“Charming and a Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge Bonaparte

You added Auberge Bonaparte to your Saves list
Auberge Bonaparte
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   447 St.-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T1, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))   |
Ranked #3 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Arlington, Virginia
“Charming and a Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a lovely little hotel located around the corner from Notre Dame Cathedral in the heart of Old Montreal. Metro is only a few blocks away and there are lots of restaurants in the area. It's also a short walk to the Vieux Port area where there are often street performers and lots more dining options. Our room was on the 5th floor and had a garden view, which turned out to be perfect for viewing the fireworks on Canada Day. The bedroom and bathroom were both well sized with high ceilings and moldings, and quite comfortable. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. In fact my only complaint is that our room seemed to have a slightly musty when we first entered, but it went away after that.

A favorite place for a cup of coffee and a sandwich or pastry was Espace Cafe and Expresso Bar on Notre Dame West. Nothing fancy but good for an inexpensive lunch or coffee.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Downers Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We could not have loved our stay at Auberge Bonaparte more. We felt at home the minute we walked in the door when Sabrina greeted us with a welcoming smile. We loved every person we interacted with on the staff. Michael Banks is a delight and well connected within the Old Montreal community. We were given maps, excellent directions, assistance with perfect places to eat and reservations at restaurants. The perfect level of attentiveness. The included breakfast made mornings easy and it was delicious! We were at the hotel for several nights and we all slept beautifully every night. The room felt like home, no other way to describe it. Walking adventures in Old Montreal are at your doorstep. You are steps away from the Basilique Notre Dame and most rooms have a view. If we ever go back to Montreal (which I hope we do) this is where we will stay!

Room Tip: Our room was on the courtyard side with a view of trees and the top of the Basilique. This is one o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first visit to Quebec and we stayed here for three nights. The service was excellent and the interior was well-decorated. I loved the proximity to excellent restaurants and other great things to do. Our room was practically perfect, and we had a view of the cathedral.

If you are planning a stay in Montreal, look no farther than the Auberge Bonaparte.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a very pleasant little hotel in the heart of old Montreal and is convenient to everything in the old town. The rooms are large. The best part is the breakfast which is included in the room price and is served in a very elegant restaurant which is part of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I travel quite frequently to Montreal for business. I usually opt for larger hotels via my company but this time I was travelling leisurely and chose to stay at Auberge Bonaparte - and I'm certainly glad I did! Well appointed rooms, good size and clean. The service is of the upmost standards. Great location, right in the heart of Old Montreal. Nice to walk around and great restaurants. Next time I come to Montreal for business or pleasure, I will most definitely stay here!

• Stayed May 2013
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews here, as well as a glowing review in both Frommers and Fodors. I am glad that we did. I contacted them a little late (1 month before our trip) and initially they didnt have a room for the whole 4 nights of our stay. They offered two different rooms to patch it together. But a couple of days later they had a cancellation and she e-mailed us that one was open the whole time. We have a 3 month old, and they provided a crib (pack and play) for us at no charge. It was waiting in the room for us when we got there.

The room itself is not all that large, but it is well lit and comfortable. Very clean and nicely decorated. I don't expect a large room in a historic building in old Montreal. The location is amazing. Just around the corner from the Basilica, an easy walk from the river and from the Metro station. You are in the middle of it all there. The breakfast is included and very nice.

What really makes the difference is the staff. The front desk staff is absolutely amazing. They have great suggestions for where to go to eat, and then they will call ahead for you, so there is a table reserved when you get to the restaurant. They really went above and beyond for us. Like I said, we have a 3 month old. We brought her crib soother (box that makes lights and music and movement) because that is what seems to work to calm her down. However, we did not bring some back up batteries. They found 4 C batteries for us in the basement, and then there was an issue getting the battery compartment open (it required a phillips head screw driver). We were on our way out to get dinner, so they said leave it with us and we will fix it. When we got back, the soother was all re-batteried and in our room. The staff was so helpful and nice, they really put a good place over the top to great. If we are lucky enough to come back to Montreal, we will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ellicottville NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been staying here every Grand Prix weekend for the last 6 years and could not be happier with my choice. The room is always spotless and well-appointed, the staff are courteous, friendly and helpful; and, you get a lot of bang for your buck. There's wi-fi and the hotel has undergone a new bar renovation with a beautiful granite-topped bar with fine wood (mahogany?) below, over all, a very nice place to have a drink, relax and chat with fellow travelers. Parking is 100' away in a surface level lot at an additional charge. You don't need a vehicle in Montreal as the mass transit and taxi system are easy to navigate. Walking is easy in this city anyway. I took my wife for the first time to the hotel last weekend and while she is not easily pleased, she had nothing but nice things to say about "my little hotel." You can spend more (I have) and get less (I have) but I would give this place serious consideration if you intend on staying in a very quiet and nice hotel. Breakfast is included and is served in the pretty restaurant just beyond the bar area. I consider it a positive mark to have the same staff aboard year after year, the Auberge has done just that.

Room Tip: Room 308 overlooks St. Francois Xavier and if you like to hear the clip-clop of horses' hooves...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple