“Don't Stay Here ...Terrible Customer Service and Bad Management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Montreal Center

You added Novotel Montreal Center to your Saves list
Novotel Montreal Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1180 Rue de la Montagne, Montreal, Quebec H3G1Z1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get our Winter offer!
Ranked #54 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“Don't Stay Here ...Terrible Customer Service and Bad Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel in mid-October of 2012 for two nights. We liked the hotel and for the price that we paid we did not expect any luxury and got a decent room and service. This all changed when I realized (after we checked out) that I had forgotten my suit hanging in the closet of the hotel room. So as soon as we remembered we called the front desk and explained the situation and they transferred us to the lost and found department. No one picked up at the lost and found department so we left a voice mail. We called again and again (over the next 24 hours) until someone picked up and simply told us that the suit is not there. I asked to speak to management to get a better understanding of the situation. This has been a nightmare ... Trying to get a hold of any management at this hotel is completely impossible. We called the corporate office for the Novotel in Toronto and it took them a week to get back to me and tell that they even were having a hard time getting a hold of the GM in Montreal Mr.Thomas Deegan. I called Mr. Deegan and left him a voice mail and still no reply. This is the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced and it is no longer about the suit, it is just common sense... if you are in the hospitality business you need to learn how to be hospitable. Do not stay at this hotel ... it is simple... They will not give you a good service when you need it most.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
xichveho, General Manager at Novotel Montreal Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience and for bringing out the points you would like us to work on to improve our customer service.
From my conversation with Miss Bertoli, our Front Office Manager, I believe you were able to speak to her the very next day after your departure. Unfortunately, she informed you that we couldn’t find your suit.
I also apologize for not being able to return your phone call earlier as I had to deal with health problems. I completely understand that losing a personal item can be frustrated. I hope that the lost and found department of the train station will give you positive news.
I hope that this incident will not prevent you from coming back to our property,
Kind regards
Thomas Deegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Quite good hotel, the only issue I had is that they was under the lobby rennovation, so the checking area and the looby was kindda messy. Room was great, nothing really to complain about it.

It`s very close to the subway station, which is under the Bell Centre.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
xichveho, Director of Sales at Novotel Montreal Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Novotel Montreal Centre.
When you stayed at our property last year, our lobby was indeed under renovation: it had become a necessity to renovate the entire space to meet our client expectations.
We apologize for the inconvenience , and hope that you will soon come back to see the great results, as the hotel is now free of renovations .
Kind regards

Xich-Vê
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We really liked this hotel. It was our first stay in a Novotel. The room was smaller than standard American hotels, but it was very comfortable, and the decor was very nice, and different than what we are used to. The staff were very nice and helpful. The location is great - only a block from Rue Crescent with lots of shopping and dining options.

Room Tip: We were on the street side, which was a little noisy; but we were high enough that it wasn't a p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

First off, I tend to be a bit fo a miser when giving out stars so don't let the 3 stars turn you off. This is a nice hotel, clean and with the basics. Nothing fancy here but the price is right and the location is excellent. There are several very good restaurants right on this street and you are only a 2-3 minute walk from excellent shopping on St. Catherines street. I didn't review the restaurants as they hav all been done to death. However, if you are looking for a good pub with very good food, you cannot go wrong with the "Olde Orchard" pub right across the street from the hotel. Cheap drinks, cheap food but mostly all their food is home made with no processed crap that you usually get in these pubs. And I actually ordered and received a home-made ground sirloin hamburger cooked as I want it!!! (Medium was my order and it was delic). Of course, with home fries on top. Hmmm....mmmm good. Back to the hotel. It is modern downstairs but the rooms are an odd misture of newer designs and furniture with old school TV, bath/shower and towels. They are definitely watching their budget as the towels and mattress are OK at best. But again, good value, great staff and overall, yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Neutral Bay, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We found the Novotel to be a very average hotel in Montreal the lobby and hallways suggested the hotel had a refurb however the rooms I don't think had been refurbed.
The wi-fi was at an additional cost which was disappointing, the cost for parking was reasonable.
One thing that I disliked was you couldn't use the fridge as it was set up with a mini-bar that had those darn buzzer things
I found the bathroom to feel quite dirty & the carpet a bit grimy.
The location was great, nice & close to St Catherine and there were plenty of places to eat there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Located in downtown Montreal, walking distance to Bell Centre, St-Catherine Street, shopping, and many good places to eat. I found their restaurant
a bit pricy and preferred to eat elsewhere. My only disappointment with this hotel is the $10.00 fee for wifi in the room.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Novotel Montreal Center? Share your experiences!