“Great for a place to crash” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Stay Mont Royal

You added Hotel Stay Mont Royal to your Saves list
Hotel Stay Mont Royal
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   438 avenue du Mont Royal Est, Montreal, Quebec H2J 1W1, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)   |
Ranked #109 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
Bangor, Maine
“Great for a place to crash”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Came up for an extended weekend back in March 2012, and found this hotel for a fairly good price. Located right next to the Mont-Royal metro stop, its really convenient to Downtown. Hotel is actually converted brownstone, managed by a Peruvian husband and wife. I am trilingual (Eng/Fr/Spa), so I never had an issue with front desk (both are proficient in all 3). You have to be buzzed up to the second floor, as the reception is on the second floor. Room was clean, simple (although the seat for the computer desk was broken on arrival, quickly recplaced) and had a great view of Mont-Royal Ave. Hotel offers small buffet-style breakfast, but if it doesn't suit your fancy, you have a coffee shop on first floor (Cafe Noir as of my last visit), as well as a plethora of eating options within a 3 block radius of the hotel (Crepes, poutine, maple syrup stand at Metro station).

Suggestion to you: Stay here if you plan on spending most of your time out and about Montreal, or if you are a college student looking for a cheap place to stay (like me). Staff is nice, room is bare-bones but adequate. Luxury-seekers: its not for you. I would stay again.

Room Tip: I had room 4. Was a tad small. Pay the 10 extra bucks for a much larger room (and larger bed)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Parksville, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We had a very late check in and the staff were very accommodating. They also added a cot for our son. Affordable and an excellent location by the metro station in a fun area of Montreal. The room was quaint and I liked having AC and a small fridge to keep water cool. Those looking for a high class experience would be disappointed but for a budget hotel I thought it fit the bill.

• Stayed August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked this hotel for cheap price deal a day earlier. I was visiting Montreal. I went to hotel used bathroom while they were looking for reservation. Hotel was dirty. they found out I made mistake and booked hotel for Sept instead of July (default month was sept while I was trying to book the hotel). I went out and tried to get it fixed through booking.com. owner didn't want to change it for the nite since it was nonrefundable. I told them I was gonna pay extra to fix it for the night. owner replied that I could book another room for the night but he was not going to change the reservation or give any credit. I went to hotel to explain what happened they didn't open door for me to get in. Please do not stay in this hotel get better hotel for few extra dollar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel was very nice, but what really made the trip were the staff! The concierge staff and bellhop staff were second to none! So friendly and they went out of their way to help us. It was centrally located and within 2 blocks of the subway station for easy access to most anything. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Room smelt like mildew. No bath tub or pool. Too many stairs not a good place if your pregnant. Walls to thin you can hear all the disturbing noises of the rooms next to you. Nasty stains everywhere. Service, location and food are good.

• Stayed February 2012
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I'm not very experienced in reviewing B&B because I've only stayed in a few in my life and I choose them because of the price. We booked the hotel via Priceline.

Room:
Our room (no. 2) was simple and cozy and had everything we needed to stay for one night: a bed. We actually had a nice view of the street as well. I personally enjoyed how they turned an old building into a hotel; high ceilings, tall windows and oddly shaped rooms make the hotel very unique. Of course the room had a fridge, a sink, a desk and a small tv. The hotel had shared toilets and showers (which I never had a chance to check out).

Service:
I've read reviews on here that said the staff cannot speak English. That was not the case for us. They could speak English, but sometimes the reception is very slow. I think it's 1 person working and they are under staffed. Checking in and out was a bit odd as well. People needed to check out by 11:30pm, but they do not do check in until 4pm. In regards to check out, you just leave your keys on the desk. There are no formalities to fill out.

Location:
We drove to Montreal, and with the help of a GPS, the hotel was very easy to find. It's located in a busy area so parking is difficult to find. Another plus, is that the hotel is conveniently located next to a Metro station: MontRoyal. Local buses can be found near by as well. However, you might have done some research via Priceline or expedia, which indicates that there is free parking. IT IS NOT FREE PARKING! The hotel's suggested parking is 2 blocks down and costs $8 CAD a night. The parking attendant is not there between 9pm and 9am, so you could possibly get away with not paying.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was simple. Between 8:30 to 10:30, breakfast items were put out in the lounge/dinning area near the reception and it was basically help yourself. Items like: croissants (from costco), muffins, fruits, yoghurt, and coffee were available.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I knew this was a budget hotel, and knew it was going to be a shared bathroom. Nothing prepared us though for what was to happen. The room was booked with Expedia a few months before the holiday. Upon arrival it all went a bit wrong. There was a bit of a language barrier. I speak English and a little French, I have no idea what they were speaking, but it was neither. I tried to book in, and they had no record of my name, and no spare rooms! It turned out to be the most stressful hour of our holiday (after 17 hours of travelling), several calls forwards and back to Expedia resolved the issue (this cost me a lot of roaming money!) it turned out to be a spelling mistake, probably due to the language difficulties. Once it was resolved we got our room. (If the same happens to you, persist, and ensure you insist you are accomodated). During the whole process the hotel staff did their best to be sympathetic.
The room was of good size, and was clean, the bathroom was also of good quality, the shower was superb. The biggest suprise was the breakfast, there was no included breakfast, however they do a DIY buffet breakfast.
The area is great fun, lots of bars and restaurants, with easy access to the metro.
If you want a cheap night, and your expectations as realistic then go for this hotel. If you want luxury go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Stay Mont Royal? Share your experiences!