“Ok, if you know what to expect” 2 of 5 stars

B&B Le Bleu Balcon
4420 St-Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2J 2L1, Canada (Le Plateau-Mont-Royal)   |
Ranked #91 of 147 Montreal B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Ok, if you know what to expect”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Very reasonably priced, so it seemed like a great deal for H
holiday weekend. It was extremely hot, so our first disappointment was that it wasn't air conditioned. Shared bath down the hall. Our room was not made up the next day. If you're staying for a few days it won't be cleaned at all. I even had to ask him to supply more toilet paper in the one bathroom for the floor on our 3rd day.The first night we hardly slept. With window open it was very noisy as well as hot. There were two fans, at least. I asked for hair dryer, but it only worked on one speed.

Owner is very gracious and helpful. Breakfast was good. Very convenient to metro, restaurants, and not far from Old City and down town. He really needs to install ductless air conditioning, and buy a couple of new hair dryers. There is parking for an extra fee.

Room Tip: Avoid one facing the street because of the noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed at Le Blue Balcon for one night on a road trip through Quebec and New England. In Montréal it was a good choice. We came back to Le Blue Balcon for another night. The room was small with shared bathroom and shower on the corridor, but it was impeccably clean and we slept very well. The innkeeper Mr. Saïd is very friendly and attentively serves a good breakfast. Since March 2010 when he took over Mr. Saïd is working hard to change the previous bad reputation of Le Blue Balcon B&B into a good name. You can tell the innkeeper loves what he does.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I was a bit unsure of staying there after reading the reviews, but this was the only place we could find during Grand Prix weekend. It turns out that the place is really nice. I think that it has changed hand since some of the negative reviews went up. (The owner says he took over in March). Well, the new owner is super-friendly, the breakfast was nice, and our room had clearly been recently re-decorated. Some of the house (an old Victorian walk-up) still needs sprucing up, but it looks like they are working on it a bit at a time. Overall, my family and I had a nice stay there. Great location in the Plateau, close to Mont Royal station, and there is a fabulous ice cream place (Cremerie Meu Meu) just a few doors away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Great location,very comfortable and quiet room.The owner was very friendly and accommodating.I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I had been to Montreal once before with the same friend and we had an AMAZING time at University Bed and Breakfast. Unfortunately, Le Bleu Balcon just didn't live up to it in fact, it was downright terrible. The amazing breakfast that they boast about was nothing special. The coffee was bad and we were served whatever the cook felt like making. "Do we order from you?" we asked..."Sit" was the cook's response. She was nice, but it just wasn't all that. When we arrived, we were given the key to a different room than the one that we were promised. This room was bigger but....not clean. There must have been a mixup or an overbooking because the one we were supposed to have was occupied the next day. The bottoms of our feet were FILTHY just from walking from the bedroom to the bathroom through the kitchen once! The sheets were dirty. I mean, they were never changed. There were stains on them, food crumbs found, and wood chips? Strange but all true. We actually had to raid the linen closet and change our own sheets. When we came home later the next day, our sheets had been changed but there were brand new, straight out of the box, starchy, cheap sheets on the beds, there was also a knife found on our bedside table. I am assuming it was used to open the sheet packaging...but still. The towels smelled of mildew and the bathroom plumbing was in poor condition. Cold showers and slow-draining tubs were just the half of it. At the end of our stay, we did bring some of these issues to the owners attention but he told us to just "write it in the book" the guest book. We were not surprised to find several pages torn from the book when we looked at it. He didn't show any true remorse for the conditions of the place instead stating that we should be happy that we got to stay in that part of town for such a cheap price. This, even after we told him how uncomfortable our first night was. He countered with, "well I put her (former chamber maid) out and I gave you new sheets..." He didn't get it. This guy really only cares about the dollar, not the quality of your stay and certainly not your comfort. In fact, he spent the weekend avoiding us. We had to have the new chamber maid call him so we could pay our bill. After looking through the guest book, it looked as if he had just taken the place over (there were comments addressed to a couple from earlier in the summer) and really didn't have a clue as to what he was doing! In short, The place was run down, the service was less than adequate, and the owner didn't seem to care! I don't care HOW good the location was...I will never stay here again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Western Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

First of all, I am a thirty year old woman who is generally laid back and chill about traveling, but the experience at le bleu balcon was just over the top and so I am going to share some of this experience with potential guest, because I think it is only fair.

My friend and I spent three nights at le bleu balcon late September. The first night we were there we noticed that our sheets were dirty; my friends bed had a fresh stain on it (not a small stain, either) and once we pulled the sheets off we noticed that there was hair and what looked like crumbs in the bed. My bed also had crumbs and little pieced of wood in it. No one was there to assist us so we found some sheets in a linen closet and changed them ourselves. The next day we informed an employee of our problem. When we came back later that night (we were gone all day) we had new sheets on our bed (however, these sheets were of very poor quality and were not comfortable at all!) To our surprise there was also a steak knife left on our bedside table, which we could only assume was used to open the packaging for the sheets...still, a little disconcerting!

The bathroom situation was not good either. They were not very clean; there were hairballs on the floor and a lot of dust. Also, the upstairs bathroom has a small clawfoot tub/shower which doesn't drain well, so after a few minutes in the shower you are standing in dirty water you washed yourself in. The downstairs bathroom had no clean towels to dry your hands on, and the three times I took a shower over the weekend I ran out of hot water after only a few minutes.

The breakfast is not that good. (But...to be fair, we only ate one morning.) We were not asked what we wanted, but instead the young woman cooking just brought us two plates of food- french toast with fruit drizzled in chocolate sauce. Nothing exciting about that! Also, the coffee was only luke-warm and not very good.

When we went to pay at the end of our trip we owed $450. for three nights. This is probably a good price for the Mont-Royal area which is very nice, and St Denis is a great street to stay on, however, I would rather be in another location and walk to St Denis than stay at le bleu balcon again.
* Also, the general cleanliness of the place wasn't so good. My friend and I had to wash our feet off at night before going to bed the first night after walking around our room and to the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Gatineau
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

When I saw the add of this B&B saying that they had the best breakfast in town...I thought it would worth staying there...good location and good breakfast sounded like a good deal. Unfortunetly my experience was completly different. So far, the worst breakfast service I've ever had in a B&B in Canada...and for the price I paid, I'd never go back either would I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to B&B Le Bleu Balcon? Share your experiences!