“Not fancy place, but the service was outstanding” 4 of 5 stars

Maison Brunet
1035 rue Saint-hubert, Montreal, Quebec h2l3y3, Canada   |
Ranked #56 of 147 Montreal B&B and Inns
toronto
“Not fancy place, but the service was outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We (husband & I) went to Montreal in Aug. 2009 (not 2010. The list wouldn't go that far back) for a one-night trip. We didn't have a place booked, so went looking for one when we found La Maison Brunet. It's a Victorian house built in the late 1800s and is quite charming (at least I think so). Like the title says, it isn't fancy but the service, truly was, outstanding. We reached there around 9:00/9:30 AM but no room was ready yet. We were informed that a gentleman has just checked out and that room will be ready in an hour or so. The lady was very friendly and seemed really sorry about the fact that she can't offer us a place on the spot (though she reserved it for us). She called another lady who is responsible for cleaning the rooms I suppose, and from what little French I understand, she explained to her that we came all the way from Toronto on an overnight trip, and are really tired. She asked her to quickly set up the room so we could get some rest and send her on her way. We chatted a bit, she gave us a brief rundown of the area and the surrounding places we could go check out. The location is superb. Only a short walk away from the Montreal Science Centre and the harbour. She gave us an idea about leaving our bags and going for a walk while the room is being set. She even gave us directions to find cafes if we wished to eat out (mind you, breakfast hour was over and we eat out anyways). We were also given easy directions to roads and stuff.

So we left our bag and went on our way and took our time exploring Old Montreal. I must say I fell in love! Montreal is a beautiful city. When we got back, she greeted us at the reception was very happy to inform that our room was ready. She also gave us some brochures and coupons for local attractions. The room was very clean, had a double bed with a futon, TV, lamps, a/c (it wasn't working, as we later found out around midnight. She apologized and gave us a fan which was fine with us. An a/c would've been awesome on the Aug. night though). It was a nice sized room. Bathroom had everything, including a hairdryer. There was a kitchenette with a mini freeze and microwave etc. The fridge came in handy for storing sandwiches and drinks we brought back. The shower had a good flow. Our 2nd floor window had the view of the quiet street La Maison Brunet is on and the Montreal Archives building. After napping a bit, we went out again and weren't back until midnight or so. There was no set time, we went in and out of the B&B as we pleased. It just seemed safe enough to walk around. Had a great time at Old Montreal/downtown area. They had the streets blocked off for pedestrians. Reminded me of Toronto's Kensington Market on the weekends

It's been 2 yrs and one of the things I most remember about Montreal is our stay at La Maison Brunet. It isn't a 3 or a 4 star hotel. It's a B&B, and a very affordable one at that. We paid less than $90 for our 1-night trip. To be honest, a part of me wants to stay at a fancier place on our next visit to Montreal but then again, I wouldn't mind if we decide to go for La Maison Brunet again. In fact, I landed on this page looking for an affordable hotel/B&B for our next month's trip to Montreal and thought I'd just give my honest review of the place.

Oh and I must add one more thing. Check out CAFE DA FINO'S. It's a shame this place is not listed in the Restaurants section of Montreal. It's on rue Ste-Catherine. Can't say enough about the food and service. What other place will make coffee (free) for you to take on the road back home?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for a 4 day stay in Montreal. We stayed in the "balcony" room for $75/night. Although the room was small and the bed frame had seen better days, for the price you really can't beat it. The balcony room had a private washroom; however it was located down the hall, although I believe all the other rooms have washrooms inside them.
The room was very clean, and the lady who runs the hotel was very helpful, letting me use her phone to call cabs to save on long distance, and helping us find free parking on the street. The location is also excellent as it is only a 5 minute walk to either the Champ De Mars or Berri-UQAM station. The WI-FI worked on the second floor and in the lobby but I don't belive it works on the third floor. Breakfast was good and free. The doors are quite heavy so there was periodic noise from other guests but nothing outrageous.
If you are looking for monogrammed robes and pillow mints this is likely not the place for you, but if you need somewhere clean, affordable and in a great location I would definitely recommend Maison Brunet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

The owners are Chiropractors or the Spanish Inquisition just opened a new branch in Montreal and is using " The Maison Brunet " to extract confessions from the poor souls who are forced to sleep on these horrible contraptions they call beds that they got for free on Craigslist or from Caligula's army surplus outlet . You will beg to be waterboarded after only a few minutes in those beds. You will scream in agony but no one will hear you because the beds, strangely enough have a life of their own and make so much noise that the slightest movement (if you are still alive at this point) will let you believe that the building has been hit by an asteroid and/or that the Chinese Army is marching on the roof.
Nice lamps though and very clean. Breakfast was excellent with waffles, croissants, fruits, cereal, muffins, juice and included in the ridiculously outrageous $100.00/night price I had to pay to be tortured. The young woman at the desk was very polite and courteous and I'm sure she will remember me for the rest of her life as I let her know I was not too pleased with the Auschwitz Inn. Other than that it was grand....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Maison Brunet? Share your experiences!