“Nice, normal hostel” 3 of 5 stars

3990, rue St-Hubert, Montreal, Quebec H2J 2X6, Canada   |
New York
“Nice, normal hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a nice, normal hostel in a hip neighborhood of Montreal. It is near many restaurants and shops, and parking on the street (at least, in May) was not a problem. Breakfast is essentially only bread and jam, but there are some nice bakeries nearby.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I enjoyed my stay there. The owner is really nice & there were nice people staying there. The location is great & I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Bay of Plenty
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We had booked in for two nights. The room we were given was bright pink and had its own bathroom and 'kitchen'. The window in the bathroom was broken. There was no clean towels, in fact there was a dirty towel on the floor in there. There was no soap or anything like that either, which would not have been a problem and not expected in a hostel, but they could have removed the old leftover soaps from previous guests.

The kitchen was just as disgusting. I would not have risked cooking anything there. The fridge had not been cleaned either.

The bed was a thin piece of foam placed onto a solid piece of wood. It was extremely hard and very uncomfortable.

We left the next day after getting our money back that we had paid for the second night. There was no way that we were going to stay another night. The guy at reception asked us to take him to the room and show him the dirty state of the room. He did not seem very surprised and was not really apologetic at all.

I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone. The reviews here are misleading, and the photos are not of this property.

Unfortunately for us we arrived late in the evening otherwise

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Not a bad hostel, great in social terms, organised pub crawl was good fun, always someone to chat to in the bar

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

This was my first hostel experience, and it was a good one. Although in general, I am not a hostel person (I like having my own bathroom!) I enjoyed it. The atmosphere there is very warm and inviting, and I met and talked to some really interesting and kind people. The owner is really nice and speaks both English and French (as most of Montrealers do).

I stayed here during my first trip to Montreal and I fell in love with the city, largely I think, because I fell in love with the atmosphere of the city and with the Plateau area, where this hostel is located. It's right by the Metro (just a couple minutes walking) and close to numerous bars, restaurants and shopping.

The only drawbacks perhaps, were the bathrooms - freezing showers! (although I suppose it was good for the environment) and a seeming lack of security. I always felt safe (as a single woman), but the door was never locked and people coming in and out all the time. Of course, this contributed to the great atmosphere as well so there you go.

Anyways, good experience overall.

• Liked — Atmosphere and location
  • Disliked — Freezing showers (and breakfast is just bread and jam!)
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Auberge de Jeunesse Maeva Montreal? Share your experiences!