“No Better Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge du Vieux-Port

You added Auberge du Vieux-Port to your Saves list
Auberge du Vieux-Port
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Rue de la Commune East, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1J1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
Book Directly - 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Harvard, Illinois
“No Better Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I recently returned from my second stay at the Auberge du Vieux-Port an am happy to report it was just as good as the first time.

The staff is so willing to make your stay as pleasant as possible, and are always inquiring as to the quality of your stay. You are met with constant smiles and greetings. Last year there were 'the 3 Fred's' as I called the Bell Hops. This year, 2 remain and it was incredible that they remembered me and it was great fun to catch up with them. The same is true of Michael at the front desk who met me with a big hug and huge smile when he saw me. All 3 were so eager to make my stay as wonderful as possible. Being able to chat with them and share many laughs truly does make the experience that much better!

I should also mention that when I had originally booked my stay several months prior, I was not able to book a room for the nite that I arrived in Montreal as the on line reservation tool showed that there were no rooms available that nite (with a River View). I called the hotel about a month before my stay and lo and behold to my surprise & joy, I got Michael on the phone. He was able to indeed get me a River View room so that I would not have to stay at another hotel for one nite, and then move to the Auberge.

This year new/additional friends are Oliver and Veronique at the front desk.....again, what great people! The first 2 days I was there it was cold and raining and I spent quite a bit of time chatting AND laughing with the 2 of them when they had free time. I felt like we were old friends, it is people like Fred, Fred, Michael, Oliver and Veronique that add that additional magic to a hotel and play a huge factor in my choice on my next visit. All of them could not be more helpful, gracious and welcoming, and yes a LOT of fun!!!! Oliver and Veronique even helped me learn a few French phrases since I do not speak French.

My room was on the 2nd floor this year as opposed to the 5th floor that I had last year. It was the same location, and still had a view of the river, but because of trees, the view was not quite as good. However, this is not a complaint - just to point out that the 5th floor, and most likely the 4th, will give you a less obstructed view of the river and the Quays.

The rooms are magnificent. Old Montreal is just that, old! The building is early 19th century and maintains much of its original charm. You will not find windows like you do in modern buildings, and as such, you will get some outside noise. It was never too much, as a matter of fact, there is something very soothing about the clip clop of the horses as they pass by - (horse drawn carriages abound in the city). The floors are wood, the walls brick, my room this year had a very high ceiling and very large (tall) windows. Just beautiful.

The rooms are quite large, there is a small space in front of the window with a table and chairs to sit and watch all that goes on outside and just relax. There is a more than adequate space with a desk and chair if you must "work" or whatever. A very large closet, including a safe, ironing board and umbrella. The armoire holds a flat screen TV as well as a stocked refrigerator. Unlike so many hotels that provide a stocked mini bar, you CAN remove these items, and put your own in withOUT being charged for the items. Unless of course, you don't return them. Very nice touch.

The bathroom....ah.....the multijet shower is divine! The water pressure is fantastic, and the hot water comes on almost instantly. There is a small table to use as a vanity, I could see where more than 1 person may want more room - but it is more than adequate for one. However, there is also a fixture holding the towels and amenities, that you can use as well. (see picture). The bed is a bit on the soft side, but I found it very comfortable.

With the price of the room, breakfast is included each day in the onsite restaurant. You get your choice from the menu that includes eggs, crepes etc.. as well as juices, cereal and the usual assortment of offerings. More than enough to satisfy. I have only had dinner here twice, and had the Fish n Chips both times and it was fantastic. There is outside seating like so many places in Old Montreal to take advantage of on nice days. The rooftop lounge is very nice and offers an excellent view of the city.

I have read some complaints about the slow elevator. Yes, it is quite slow. You are on vacation... what's the hurry? You can always use the stairs! I also read complaints that there are steps into the hotel. Yes, that is true, however, every building in the Old Port has steps to get in. There is always a bellhop to help with luggage however. I have not seen any places that are wheelchair accessible, which would be my only complaint of the city. Again, it is OLD Montreal and everything about it is old. The streets and sidewalks are very old and cracking in various states of disrepair and some streets are cobblestone. As someone with a disability, I had a certain degree of difficulty, and I can see that it is perhaps not the most Physically Handicapped Friendly city. But this should not be something that is held against the hotel, as again, the entire city is like this. I am told many cities in Europe are the same.

The location is fantastic as it is the only hotel on the river. You are about 1/2 block from Place Jacques Cartier, the crossing to Quai Jacques Cartier, Quai King-Edward and Quai Alexandra and The Science Museum. I block up is Rue Saint Paul which is lined with restaurants and artists. Notre- Dame Basilica, Chomp de Mars, Notre-Dame-De-Bon Secours are all just a few blocks away. Pretty much everything is within very close proximity, as is a subway station.

Getting from the airport by taxi, costs $40.00 - which by the way, was the same last year. It is about a 20 minute drive. I believe by bus would be cheaper but not nearly as convenient.
As I said, I don't speak French, but this is not a problem as the entire city is bi-lingual. I will mention that it might be a good practice to inquire in restaurants if they take US currency before you dine. I found out the hard way last year that some do not. Thank goodness for a credit card. But if you like to pay with cash, and don't have Canadian currency on you, it is best to ask. 99% accept US, but there is that very small percentage that do not.. including the hotel itself.

All in all, the location, the property and the staff are all what make the Auberge du Vieux-Port my only choice for a visit to Montreal. I cannot say enough good things about it. I feel like a part of the family when I am there and as a solo traveler, this only adds to my experience. Kudos to you all and thank you again for a fantastic stay!!!!

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floor of the old section facing the river
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights at this hotel last weekend. I reviewed many hotel options on Trip Advisor and chose Auberge du Vieux-Port because I thought I would actually have a view of the river. I booked a luxe king river view room. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was on the river side of the hotel, but all that was visible was the street and some trees. The staff was excellent, the room was clean and breakfast was tasty, BUT I would not have spent so much knowing that there is not actually a river view. I must also point out that the "sitting area" in the room description turned out to be one large, but very uncomfortable chair. There was not a coffee maker in the room as describe although there was coffee always available in the lobby. The mattress was very soft and sagged in the middle. I did not sleep well at this hotel. Also be aware that the entrance to the hotel requires one to be able to climb several steep steps and the front door opens directly onto the steps. It was difficult to lift our bags up the steps and open the door while we were standing on the steps. Our room was at the end of a long hallway and there was sort of a half staircase in the hallway. We spent one more night in Vieux Montreal (on our way home) at another luxury hotel - Place d' Armes. No river view, but the rooms were much larger and the staff was just as good, the location was also excellent and the room was quite a bit less expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest
We thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay you had at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our services and would like to reassure you that coffee machines or any other requests that you required during your stay would've been our pleasure to accomplish, the front desk is available for you at all times for that.
You're room was on the second floor and facing the river side of the building. A higher floor would've given you a more opened view and that is something you could request and based on the availabilities it would be a pleasure for us to assign it to you.
The Place D'armes hotel is one of the four sister hotels in the old Montreal and it is also a great pleasure to hear that you had an excellent time with them.
We do hope that there will be a next time.
Please keep in mind that if there's anything you would like to have in your room or if there's any specific prefrences you have, do not hesitate to let us know prior to your arrival or even during your stay, we are all here for you.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We recently spent three days at this delightful little hotel on Commune Street, in Montreal's Vieux Port and found it just excellent!
From the moment we arrived, Frederic and Olivier made us feel very welcome, as if they had been waiting for us to arrive and gave us as much assistance as they could.
The trip up to our room was a bit of a journey, up and down stairs, around pillars and we were only on floor two - but when we reached our room, it could not have been better! By the way, the lift is one of the slowest we have ever come across - but that was our only complaint about the whole hotel!
When we got to our room, it was delightful Fresh and very clean, it overlooked Rue Saint Paul at the back of the hotel and although it was noisy in the early evening, it was deserted by late evening.
The room was a good size, the bed very comfortable with a pillow-type mattress and all the bed-linen was crisp, clean and fresh. Likewise in the bathroom, there were fresh towels every day and all the additions you would expect from a good hotel, as well as loads of hot water whenever you wanted it. Our room had an old brick wall as a feature (look out for the odd nails sticking out!) and had obviously been refurbished recently - the standard was absolutely first class! The bathroom had a large walk-in shower, with both an overhead rain shower and a handheld spray, both of which were great!
It is worth mentioning that the street cleaning service made a lot of noise in the early hours of the morning. Nothing to do with the hotel, but they did wake us up a couple of times! The room was pretty well soundproofed, but we do like some fresh air through the night, so we had the windows open a little way.
Breakfast was taken in the adjoining Taverne Gaspar, which had most things anyone would need. There were juices, tea and coffee, pain au chocolate, toast with different breads, bagels and so on. There were also breakfast cereals and the menu-choice of cooked food as well, that was brought piping hot, to your table.
Everything in the Taverne Gaspar could be charged to your room, drinks, additional meals and so on. Again the staff were very friendly and helpful and tried extremely hard to please everybody!
The hotel had a very nice lounge close by Reception, where you could sit and watch the world go by, through large open windows, that looked out onto the street and the promenade along the harbour.
There was also a very nice rooftop terrace and bar that was open in the evenings and was very busy and popular.
If you arrived by car, then the hotel provided valet parking and if you did not have a care, then taxis arrived within five minutes of being called.
But most of all, we were impressed by the absolute and unerring friendliness of the staff. They made our visit seem very special. Our thanks must go to Olivier, Michael, Frederic and all their colleagues who made us feel right at home!
We would have no hesitation in staying at Auberge again in the future and would thoroughly recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: From what we saw, walking by in the mornings while the maids were cleaning, most of the rooms looked...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

A charming hotel on the waterfront in Old Montreal. The staff was extremely helpful and genuinely friendly. The hotel, in an old warehouse, is an interesting blend of old and new. The rooms are small but perfectly appointed. The shower was a 10 out of 10! The public spaces in the hotel are lovely and comfortable. It is expensive but worth every penny!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was just as advertised - no surprises. I would call it shabby chic - not as slick as the Nelligan but then not as expensive either. The decor has been upgraded but the new has been merged with the old rather than a complete make-over. This is especially noticeable in the bathrooms. However, the rooms are clean, comfortable (beds are *very* comfortable), attractive and quiet. The staff is exceptionally and spontaneously friendly. The hotel often offers interesting packages. Ours included breakfast with a wide choice of items. The restaurant is also worth visiting in the evenings when things get quite lively. Food is good. Coffee and tea are available gratis throughout the day in the lobby. The morning papers are delivered to the room or can be read over breakfast. We thought the hotel was good value and would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I enjoyed a fabulous three day weekend in Montreal recently, made all the more special by our stay at Auberge du Vieux-Port. Everything at the hotel was perfect: beautiful room, comfortable bed, spotlessly clean, and great location.

The staff at this hotel --Olivier, Michael and everyone else--are wonderful as well.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
We pride ourselves in helping people have a memorable stay and are humbled and grateful for any such reviews that accentuate our services.

Hope to have you stay with us again.

Michael & Oliver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

What a delight this boutique hotel was in the heart of Old Montreal! The service was great. Everyone was really friendly. Breakfast was fantastic. We stayed in a river front room and it was lovely. It must have been quieter than staying in a room that faced rue St. Paul! The bed was incredibly comfortable and to wake up to the sounds of horse drawn carriages was charming.
I would definitely stay at Auberge during Vieux-Port again. Thanks to all the great staff. We had a great getaway!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge du Vieux-Port? Share your experiences!