day, we decided to start packing and we didn't feel like staying anymore. We decided to check out at around 4pm and dealt with Amanda at the front desk. We voiced our concerns and she seemed sincerely apologetic. Since we checked out at 4:09, they charged us for the second evening, even though we hadn't even been at the hotel for 24 hours. At this point we just wanted to leave. Had we check out at 3:59, we would have been charged a late check out. So our total for one evening came to $431.06. I should have stayed at the St. James for that price. I didn't even argue about being charged the second evening, I understand that we did leave past 4pm, I just wanted to leave.

Pros: beautiful hotel, Amanda at front desk was very nice, the valet guy was very nice.

Cons: The overnight male working at the front desk, the first lady that we dealt with upon check in, the pool not available when we were told that it would be.

The service is the reason I'm giving this review such a low rating. I really wanted to enjoy this hotel but the overall atmosphere and vibe that I got was one that this hotel needs to improve on. We often like to have short getaways here in Montreal, but I won't be returning here. There are other hotels just as nice with much better service where you're not treated like a criminal. They treated us as though we were going to rob their hotel, and in the end it's us that got robbed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at Le St-Martin and sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone at Le St-Martin for the subpar service you received your stay.
We are usually proud of our personalized serve, but it is clear that we did not deliver during your stay.

I will certainly not try to give reasons and excuses.
We should not have charge you the second night, considering the unfortunate negative experience your encoutered.

I invite you to contact me directly, as I would like right our wrongs regarding you stay.

Best,

Frederic Aouad
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Le St. Martin is a beautiful hotel. My husband and I stayed here for two nights in the Grand Lux room, a spacious room with a fireplace and luxurious soaking tub. The king bed was very comfortable and the decor stylish.

The hotel itself is luxurious as well. A fireplace in the lobby is a nice touch and the restaurant and bar looked swanky though we did not eat there. There is also a heated outdoor pool on the second level - in January it was a bit too cold out to spend more than a few minutes but it was still quite an experience to swim outside with the winter weather around me.

The service was excellent. Just a bit above and beyond the standard but still understated.

Location-wise, it is near many shops and restaurants though I personally found Old Montreal to be a more quaint and charming neighborhood. However overall Le St Martin is pretty central and convenient.

Highly recommended! I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Montreal.

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here several times on business and i cant say enough about how nice the hotel and staff are. The rooms are very nice. Sometimes i get the fireplace room which is neat. They have a huge jetted tub in some rooms, which i don't care for but some might like. The rooms are neat, clean, and well kept - no indication of age or a worn feel which i like. They also have a breakfast included rate for the hotel resturant which includes a nice breakfast choice.

The location is very good for McGill and St Catherine, one block from each. It is also right near a movie theater and mall with a starbucks (important for me!).

Room Tip: if you can get one of the end corner suites they are very nice, but cost more!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent location for business.
Very nice and quite rooms.
staff really service oriented.
Free internet .
Restaurant offer choice and real quality .
Only pool is too little and outdoor is not the best choice in winter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal? Share your experiences!