“Gorgeous Hotel - But You Won't Sleep on Weekends” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Petit Hotel

You added Le Petit Hotel to your Saves list
Le Petit Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168 rue St-Paul Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z7, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
3rd night at 50%
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa
“Gorgeous Hotel - But You Won't Sleep on Weekends”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I booked Le Petit Hotel after reading all the wonderful reviews online and checking out their gorgeous website.
I informed them in advance (when booking) that we'd be celebrating our honeymoon and once I'd booked, I emailed them looking for a restaurant recommendation but never heard back - fair enough. I saw how busy the front desk staff is!
When we arrived, there was a gentleman in the lobby complaining that his room had not been cleaned despite the fact he'd been gone all day. It was after 5pm, and the cleaning staff appeared to have gone home for the day. These things happen, I guess.
The room was as beautiful as shown on their website. Beautiful stone wall, fantastic shower, comfy bed, great aveda products. Bliss.
However, all those comforts don't mean anything when you can't sleep a wink. Between 11pm and 3am, the noise was loud, but a pillow over our heads meant we could survive it (how romantic on your honeymoon!) By 3am, however, as people spilled out of the bars, the noise was absolutely unbearable. People were shrieking at the top of their lungs. Groups of drunken men were singing as loud as they could. And it lasted until well after 4am. By the time we finally got to sleep, we were awoken by the street sweeper (!) going by just after 7am (on a Sunday!) We learned, however that the street sweeper seems to go by at that same time every day. Or at least it went by on Monday morning at pretty much the exact same time. And Sunday night was also a party night, if a little quieter than the previous night.
So all in all, it was a gorgeous looking hotel. The staff tried hard to make our stay enjoyable, but couldn't quite pull it all together (they were rather harried most of the time). Nor did they ever even acknowledge the honeymooner status. A simple "congratulations" would have sufficed considering I saw the email exchange I'd had with the hotel printed out with our reservation. The breakfast croissants were delicious. But nothing can make up for not sleeping. It basically meant we holed up in our room to try to catch up sleep during the day, but as another person mentioned, the lack of soundproofing meant that not only did we hear the unbearable noise outside at night but we also heard the people upstairs moving about, the cleaning staff, people going in and out of their rooms and the maintenance staff (?) making repairs or some terrible scraping noises. And honestly, I am not a princess, I've lived in downtown Montreal before and would expect sirens and some celebratory noises, but this was unbearable.
If you can sleep through anything, I would recommend it. Otherwise, bring earplugs.
And expect good, but not great service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Our room was on the 4th floor and the noise from the air handling equipment made such a racket we could not sleep. I complained and the lady showed me another room at 11 PM. Even in this room a floor down one could easily hear and feel the air handling equipment noise and vibrations. We accepted another room on the third floor and noise wise this move turned out to be a real bad move starting at 1 AM to 4 AM. Think of a bar scene in full swing and you get the picture. This appears to be a recently renovated building but they forgot to incorporate sound proofing. More injury came in the morning when they charged us $ 207.95 for one night of hell.
For this reason I recommend find another hotel. We will not be back.

Waterloo, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

My company had booked me into the Hotel St Paul a couple of blocks away. My room there was facing a major road with a lot of truck traffic noise that bothered me, so I decided to cut short my stay and switch to Le Petit Hotel, which was on a smaller and I had hoped quieter side street. Unfortunately, I jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Just down the street from Le Petit Hotel is a bar called Santos that seems to be a bit too much of a hip happening place. There is loud base music from the bar itself and also noise from all of the people who hang out in the street to smoke (maybe banning smoking in bars wasn't such a good idea after all). And because Montreal bars close at 3 AM, this noise goes on past that. It is 3:20 AM as I write this and I am still hearing noise from the street. In addition, these people seem to feel the need to play loud music from their cars, honk their horns, and accidentally set off their car alarms after the bar has closed. Why don't they just go home?

The hotel decor is nice, the croissants at breakfast are to die for, and the staff tries really hard, but the #1 job of a hotel is to provide a place to sleep in relative peace. While these activities are not their fault, they need to take legal action along with all the people who live in this area to get this bar shut down. If they don't, their business will suffer.

After reading all the rave reviews (#2 hotel in Montreal), I was looking forward to staying here. Now, after this experience, I will never come back again. Unless you are one of the Santos partiers who wants to party until 3 AM and then come crash in this hotel, I cannot recommend it. Very sad to see such a nice little hotel with such great potential ruined by this.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife and I spent a weekend at this hotel to celibrate our second anniversary. All our expectations were exceeded. The staff here are incredible, nothing is too much trouble to make your stay perfect, from taking our luggage from the taxi to making reservations at a beautiful resturant and every little detail in between. Breakfast was great, the room (Med) was fantastic. The location is perfect for Old Montreal. A special thanks to Joëlle and the staff for making our anniversary a memorable one.

Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Clean, comfortable, efficient, modern, luxurious and friendly. Great location. Thank you, and we will be back.

Gabriola Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

We were very pleased when we arrived at the hotel. It was right in the heart of "old Montreal". The staff was very accommodating and helpful, both English and French were spoken well. The rooms and lobby have a funky look, everything is brand new. Great continental breakfast with fresh fruit. We would go back to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

March 15-18.
From the moment we arrived at Le Petit Hotel the staff made our stay seamless. This is hands down one of the best hotels I have stayed at anywhere in the world. They immediately offered to take our car for valet parking. It was $25 a night but well worth not having to worry. Our room was small but super cozy and clean. The bed was so comfortable, I never wanted to get out of it. We got a sheet of restaurant recommendations from the front desk and went down the street to have Indian at Ghandi, where had one of the best meals of our lives. We asked for extra towels and they were immediately provided. The complementary breakfast downstairs in the hotels "cafe" were the best I have had anywhere. The croissants and muffins were just over the top and they actually will bring you a freshly made espresso, hot chocolate or a whole pot of tea. They serve free coffees and teas to hotel guests anytime and will even bring them up to your room. On the second night we slept poorly due to some amorous relations going on in one of the rooms adjacent to ours and also the room above had someone come in late and walk back and forth on the uncarpeted floor for what seems like hours. When we mentioned it to the desk the next morning and inquired as to whether they might have a similar room on the top floor they immediately were able to give us another room upstairs that was much bigger and with a king size bed (!) and at no charge. We slept wonderfully in this quiet, spacious room. (406) I can't say how the staff just was so friendly, caring and helpful. Every single person we encountered that worked there was exceptional.
The two things I would point our were that the phone in our room didn't work, and it didn't get fixed during the first two days of our stay. We moved rooms the final night.
I would also recommend that housekeeping not blare the volume of radios when they are cleaning rooms and let doors slam each time they go back and forth into a room while they are cleaning it. We were heading out of the hotel and noticed this each day. It could disturb those who were trying to get extra rest.
Also, I would like to recommend to try a more environmentally friendly cleaner for use in cleaning. They use a kind of cleaner that was very strong smelling and not in a good way. This smell would be in the hallways or your room after cleaning.
Unpleasant and didn't seem to match the spirit of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Petit Hotel? Share your experiences!