“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

You added Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal to your Saves list
Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   980 Boulevard de Maisonneuve, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1M5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Boston, MA
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Le St-Martin for three nights while visiting Montreal for a music festival. The hotel was beautiful, the staff very warm and helpful. The hotel is located right in downtown, easy walking distance to many bars, restaurants, and shopping (Rue St. Catherine is one block down) The room was beautifully furnished and immaculately clean (and this is coming from a real germaphobe). The pool is as advertised, extremely small but really cute.

Just as a word to travelers with vouchers from other websites (Bloomspot, Groupon, etc.), they will ask for the printed voucher upon check-in, so have that ready. We unfortunately got held up at the front desk as we had to use the painfully slow business computer to pull up the voucher and print it to their desk to complete our check in (they wouldn't take the voucher number that we could present to them on our phone). If we had known that in advance that would have expedited our check in, but it wasn't a big deal to us at all. Overall, highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at the St-Martin for 5 nights. Their standard rooms had a beautiful decor, modern and neat. The service was amazing, I was always assisted for any needs required. The front desk staff was young and dynamic. The hotel's restaurant was one of the best i've ever been to, a great menu, and way more affordable than any hotel restaurant.

Overall a great hotel ran by great people.

I would recommend it any day!

Cheers

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I spent an amazing time at Saint Martin Hotel. All the services were great and the room really clean and modern. Room service was quick and the food was excellent. There was free internet and also non allergenic bed spreads and pillows, which is great for my allergies!
All in all I highly recommend this hotel and would ignore any bad review other people wrote.

Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I planned a vacation to Montreal for our wedding anniversary. We stayed at the hotel June 22nd through June 25th.

We have stayed in Montreal in several other hotels downtown over the years and we were looking for something upscale, centrally located with all the amenities.

We were greatly disappointed in both the service and the state of the facilities.

In retrospect, it was an omen when we checked into our hotel on the Friday that the room was not completely outfitted with towels and supplies.

We kept busy during the days touring and shopping in the city. When we return to our room to get ready for dinner, we expect to have fresh towels and a clean room. We came back on the Saturday afternoon to a room as we left it in the morning. Bed not made, same used towels, nothing touched. I called the front desk, the cleaning staff had all gone home. They didn't offer to come up and clean...so I asked if we could at least have someone provide clean towels...they said they would send up someone from maintenance. A maintenance staff came up about 45 minutes later with towels.

Management did not approach us to offer an apology, that night, the next day or before we checked out the following Monday.

And this is 4 star? People, read this! Don't waste your hard earned income on this trashy hotel. This was just one example.

Pool, a joke. You like spiders! You have them. They don't clean the pool area, it's gross, webs everywhere. On the chairs, on the wall, all around the pool...like the little crawly things in the water with you, no problem, there are lots.

I've stayed at plenty of lovely hotels in Montreal, this one was a waste of money. I will never stay there again, and I'll at least make people aware of the poor condition and service.

When I shared my comments with Hotel Management (by separate email), he indicated that we were offered a 'free breakfast' and discounted room rates. He said that they had not had any other complaints. I indicated we were not offered a 'free breakfast' or discounted room rates - so indeed there were other complaints and he had us mixed up with another guest who must have been offered the breakfast and rate break. (interesting reaction from the Manager). See other comments on this site too. Additionally, the Manager indicated that a Hotel staff Manager came up and cleaned our room since the cleaning staff did not. This did not occur in our room - he obviously had us mistaken for another guest room - other guests clearly had the same problem.

The Manager claims they clean the pool area two times daily, in his email to me. I beg to differ. If they clean, they sure don't do a good job. And Management doesn't supervise or do any quality assurance.

Love the city, not the hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I held off on writing this review for quite some time because I wanted to make sure my thinking was clear. I was not a huge fan of Montreal as a city, so I did not want that to cloud my ability to judge the hotel on its own merits and not be biased by my distaste for much (but not all) of the city.

First off, the positives: the room was stunning. I believe we had a Grand Lux room, and I found the design to be absolutely gorgeous. As some have mentioned, I would be uncomfortable staying here with a colleague or friend due to the open-concept bathroom, but for couples, it is absolutely fine. I really loved the decor in the room; I found the use of color and fabrics to be interesting, but suitably neutral so as to not overwhelm your senses. The bathroom design was fantastic, and the bathtub was heavenly, and built for two! We had absolutely no view from our room, but it did not bother us much. The room was quiet, and the bed was a dream. I also found the location to be ideal; very close to St. Catherine Street, as well as the metro. We walked to Vieux Montreal, and it only took 30 minutes or so. I would recommend walking, as you will always find something interesting on your way...save the metro trip for the end of the day after you've had your fill of seeing the sights. We were also very close to Crescent, which has a very lively nightlife. I highly recommend Wienstein & Gavino's for lunch or dinner. The service was exceedingly pleasant, and the food was phenomenal. If you are looking for a place for drinks and people-watching, without all the craziness that is otherwise found on Crescent Street, go to Ziggy's. I thought it was very chill, and the people who work there are pleasant, and the crowd seems pretty low-key.

Now the not-so-good: overall, service in Montreal is surly and sub-par, and this hotel's service was certainly in line with that observation. When we checked in, and when we checked out, it was if we were bothering them with our mere presence. I always pride myself on trying to be cheerful when interacting with people, but no amount of smiles or good-nature could turn these people around. I felt like they had almost a certain disdain for the guests, and I do not know if this is an anti-American or anti-English sentiment or just something more endemic to the culture. I suspect it is more of a cultural quirk because I see the responses of management from the various hotels in Montreal on here, and they tend to sound quite snarky and defensive. Regardless, at a hotel that purports to be 4+star, they need a serious attitude check. The doormen seemed a bit friendlier, but I thought the Hawaiian-style shirts were a bit tacky...is there a reason for them to have these outfits? As others have noted, the pool is quite small, so it is very uncomfortable to go out there when others are using it. I certainly did not choose the hotel based on the pool, but it just felt bad to not be able to enjoy it.

In sum, I think this hotel has strong foundations, especially since the rooms are so lovely, but it would be nice to maybe put a bit more effort into training your staff so that people who are used to real 4/5 star service are not so startled by the difference.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community!

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for making the effort to separate your appreciation of the hotel, and of the city. Reading your review and the number of reviews you've contributed to TripAdvisor, it is apparent you are a well seasoned traveler, and its always a blessing for us to get feedback from guests like you.

Furthermore, I am delighted to read you greatly enjoyed your Grand Luxe room and the overall location of Le St-Martin. We are indeed ideally situated for guests to explore the city by foot!

That being said, I was saddened to see we did not deliver on the service side of things. If we are still an rather new establishment, we try to make every guest feel special and clearly that did not happen in your case.
Please accept our apologies for this, but rest assured we are improving every day via sets of service culture trainings.

Looking forward to hosting you again!

PS : Montreal certainly has a different culture that most US cities, but rest assured their no negative feeling towards english speakers (most of us are!) or Americans in general!
Quite the contrary! :)
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Beautiful hotel room and surprisingly quiet since it is in the downtown area.
However purchased a coupon deal that was not really honoured by the hotel. I was charged unexplained "taxes" upon checkout and then 2 weeks later on my credit card. When I called the hotel, the explanation was nonsensical.
The coupon deal was supposed to include breakfast, parking and 3 - $50 coupons but the hotel claimed the coupons were in fact for the continental breakfast. There was no way that breakfast was worth $25 per person. Furthermore, the service by the wait staff in the restaurant was poor at best - all 3 days the wait staff delivered our food to the table and that was the last time we saw them. I do tip but only when I get service - we were never asked if we wanted more coffee etc.
Counter staff were friendly but the explanations were we given did not make sense and they seemed to be making it up as they went along. Valet parking guys were great and were tipped well!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment and for staying at Le St-Martin Montreal.
Overall, I am very happy you enjoyed your room at our hotel, along with our central location in the heart of the city.
Based on your review, I am guessing you purchased a Teambuy voucher (a flashsale site, in which we were featured in the past) which included room, tax & breakfast.

The point of sale (Teambuy website) does not collect taxes (3.5% occupancy, 5% federal & 9.5% provincial) and those are collected directly here at the hotel.

In all honesty we had this issue before with other guests, as it indeed confuses guest that did not read the whole fine print of the Teambuy voucher, therefore we decided not to repeat similar flash sales to avoid that very situation.

I am also sorry to hear our Front Desk staff was not able to communicate this to you efficently, and we will revisit procedures to ensure this changes moving forward.

Rest assured we only collected the regular taxes, and please accept our apologies if this little confusion tarnished what would have been a great stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you want to discuss this further,

Best,
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great weekend getaway: the moment we walked into the room we knew we would have an a great time. The location was a plus (right the heart of downtown Montreal). We will be coming back whenever we feel like getting pampered. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal? Share your experiences!