“Surprise, surprise, surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Toroli

Toroli
421 Marie-Anne Est, Montreal, Quebec H2J 1Z9, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)
514 289-9292
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Vancouver, Canada
“Surprise, surprise, surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Run! Don't walk to this gem. You won't believe it when you arrive. A small room with 18 guests maximum. A galley kitchen. The guests, the chef and the server all together. The chef is from Tokyo. He came to Montreal to live in a french culture and hone his skills. The lady serving (I'm not sure if she was his business partner, spouse or other) was absolutely delightful and multilingual.
The food was as much a surprise as everything else. It really only deserves superlatives. The Black cod or sablefish marinated in miso; simply one of the finest fish dishes I have ever had. The slow cooked lamb in an unctious tomato based sauce with herbs and spices. Black sesame ice cream for dessert. Now, I've had a lot of ice cream in my life, but this stood out again. Incredible!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Montreal, Canada
“Don't let the cow spots put you off!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This place is lovely. The outside is painted with cow spots which was a little strange. The inside is positively lovely. The menu is truly fusion. Start with a lovely warm sake from the incredible selection. The menu is vast. Everything we ordered was yummy. I have to say it is a little strange to be eating leg of lamb and risotto with chopsticks!! We loved our meal and shared many dishes to get the most from the menu.You really must reserve here as there are only 6 tables. The husband and wife team really make you feel like you are in the own kitchen.

Quebec, Canada
“Excellent discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Excellent food, real good quality, and full of new flavours I never tasted before. All four of us were very satisfied with the food, and the service was excellent. Way enough food in the plate. Expect about $75 per person including taxes, tips and a glass of wine or two. Small place, so make sure to make a reservation as I guess it fills up rather quickly on a busy evening (Sunday evening was very quite though ;)).

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Truly Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This Japanese fusion place is truly amazing. I went there with two of my friends and they really love it. I had a set menu and its soooo good!!. Its worth the money spent. Really high quality food. Would recommend to try it out. It might end up to be pretty pricey. Also the atmosphere was really good, its like a small house. Reservation is necessary because the place really small.

• Visited March 2012
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Its something else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

No doubt that I will remember this experience for the rest of my life. Although I came without a reservation and was turned down the first time then had to come back again with reservation, it was worth the efforts. I had Japanese cuisine in more than 10 countries but this was only Japanese from a 300,000 ft distance.
Taste-wise, every dish was an explosion of different tastes that takes you at least 5 bites to understand what you are eating but leaves you amazed of how good this fusion results were
They accommodated our preference in having no alcohol although they cock almost everything with it
I had my 8 months daughter with me and she was especially noisy and off-mode that day. Luckily (or by design), the place was empty. The waitress (only one in the place) was extremely nice and accommodating. She played with my daughter and tried to make our meal as nice as possible
The time between dishes is a little long (the meal took 75 minutes) which would have been nice if we didn’t have a screaming child
The only thing I regret was not tipping enough. Although I was very happy, I calculated wrong at the cash register and ended up tipping 6% only. They deserve more

• Visited August 2012