“Great Stay in Montreal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge du Vieux-Port

Save Saved
You added Auberge du Vieux-Port to your Saves list
Auberge du Vieux-Port
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Rue de la Commune East, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1J1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
Book Directly - 10% OFF
Ranked #7 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
West Barnstable, Massachusetts
“Great Stay in Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I recently returned from a last minute trip to Montreal (11/19-21). Having never been there before I spent quite a bit of time with online research looking for the right hotel. I decided that the perfect location for me would be he Old Port (Vieux Port) of Montreal. Based on the reviews that I read through Trip Advisor "Auberge du Vieux Port" had some great reviews. The hotel pictures on-line looked very warm and quaint with it's exposed brick walls and ceiling beams. Exactly the charm that I was looking for. I booked my room online taking advantage of their special Autumn Sweet Deal Package which included breakfast and a 50% discount on your 2nd night stay (I was staying for 2nts) as well as other discounts to Montreal attractions and 4 metro tickets. I was not disappointed!!

Arriving after a 7 hour drive it was nice to be greeted warmly by Maria who quickly got us settled into our room (although we arrived before the normal 3pm check-in). The English and French language comes easily. The room was just as it was in the picture except better. We had 2 rooms (301 and 501) and both offered unobstructed Port Views. Bathrooms were nicely appointed with great a Shower. You had 3 options in the shower, the Overhead Rain Shower, Handheld Shower or Body Sprays. It certainly made it tough getting out shower after a day of sightseeing. The pillows on the bed and the down comforter were also fantastic.

Breakfast during our stay was fine with a nice selection of Continental Breakfast items set buffet style along with an a la Carte menu for entrees offering Omelets, Crepes and Traditional Eggs. It definitely met our needs. Unfortunately we did not get to experience their restaurant for any other meals during our stay.

The day we checked out we planned on leaving Montreal around 4pm. Although check-out was at noon they allowed us to leave our car with them an hour longer than the 3pm maximum without an additional charge. When we requested to store our luggage Michael at guest reception (another warm and friendly individual) told us no problem and to just leave our bags in our room when we checked out. He would take care of being sure that our bags would be in the car and ready for us when we returned. Now I have stayed in a number of hotels (as well as work for one myself) in my life and many times things are not always communicated. Well not at "Auberge du Vieux Port". We returned at 4:00pm and found our car already out front of the hotel with our luggage placed in the trunk! I was impressed! This certainly left an impression on me to come back and write this review.

If your looking for a great, charming, quaint hotel with character "Auberge du Vieux Port" is an obvious choice. With their guest service levels I will certainly be returning when back in Montreal!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Sliema, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel has great reviews for a reason. Central location, well appointed rooms and fantastic service at the front desk. Breakfast has a good selection of continental and hot dishes. loved the pancakes. Could not have asked for more (apart from a harder mattress),Thank you :)

Room Tip: River facing rooms are better as they have a view. They have both old style furnished rooms and mode...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Auberge du Vieux Port on Friday November 16th. We were immediately impressed with the decor. The decor is very warm and inviting.....it all just looked very comfortable. Check in and check out was just the way I like it, quick and efficient. Our room was also decorated tastefully, the bed was very comfortable and it showed that maintenance and housekeeping is a priority at the Auberge. The staff is very pleasant, always sporting a smile....and fluent in both French and English. I would certainly recommend the Auberge du Vieux Port to any traveler who wishes to visit Old Montreal.

Pietro Mercuri
November 16th 2012

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

What isn't there to like about Auberge du Vieux Port? I stayed four wonderful nights at this hotel and could not have chosen better. The helpful and witty Trifon at the front desk made my stay so easy - assisting with advice and information regarding all sorts of touristy things. My room 401 was exceptional - exactly as expected. It was a charming mix of old and new, with exposed brick and stonework, beautiful bathroom with fantastic shower and opening windows looking onto Commune St and the St Lawrence River in the Old Port area. The bed was so comfortable and free wi-fi worked well. The room was right next to the lift - some reviews had suggested staying away from this because of noise disruptions. However, though occasionally aware of it, it was of no concern. It didn't bother me at all. The inclusion of breakfast each morning was wonderful - much to choose from from both the continental and cooked selections. The on-site bar/restaurant, Gaspar, was convenient - reasonably priced and offering a good selection of delicious meals. Easily accessible to Old Montreal, I was steps away from the famous cobblestoned streets, restaurants, sights and historic areas of this beautiful city. Everything within reasonable distance was easily walkable from the hotel - Notre-Dame Basilica, the downtown area, Rue Sainte-Catherine, tourist information centre, museums and galleries. The hotel was a home-away-from-home for me - I loved my time in Montreal and my stay at Auberge du Vieux Port was absolutely magic. Thank you for a memorable time and I look forward to my return and staying with you again soon.

Room Tip: Everything was truly wonderful in this hotel. However, two small things - there were not a lot of sp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

A very warm welcome upon check-in. Beautiful old-world charm. Lovely room, quiet & clean with exposed stone, brick and beams. Delicious breakfast with good choices; some items with $2 or $3 supplement. Excellent location - can walk to everything in the Old Quartier. Outstanding service and excellent value.

Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a place to stay in Old Montreal. This hotel is right on the waterfront, and within easy walking distance to many of the attractions in the district. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful during check-in and check-out, and the restaurant/bar servers were efficient and polite.
The decor of the hotel and the rooms is really in-step with the area. The lobby has wood floors and accents, and several comfortable seating areas. The room had wood floors as well, with a lovely exposed stone wall.
I was there for a conference, and the meeting space in the basement was large and very well-lit. The meals included by the hotel were very good. A great experience overall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in a queen room for two nights, the check in was polite and speedy, though no sign of the welcome glass of wine they advertise! breakfast was included in the price and was only OK as we wanted pancakes, but we're advised that they were "off" that day, when I enquired whether they would have pancakes the following day, she said"of course" as if I was quite mad. We settled for eggs the first day, mine were I edible and stone cold! I filled up on toast. the next morning we had pancakes which were passable but also cold! as the room was quite hilly as well, I was not overly happy.
However the staff on reception were great and booked a restaurant for us and even sent up sample menus!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room so that you can see over the trees to the old port.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to start by reassuring you that what you detailed about the restaurant service will be passed on to the Manager. He will make sure for this not to happen again.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your stay and do thank you for taking the time to rate the Auberge du Vieux Port.

Hoping to have you stay with us very soon.

Sincerely
Michael C.
Guest Relation Manager

Been to Auberge du Vieux-Port? Share your experiences!