“I'm not sure what all the hype is about?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge Bonaparte

You added Auberge Bonaparte to your Saves list
Auberge Bonaparte
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   447 St.-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #5 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“I'm not sure what all the hype is about?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here bc the reviews were really good but I thought this hotel was 'average'. I travel a lot (10 mths a year) there's not much special here.. The location and ataff service was great, but the hotel very average. The room was a bed,desk and chair. The bathroom had zero counter space and scratchy towels. A hotel rated so high should have plush towels and at least a robe. The breakfast was a nice accommodation to the stay but was not 'over the top' in any fashion.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here this past weekend and found out about the hotel from Tripadvisor and decided to stay here after reading all the positive reviews. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and knew we had made the right choice. Michael Banks and Anne-Marie at reception were wonderful hosts and made us feel right at home when we walked through the door. Our room was facing the street and the view was incredible. The old city is simply amazing and the hotel is only a block north of the old city's main Street. The hotel is just a short walk to the subway (metro) and the main downtown shopping area is only a short subway ride away. The hotel can be a bit loud facing the street but only got really uncomfortably loud when snow ploughs were clearing the streets. If you want to ensure a quiet stay, the courtyard view is a good option - but, we really enjoyed the street view and would take our same room again!
The breakfast - which was included - was a full breakfast and was very good. We have stayed at other hotels with breakfast included but are usually buffet style. It was nice to be waited on and the service was just perfect.
Even the cleaning staff were good - polite and courteous and did a great job of cleaning our room.
Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ste-Marguerite-du-lac-Masson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Located in a beautiful historical sight, near many great Old Montreal attractions, the Auberge Bonaparte is great for a couples gettaway or if you are there on business as I was. My room was huge, with a King size bed, and had a huge bath (jacuzzi). Employees were very kind, coming from all around the world, and the breakfast (wich was included) was great, served in the hotel's lovely restaurant. Made me think of Paris. Parking was reasonnable (15$ a night). The only thing I would say is that it is a bit noisy because of the occupied streets of Montreal, and when I first got into the room, it was freezing. It took a while for the heat to reach the entire room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a fabulous experience at our first visit to this lovely hotel. I have to declare before I begin this review that I'm not a bed and breakfast, non-chain hotel type of traveler. I don't get caught up in the home-made muffin and charming scenery; just give me the benefit of the power of 'franchise' - loyalty points, consistent quality bedding, a blow drier and wireless internet access, and I am very happy indeed!

Now let me say that Auberge Bonaparte has successfully blended the quaint charm which well suits its central location in Old Montreal with the luxury and benefits of a 5 star chain hotel! I would doubt that we had an experience out of their ordinary; the staff seem so laid back about their ability to accommodate every traveler's need, that it seemed to me, the level of service offered by this establishment is standard to them, but outstanding to those who are fortunate enough to stay at Auberge Bonaparte.

We arrived to this hotel on the night of Montreal's record breaking snowfall. The roads were barely drivable and we were weary from our drive in from Toronto, which took well over 9 hours (usually a 5 hour drive) due to this unbelievably inclement weather system we traveled through. Old Montreal is not particularly easy to navigate at the best of times, and there is no GPS that will help you if the road that you are supposed to turn left on to get to the hotel is inaccessible due to snow, forcing our route into a puzzle maze of the old city's one way streets until we landed upon the right corner, quite by accident, but grateful nonetheless.

Snow had not been cleared as yet from much of the parking lot that hotel patrons can access (for an extra daily fee with in/out privileges added to your hotel dossier) just one short block north of the hotel, but our trusty snow tires assisted us to bring our car to a safe resting spot off the street for the night. The staff could not have been friendlier or more efficient in checking us in. The layout of our room (202) was perfect, with very modern updates to this old edifice. The ceilings were beautifully high, not cavernous, just airy and bright. Our two large windows opened to the charm and activity of the streets below, boxed in with the perfect depth to sit comfortably inside them for a perfect view! The room was clean, fully equipped with wifi internet access, and yes - a blow dryer too! The sounds of the famous Notre Dame cathedral chimed sweet music outside, but unless a window was open, once inside our suite, incredibly quiet. For us, it was a perfect landing to arrive to this hotel after an otherwise harrowing day of driving. Right. So, with all of the snow, and the late hour, where were we going to eat?

While fast food and other restaurants were within walking distance of the hotel, and I'm certain some crazy folks were even out delivering pizza, we just didn't want to 'endure' any more that day - we wanted to relax, have a glass of wine and enjoy a decent meal. Well, you can imagine our delight in the discovery of a magnificent restaurant - and I do mean magnificent - right downstairs, adjacent to the hotel lobby, bearing the same namesake, Bonaparte. We understand that normally, people travel from all parts to dine here and that a reservation is a good idea, however, we were fortunate that a table was available. I suppose some people had cancelled dinner plans due to the weather, but despite the weather, I can tell you that this restaurant was busy! There's a reason: it's fabulous!

Breakfast was included in the rate we paid for this hotel, and it is served with the same grace and style in this same restaurant where we enjoyed our dinner the night before. The simple, yet elegant offerings included fresh fruits, breads, eggs and pancakes and was a perfect start to each day we stayed. Coffee was superb and their brewed decaf option was equally wonderful. Tea is served in a proper china teapot, which always will increase my enjoyment at any restaurant!

The check-out system was as easy and as painless as check-in, with the same group of friendly
staff available to make sure it was seamless and without any aggravation passed along to the traveler. The staff conversed as easily in English as they comfortably do in French, and while we did our best to practise our country's second language, it was not necessary at all, anywhere in the hotel, and not with any of the hotel staff. The housekeeping staff were as efficient and as friendly as their colleagues at the front desk and restaurant.

Auberge Bonaparte and their adjacent restaurant are to be commended for such outstanding service and value to the tourist or visitor to Old Montreal and we look forward to staying there again during the sunny weather of summer!

Room Tip: The hotel is not large and each room may have a slightly different layout. Our room was large and pe...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Myself and a group of my friends booked the Bonaparte for New Year's eve, 2013, and could not be more pleased with our decision.

Booking - I phoned to book the room ahead of time from Ontario. The woman on the phone was extremely polite and helpful. She was aware of the location of nearby events and activities and even made me aware of a discount I was eligible for when booking my hotel. (CAA members get $10 off per night.) Booking was easy and convenient and I was promptly sent an email confirmation.

Check in - We arrived just before midnight due to a late drive from Ontario. Naturally we were in a mad, rushed panick when arriving (and slightly drunk too!) and the reception was very understanded, acted quickly to get our rooms set up and rushed through check-in so that our New Years was not ruined. It was very considerate and we weren't given any attitude whatsoever.

Rooms - We had a single King bed room and a double queen bed room. Both were absolutely gorgeous with 13 foot high ceilings, colonial pane glass windows, original gold plated door fittings... it was a truly historical feel all around. Also, the rooms were equiped with all the luxuries of today: flat screen TV, comfortable bed and double person jacuzzi tubs. I was in awe.

Service - Impecible. Somebody was always available at the front desk. They even went as far as to bring us cokes to our room when we were thirsty around 3am and didnt even charge it to our room! We loved the hotel so much, we stayed an extra day and got the rooms discounted at $50 per.

Perks - The hotel also hosts the Bonaparte restaurant which is among the top ten in all of Montreal. They offer a very generous complimentary breakfast every morning that is a la carte and allows you to choose a variety of delicious options from your traditional eggs/bacon/toast to omelletes made any way. This also includes yoghurt, fresh baked croissants, orange juice, ect.

Also, this hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Notre Dame Cathedral! A must see

Overall, I can not give this hotel anything less than a 5 star rating. The staff really made it worthwhile though. Multiple times I found myself engaged in conversations with the knowledgable staff about the history of old montreal, or the architecture of the buildings there. Everyone was professional and polite and willing to go the extra mile to make my stay enjoyable and for this reason I will certainly return to this hotel the next time I visit old Montreal!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 days at this lovely hotel 17 -21 December. We had the suite and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The bar And restaurant downstairs were an added bonus, being that we visited in the middle of winter and it was snowing quite often,, the welcoming warm restaurant was far too tempting for us! A great location for sightseeing just around the corner from Notre Dame Basilica which ran a laser light history's show in the evenings, and the Montreal Sympony performed there also during our stay. The staff very very helpful, the food excellent. We enjoyed wonderful breakfasts which are included in the room rate, and tried most of the extensive menu during our visit. A charming traditional venue in a beautiful romantic city.

Room Tip: We had the suite and it was great
Rhinebeck, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Booked it as a Christmas present, a few hours drive north. Stayed three days. The city is covered in snow; traffic is crawling and it is freezing (12F)--but still lovely. The Bonaparte location is superb: around the corner to Notre Dame Cathedral; a short walk down the hill to Rue St. Paul and which winds through all of the Old City landmarks and shops. Our room is small, as expected, but charming, with a comfortable shower/bath and one wall of exposed brick. The large windows provided a welcome flood of afternoon winter sun when we returned from a long walk in the bitter cold. As many have noted, the room price includes breakfast--which has been delicious. The hotel restaurant is well rated and cozy. The staff has been as helpful as any we have experienced. Every time we came back from a walk, my wife would say: “We’ve got to come back here in the spring.” It’s that good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge Bonaparte? Share your experiences!