“Best kept secret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bistrot la Fabrique

Bistrot la Fabrique
3609 St-Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2X 3L6, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)
514 544-5038
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot la Fabrique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #356 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Cherrier
“Best kept secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Dinner at La Fabrique, will bring you to your knees...
The kitchen, in the middle of the restaurant, is part of the show.Like a Maestro, Jean-Baptiste, the chef conduct his orchestra like a pro. The food is exquisite, well balanced. You can feel the french roots, and the influence of all the great places he worked at, from Ducasse to Le Sketch. But it's his personal touch, and the freedom from french cuisine, he takes, that makes La Fabrique unique,inventiveand sometimes very audacious.
Service is very simple, friendly but attentive and efficent. Small wine list, but great selection. Lots of private imports.
You'll wish you'd live in Montréal.

• Visited May 2012

Saugatuck, Michigan
“Delta SkyMiles magazine steered me right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

On our Delta flight to YUL, it turned out they were featuring their "1 City 5 Ways" on Montreal. They recommended Bistro la Fabrique so we dined there on a Friday night. The ambience was fabulous. Although we enjoy major, internationally known restaurants like Restaurant Toque! in Montreal, Alinea in Chicago, French Laundry in California, etc., it's also a favorite of ours to dine in more local / neighborhood restaurants. Fabrique did not disappoint. Food was very good and inventive and service was attentive.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I've eaten food from La Fabrique last summer at a catered VIP terrasse of the Just for Laughs festival and absolutely loved it. As such, I couldn't wait when I learned that we were going there for my friend's birthday.

It unfortunately didn't meet our expectations.
Food was so so and service was terrible.

Although I appreciate their effort to be creative and play with a classic, the salmon tartare is just too creative, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The maquerel was overcooked, the other plates were perfect.

Our waiter was unfortunately of the "I'm more superior than my clients" type.
We've developed friendships with the staff from many good Montreal restaurants; Pied de Cochon, Le Filet and Grumman 78 to name a few but this guy was sooooo overimportant, He was haughty, he did not establish contact with his customers, neither with us nor with customers from other tables, rather than giving genuine advice and propose pertinent wine-food pairing, we felt he was more pushing the products "he had to sell" ...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Not your ordinary Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Dinner at La Fabrique is great, Sunday brunch is fabulous! If your idea of brunch is a heaping big plate of everything from the buffet, washed down with gallons of coffee, don't do Sunday brunch at La Fabrique. But if you want the breakfast menu reinterpreted in original, sometimes audacious ways (and you are willing to have the accompanying wine suggestions - even at 11am!) then by all means make a reservation. And specify that you want ring-side seats to the open kitchen! Half the fun is watching how they produce these amazing dishes.

How the kitchen team can work the usual shifts in the evenings and prepare the innovative dishes they cook up Sunday morning remains a mystery to me: I guess they are just sleep deprived. The menu is constantly changing as they invent new ways to cook eggs, or springboard off the idea of porrige and produce a creamy butternut squash concoction to accompany a small, savoury fillet of mackerel. Yes, for breakfast! And it works, trust me.

Last Sunday was Easter Sunday. The regularly changing à la carte menu was replaced by a prix-fixe menu of four courses. First up, an "eggnog", consisting of a cream of parsnip and celery root soup, served in a real egg shell. Just a taster really, to whet the apetite and get you in the mood for what's to come.

The next two dishes were first, two takes on eggs, then a fish and meat course. The eggs course consisted of (1) a brilliantly soft boiled egg (how do they do that so perfectly??) with a slice of paper thin bacon, served on a bed of "hash brown potatoes" I use the quotation marks here because they really have nothing to do with the hash browns you see in your usual breakfast joint! And (2) a creamy scrambled egg dish with bits of lardons and asparagus. Just heaven.

If this dish was the "breakfast" in "brunch", then the next dish was "lunch": A perfectly cooked fillet of mackerel, on a bed of butternut squash "porrige" with some green peas mixed in. And croquettes of confit of lamb. All good to the last crumb, drop or morsel.

To end the meal was a chocolate concoction. Good, but please, could I have seconds of any of the other dishes instead? They were that good, and chocolate is chocolate...

Inventive, creative cuisine does not always work, and occasionally LaFabrique will not get a dish right, but in the dozen or so times we have done brunch there, over three years, we have never regretted it.

Easter brunch was $30/person, $18 extra for the 3 wine pairings (great private importations!). Extras were the various mimosas and the special bubbly that day, called Piège à Filles, was fantastic. The portions are not huge - most Americans might even consider them small - but they are just right.

The atmosphere is industrial chic, the clients trendy but not too much and the waitstaff are young, professional, and know when to be friendly and when to let you be on your own.

La Fabrique Sunday brunch is a "must do" when in Montreal.

Ottawa
“Absolutely Delicious, Unique Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My best girlfriend and I hit Montréal for a girls night out and discovered La Fabrique by chance. Upon entering, we were intrigued by the sounds and smells of what appeard to be the chef's kitchen right in the middle of the restaurant. We were promtly seated at a choice table for two right beside the kitchen so we had an amazing view of everything the chef (and his sous chef) were doing. Considering myself a foodie - this was a really nice experience for me to see how a professional does it. We quickly ordered a nice bottle of red and were given plenty of time to review the ample menu consisting largely of delicacies not found in your average restaurant. My bestie and I settled on a terrine (mine: pork and creamy mushroom. Hers: Nicoise) for a starter; when our plates arrived, we were shocked at the generous portion! The terrine's were out of this world - even though I was concerned about spoiling my dinner, I couldn't put the fork down! For our main, I ordered the chef's daily special which was a "surf and turf" which consisted of braised pork belly and seared scallops served on a bed of pillowy soft gnocci and mushrooms with carrots. My friend had grilled filet mignon with scallop and fois gras - and le piece de resistance: french fries cooked in duck fat - wow! The meal was delicious, the wine menu was reasonable and the staff was very friendly. I will not hesitate to go back to La Fabrique and take either my husband or business associates.

• Visited January 2012