“Slick design, awesome location, small rooms!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zero 1

Save Saved
You added Hotel Zero 1 to your Saves list
Hotel Zero 1
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Rene-Levesque Est, Montreal, Quebec H2X 3Z5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #54 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Quebec City, Canada
“Slick design, awesome location, small rooms!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently while on business in Montreal. I had previously been, but only for a full-day conference in one of the meeting rooms. Staying here, however, proved somewhat disappointing.

From a design perspective, the place is nice. Some will find it probably too dimly lit, as these places seem to be - why is it that hip & trendy also means poor lighting and very little space in the rooms? One thing for sure is that rooms are small, very small. For a one-night stay, fine. I was alone, but I am not even sure I would come again with my wife, let alone with my kids...

Location-wise, however, this hotel is top-notch. Corner of Ste-Catherine street and Rene-Levesque, right in front of Chinatown and a block away from Quartier des Spectacles (shows, Jazz Fest, etc.). If you're trip if for business and you are traveling solo, this place is OK. If you're a couple, or want some leisure time, you may want to look into suites or bigger rooms.

Room Tip: There is no breakfast included with the price of the room, yet there are muffins, apples and coffee...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marie230401, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Zero 1, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear fredericg189,

First of all, thank you for choosing ZERO 1 for your last visit to Montreal. Thank you also for your review regarding your stay.
We have superb suites that can accommodate a couple or a family and would certainly accommodate you more. Maybe it could be interesting for a future visit to Montreal ?
It will be our pleasure to welcome you again !

Marie-Ève Gosselin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

rather nice when you walk in, very chic and modern. The front desk people were very nice and efficient at check-in.

My room was just a king bed in a small room. I'm okay with that as it was just me in the room.

The bathroom was great and very functional. I finally found the microwave hidden in the closet along with a small fridge! There was very little light in the room, which is probably why I didn't find the microwave sooner!

I was glad to leave the hotel as the bed was very firm. Way too firm for a hotel bed! I didn't sleep very well because of the bed. The hallways were quiet and there was little to no street noise.

It was a so-so stay

Room Tip: Higher floors on south side have a nice view looking towards Old Montreal.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gatineau, QC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently stayed overnight there. Not used to these type of hotels where everything is monolystic. Same gray tone throughout the building. Not sure if this was a new construction or an older office building that was converted. Very high ceilings which are unusual in hotels. Not exactly cheerful. The friendly front desk staff made us very welcome. As we had pre-booked it was a quick check in. As there was no parking on the street in front of the building you circle the block looking for the hotel parking. There is a 15 min hotel zone on the street behind the building. We were lucky that somebody was pulling out as we circled. It turns out that it's a valet parking setup which was a bit pricey. Also you have to call at least ½ hour ahead to get your car out of the off-site parking.
You then have to walk all the way around to the front to get in as the entrance through the convienece store is only opened with your swipe room key. Afterwards it's ok. One word of caution be aware of the street people in the park on that street. Whenever we went out they would tend to gravitate towards you with the hands out.
Everything in the room was well placed because if it was out of place then you were bumping into other furniture. Microwave, fridge and the dresser are all tucked away into closets so until you opened up the doors you were wondering where to put your stuff. With the floor to ceiling windows it does make the small room seem bigger. The curtains were a chore to open and close as you had to practically crawl over the bed to get to them. There was no draw strings on the side to do this. The bathroom was well laid out but again a bit of a squeeze when two people are in it. If you love soft beds then you are all set. I don't and could barely move in the morning.
The location of the hotel puts it close to many attractions so if you do stay there get out and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Overall, pretty good as far as location, decor, cleanliness; however, was quite disappointed when they did nothing about the fact that our stay was for our honeymoon. At the time of booking, we mentioned it, they noted it, but no one followed through. When there, we inquired again, we were told they would speak to management and get back to us, but again no one followed through. Understandable that not all hotels are obliged to do anything, and that they may not have room to provide anything; however, the fact that no one bothered to follow up with us at all was disappointing. Where's the customer service?

• Stayed October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were in Montreal for a night to see a concert in the area and wanted to stay somewhere clean ans safe within walking distance of l'Olympia; Hotel Zero 1 met those needs. Our room was compact but still felt like we had plenty of room thanks to a large window and high ceilings. The washroom was clean and well stocked, though I still don't see the appeal of a walk-in/no door shower, and other room amenities all made for a very pleasant albeit short stay. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. Convenient valet parking was available for $25/night.

North Ridgeville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Room was clean, very roomy, and comfortable with great amenities. Nice view out of the two windows (lots of natural light), Staff has always been kind, accommodating to our needs, and helped us out with whatever we asked about.

Chinatown right across the street, underground mall 1 block away, great place to be!

Room Tip: Choose a Loft room - very roomy, has a kitchenette, PLENTY of closet space, COMFORTABLE bed!!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was difficult to rate this as there are a lot of great things about this hotel. However, there are also a few drawbacks that prevented me from giving it a higher rating.

I'm not quite sure what type of building this was before and it has definitely been converted. The design was better than what I expected from what I've read and saw online. It has some great features that I was not able to try as I was busy during this business trip. The rooms appear to be all uniform as my colleague's layout was exactly the same. The drawers and closets have a lot of things hidden within them, such as cutlery, wine/beer opener, etc.

The staff are great, accommodating and bilingual, especially the front desk. The hotel is attached to a Couche-Tard/Mac's which is very convenient as the hotel is working on getting a restaurant/bar onsite.

When I returned to my room at 11:15 pm, my neighbours were still up and about and I could hear them through the walls. Fortunately, they appeared to have left about 30 minutes later and did not have any further issues. The HVAC unit was a bit loud when it would turn on, and based on the thermostat, appears to be older in general. I woke up to the sound of a long horn from a car outside sometime in the middle of the night. I was on the 6th floor and unsure if higher levels have the same issue. From what I know, there is 1 elevator, which can be frustrating especially during peak times.

The mini continental station of coffee, tea and muffins were surprisingly very good and sufficient. I would consider coming back for future business and leisure trips to Montreal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ZERO1MarieEve, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Zero 1, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear John A,

Your feedback is very important for us and we really appreciate you take the time to review the hotel. To answer your question, the building was originally a student residence that we converted into a hotel.
I want to apologize for the little inconveniences you went through at our hotel. At least you had a good time and enjoyed the overall experience.
Hope we get the chance to welcome you back!

Marie-Ève

Been to Hotel Zero 1? Share your experiences!