“Not all its cracked up to be!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of XO Le Restaurant

XO Le Restaurant
355, Rue St. Jacques Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1N9, Canada (Quartier International)
(514) 841-5000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
XO Le Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 4,419 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Quartier International
Cross street: rue St-Pierre
Transit: Square Victoria Station or Place D'Armes Station
Montreal, Canada
“Not all its cracked up to be!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

If service is part and parcel of your food and restaurant experience, suggest you look elsewhere than this place. Heard of this venue as being the hotel of the stars - U2 and Madonna have stayed here prior to their respective concerts - and once inside it is to see why this place is chosen. Sumptuous in appearance, it is an example of what all boutique hotels should look like. When we heard they had a Sunday brunch, we felt why not come to this hotel without having a room reservation, and planned it as being part of our itinerary for our upcoming vacation.
Their web page states: ...you will receive gracious hospitality from the moment you place your reservation through the completion of your dining experience". Everything leading to the sit down was polite, elegant, reserved. And that's where it ended.
With some family members from out of town joining us, and possibly four other tables with people sitting there, there was hardly anyone in this place. Yet you would think the wait staff were overwhelmed - the service was ultra slow, from taking down our order to the removal of our last dish. Ordered their soup and while everyone is eating I'm still waiting for my spoon. Ordered a side order of potatoes, and while I nibbled slowly on my fritatta, they never came. Pointed this out to the waiter and told him not to bother getting it as it was too late. When they removed everyone's dishes, they promptly forgot mine; waiter then asked if anyone wanted desert and looking at where I was seated, I had to point out my dish was still there. And I reiterate, in-between each activity, everything was slow to happen.
I would have appreciated some kind of recompense for at least not having received my side order - something in the order of our (or just my) mimosa paid for - but nothing. Is the food good? It wasn't bad but it is overpriced for what we received and would have been much better had the overall service experience been at par with the decor and the ambience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Food excellent - service so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I feel bad.... The food and drink are worth the price but the one female server makes it not worth it. The two guys TRY their best to compensate for her lack of service but they can only do so much. When we leave out tip I want to specify who should get it for the female waitress makes us not want to come back for really exceptional food. Make sure you do not get her and if you do get up and LEAVE!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“So close to being excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed next door to XO so it was a breeze getting there.
We started with a Cocktail at the bar, the bartender was very pleasant but very slow too. Once we were seated the same familiar pace of service seemed to greet us for our dinner too, it is only off putting because we brought our daughter with us so we have a limited window in which to enjoy our meal.
Now on to the meal, the food itself was excellent, it was very well presented, the combinations were refreshing a new, some of the pairings sounded odd but tasted amazing. People that have read my reviews before will know I'm a huge foodie so when I really enjoy a meal I'm not afraid to tell you about it. I started with the Foie gras which was done in a fruit preserve mould and for a main I had the Bison which was cooked perfectly. The wine list was very impressive and we instantly found pairings for all the meals we had. I would go back to XO in a heartbeat.

Visited July 2013
Windsor, Canada
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nice ambience. Service was very good as was the food. A bit of a language barrier with some staff not understanding English very well, but we made do.

Visited November 2012
Vermont
“Fussy French at $100pp made for a great birthday treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This unusual restaurant in theHotel St James offers a running but silent Three Stooges movie in an elaborate and somewhat over done setting. The PEI oysters were quite good and very fresh but the waiter couldn't offer prior description except to say they tasted like the sea.

The food was very high quality, well-prepared, but perhaps a little fussy for my taste. By this I mean many ingredients and flourishes. This aspect paid off primarily in the desserts we enjoyed--a rich white chocolate mousse with a hard sugar top (as in a crime brûlée, and a Mano sorbet with tiny squares (just enough) of tres leches cake.

Wines by the glass were limited and bottles overpriced. Cocktails at the bar were so-so but atmosphere compensated.

• Visited June 2013