“LOVED the food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A l'OS

A l'OS
5207 St-Laurent, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Le Plateau-Mont-Royal)
514-270-7055
Neighborhood: Le Plateau-Mont-Royal
Ontario
“LOVED the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great location, wonderful wine, great food, everything was perfect.

Visited May 2012

Montreal, Canada
“Great BYOB but a bit too much on the salty side....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Overall great food at a reasonable price. The portions are big and the food is filling. As a starter I had their boudin noir (blood sausage). It was one of the best I had in years.
My second course was bay scallops served on crispy pork and jerusalem artichoke and a preserved lemon sauce. I also had their sautéed mushrooms which were way too salty, to the point that I had only one bite. My other option could have been the steamed vegetables which really looked good but halas that was not my pick.

As for the other courses the salt was not that overpowering, but I was so thirsty afterwards that I have to surrender to the fact: the chef doesn't use salt sparingly.
Only one of us had enough room for desert.
I don't know how people can eat their 5 course table d'hôte but it's a great deal. The only problem is the entire table has to go for that option. So bring someone with a similar appetite to yours if you feel like going for this much food.
Next time I'll stick to one to two starters because the portions are too big for me.
Will I go again? Maybe. But there are so many great places in Montreal to try and so little time.
But considering it's a bring your own wine... I'll consider I'll keep this place in my back burner for sure.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Different and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This was my first time at this French restaurant located on trendy St.Laurent Boulevard.; we were out with three couples.There are two dinner seatings @ 7:30 and 9:15. This small restaurant was packed with diners of all ages. Note: if you are sitting at the table near the door you will feel the cold air in the winter every time someone walks in or out. It has a minimalist look , with open kitchen concept. The young staff were bilingual, very friendly and helpful. The sour dough bread that was given in the beginning was all consumed-so fresh and yummy! Everything that we all ordered was delicious. You could tell it was thoroughly enjoyed because every plate was very clean! Appetizers ordered were the oysters, phyllo dough with goat cheese and carmelized bacon, foie gras, and arugula salad. Everyone glowed about their dishes. Main courses ordered were scallops, three veal shank specials with sweet potato puree and shitake mushrooms (only dissapointment was that it was lukewarm; didn't want to send it back ) and three striped sea bass (only one fish item on the menu; all else is meat). They were accomodating with any changes requested to the meal. Desserts were equally good and nicely presented-chocolate mousse were served in small glass jars with a side of blueberries & a cookie, dark chocolate brownie was served hot and gooey, sorbet was served in a large ceramic spoon. It was also nice that we could bring our own wine and not have that extra expense added to the bill. Overall we had great food and a great time! We were full!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
montreal
“Outstanding tasting menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Totally loved our culinary experience at this restaurant. Tasting menu was generous and phenomenal. A great find for a BYOW. Will definately be back. Staff was knowledgeable, friendly and efficient. Open kitchen showed true professionals at work, calm, cool and collected. Trendy atmosphere.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“decent BYOB”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

open plan kitchen: it gets hot in the dining room
nice bone marrow