“A Delight” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barroco

Barroco
312 ST-PAUL O., Montreal, Quebec H2Y2A3, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))
(514) 544-5800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Toronto, Canada
“A Delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ate here over the Easter weekend with my two teenage boys. We made reservations in advance which is a must considering the small dining room. The service and meal were wonderful. All four of us had the steak, (boring) but it was amazing and very large. We started with New Brunswick oysters which I love, I only wish they were served with a spicy garnish.

Our server was knowledgeable and friendly and while we arrived early the place filled up in minutes. We enjoyed a bottle of Cotes du Rhone and our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine's characteristics without being pretentious.

While it was recommended we arrive early because there was another seating at 9:30 we never felt rushed. In fact the meal was very leisurely which ended with a lovely cheese board.

I can't wait to return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I loved the ambiance...no doubt. The food was good, but not for the price. Maybe we went on an off night, it happens, so i' m thinking about giving this place another chance...maybe if we reserved the entire restaurant. That would be cool!

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Very romantic and great wine list. Food was amazing as well. The dishes was very small, more like tapas. So you need to order more dishes which can add up.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Don't Pass This Up!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Barroco is tucked away in Vieux Port on Rue St. Paul, and could easily be overlooked for its sister restaurant/wine bar right next to it. This funky little cave of a restaurant is resplendent with a mishmash of decor, combined with a foodie menu and selective wine list. Make a reservation- this petite boîte fills up fast!

Visited January 2013
New England
“Best Restaurant in Old Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've eaten at Barroco in Old Montreal many times. With the closing of DNA in the summer of 2012 this establishment quickly became my first choice for fine dining. It is unquestionably the best fine dining restaurant in Old Montreal. The food is exquisite and consistently so. The wines offerings are suitable and the mixed drinks most appealing. The service is very attentive and the waiters even remembered me from a previous visit three months earlier. Is it because I tip well when I receive excellent service or because the waitstaff always goes the extra distance to provide impeccable service? One can never be sure but I know others who have eaten here and share my sentiments. Even waiters not assigned to my table stop by to offer a friendly "bonjour/hello." On every trip to Montreal this is a must-stop place to eat on my itinerary. By the way, the duck is outstanding!

Visited November 2012