“Simply wonderful experience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge Bonaparte

Save Saved
You added Auberge Bonaparte to your Saves list
Auberge Bonaparte
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   447 St.-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #5 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Downers Grove
“Simply wonderful experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We could not have loved our stay at Auberge Bonaparte more. We felt at home the minute we walked in the door when Sabrina greeted us with a welcoming smile. We loved every person we interacted with on the staff. Michael Banks is a delight and well connected within the Old Montreal community. We were given maps, excellent directions, assistance with perfect places to eat and reservations at restaurants. The perfect level of attentiveness. The included breakfast made mornings easy and it was delicious! We were at the hotel for several nights and we all slept beautifully every night. The room felt like home, no other way to describe it. Walking adventures in Old Montreal are at your doorstep. You are steps away from the Basilique Notre Dame and most rooms have a view. If we ever go back to Montreal (which I hope we do) this is where we will stay!

Room Tip: Our room was on the courtyard side with a view of trees and the top of the Basilique. This is one o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first visit to Quebec and we stayed here for three nights. The service was excellent and the interior was well-decorated. I loved the proximity to excellent restaurants and other great things to do. Our room was practically perfect, and we had a view of the cathedral.

If you are planning a stay in Montreal, look no farther than the Auberge Bonaparte.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a very pleasant little hotel in the heart of old Montreal and is convenient to everything in the old town. The rooms are large. The best part is the breakfast which is included in the room price and is served in a very elegant restaurant which is part of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I travel quite frequently to Montreal for business. I usually opt for larger hotels via my company but this time I was travelling leisurely and chose to stay at Auberge Bonaparte - and I'm certainly glad I did! Well appointed rooms, good size and clean. The service is of the upmost standards. Great location, right in the heart of Old Montreal. Nice to walk around and great restaurants. Next time I come to Montreal for business or pleasure, I will most definitely stay here!

• Stayed May 2013
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews here, as well as a glowing review in both Frommers and Fodors. I am glad that we did. I contacted them a little late (1 month before our trip) and initially they didnt have a room for the whole 4 nights of our stay. They offered two different rooms to patch it together. But a couple of days later they had a cancellation and she e-mailed us that one was open the whole time. We have a 3 month old, and they provided a crib (pack and play) for us at no charge. It was waiting in the room for us when we got there.

The room itself is not all that large, but it is well lit and comfortable. Very clean and nicely decorated. I don't expect a large room in a historic building in old Montreal. The location is amazing. Just around the corner from the Basilica, an easy walk from the river and from the Metro station. You are in the middle of it all there. The breakfast is included and very nice.

What really makes the difference is the staff. The front desk staff is absolutely amazing. They have great suggestions for where to go to eat, and then they will call ahead for you, so there is a table reserved when you get to the restaurant. They really went above and beyond for us. Like I said, we have a 3 month old. We brought her crib soother (box that makes lights and music and movement) because that is what seems to work to calm her down. However, we did not bring some back up batteries. They found 4 C batteries for us in the basement, and then there was an issue getting the battery compartment open (it required a phillips head screw driver). We were on our way out to get dinner, so they said leave it with us and we will fix it. When we got back, the soother was all re-batteried and in our room. The staff was so helpful and nice, they really put a good place over the top to great. If we are lucky enough to come back to Montreal, we will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ellicottville NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been staying here every Grand Prix weekend for the last 6 years and could not be happier with my choice. The room is always spotless and well-appointed, the staff are courteous, friendly and helpful; and, you get a lot of bang for your buck. There's wi-fi and the hotel has undergone a new bar renovation with a beautiful granite-topped bar with fine wood (mahogany?) below, over all, a very nice place to have a drink, relax and chat with fellow travelers. Parking is 100' away in a surface level lot at an additional charge. You don't need a vehicle in Montreal as the mass transit and taxi system are easy to navigate. Walking is easy in this city anyway. I took my wife for the first time to the hotel last weekend and while she is not easily pleased, she had nothing but nice things to say about "my little hotel." You can spend more (I have) and get less (I have) but I would give this place serious consideration if you intend on staying in a very quiet and nice hotel. Breakfast is included and is served in the pretty restaurant just beyond the bar area. I consider it a positive mark to have the same staff aboard year after year, the Auberge has done just that.

Room Tip: Room 308 overlooks St. Francois Xavier and if you like to hear the clip-clop of horses' hooves...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We did a driving across Canada thing from Regina SK to Quebec City and this was one hotel recommended by Trip Advisor. Number four I believe. Out of the tops this one had room when we were passing through.

Having a navigation system in the truck helped. It's a bit awkward to find. We were driving an F350 Crew Cab so the old city can be a bit difficult to navigate tight corners. Can be done though. Patience is a plus whilst driving in Montreal and Quebec in general. Not what you're used to if you're from out west. Nobody is being rude with their driving. You just have to keep up to an all around different way. Quite liberating in some ways. Anyhow...

Got to the hotel on a tight street...Old Montreal. Small door that leads you into a small lobby. Friendly folks. Very French. Gives YOU a chance to try out yours. They smiled and worked with us. So kind.

Got keys to the lovely room. Overlooking the Basilica (not sure what the view is for other rooms, but it's impossible to have a bad room...only 43 this hotel...I recall) Lovely room. Nice big room. Tasteful. Older as you would expect. Sweetie loved the tub.

There is a killer restaurant downstairs that we didn't have time to check out, but THAT restaurant from what I read is supposed to be over the top food and drinks. It looked really ON when we were passing through. Wish we had more time for that . Geeze. Can't do it all....

Only thing...We left a sweater in the closet (never use closets unless you're staying long term. You are going to forget your stuff!!) and have requested twice to recover and send us back the sweater (promising full cost of doing so) to us. No reply at all. Our fault for forgetting, not Bonaparte's. But sure wish we could get that sweater back :( Our forgetfulness, not theirs, again)

Overall...Very nice. If you are Anglo Canadian....Revisit what you learned in high school French. Don't be shy. It comes back and it get's you further than practising your English. And I know the further you get into Quebec (eastern townships) the more you are appreciated for your efforts.

Hotel Bonaparte...Merci!

Room Tip: Practise your French. They are not being standoffish. It's very French. As things should be!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge Bonaparte? Share your experiences!