“Great value, but watch out for sneaky charges on your bill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   380 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 0B1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #27 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Great value, but watch out for sneaky charges on your bill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

As most everyone else has mentioned, this hotel is a great deal for the money. It's right in the middle of everything, it has free WiFi, and it's clean and quiet. It also has an awesome pool.

However, watch out for sneaky charges on your bill. They charge $21.50 per night for parking without asking. They charged me even though it must have been obvious to the check-in attendant that I didn't require parking since I mentioned I would be taking the Metro. They also charged me $1.25 a night for a copy of the daily newspaper, which I did not even receive. These charges sullied an otherwise excellent experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your comment about how a good value was our property on your rescent stay with us. We never do a general parking charges to our customers, we charge parking only for registered vehicule that are mapped with a parking tag remitted at check in, i don't know why your were charge if you didn't have a vehicule, but we have certainly re-imbursed you the full amount if it was a mistake on our side, if not, please contact me and we will solved this issue right away. We don't apply any surcharge for newspaper delivery , it is included in your room rate as written on your registration card but an amount must be indicated as per our agreement with globe and mail. Thnaks again.

866 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Greek first
Underhill, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Check in was easy, I asked for and was placed in a tenth floor room. The parking garage access with the room key is brilliant. In NYC or Boston, once you park you cannot come and go w/out accruing more charges ! The helpful front desk exchanged American Money for Canadian with no problem..... they will change up to $100. Rue Sherbrooke had frequent buses and was just blocks away from chinatown and the Latin Quarter for walking/ shopping/ dining. All the concierges were quick with maps and well informed. Cute guys !
We appreciated the free internet usage to research shops, print out maps, be in touch with family back home. If we'd brought our own laptops, we'd have gotten lost in them, and it would be like being at home !!!
The top floor pool has a breathtaking view. We were lucky to have two sunny days out of a three day stay.... We showered side by side before and after swimming overlooking the city. At one point we just held hands while showering. The outdoor patio in summer must be fun. There is a nice sofa and chairs on one level below the pool. someone was there. So I turned the lounge chairs to face the city instead of the pool and we watched pigeons swirl about, in and out of streets below. What fun. There are also saunas in the women's and mens' changing areas. Sauna and spa pool were working well and quiet. Very relaxing.
The room was crisp, clean. ...comfy beds ... quiet...we slept like rocks. Hotel lobby has a cozy gas fireplace, sofas .... and restaurant service, food and atmosphere were great. Leisurely breakfast is such a luxury these days, with Starbucks coffee no less! Loved the rocks on the room divider between bar and restaurant. Came home and moved some of my beach rocks to the dining room table! The silk flower arrangements with stones in transparent oblong containers were soothing....Wall art work was very interesting !!!
So all and all, we had the excitement of great museums, good food and shopping choices, AND a quiet oasis to come back to.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will share your positive feedback about our great service to all our staff. You pointed out many of our key selling features such as our roof top pool, our cnetral location, our restaurant food quality and our overall modern decoration style. thanks again.
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed one night and unfortunately I left something at in my room.I called as soon as I realized (about 5 hours after I checked out) and they did not find it. I know it is my responsibility to pack my own belongings but in the case where you may forget something, a guest should feel secure that hotel staff will do their job and submit the lost items to lost & found. Not so at this hotel. The item was left on the bathroom counter, an obvious place so there is no reason for it not to have been passed in. I cannot trust this place anymore, will never stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,
Every rooms are thoroughly checked after guests departure and all items found are recuperated by our housekeeping manager. We keep a detailed log of all items left behind and return them by mail upon guest requests, This procedure ensure as well that all valuable items are locked in a safe until returned to our customers. Thank you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week around New Years with my fiance and some friends. Most of the other reviews said that this Hilton was in a great location and was a great hotel - boy, were they right!! This place was definitely worth every penny.

The gentleman who checked me in was very nice and really took the time to explain to me all of the hotel's services and amenities. I certainly love a great check-in experience! The restaurant was also really great. The staff were very nice and they had some very interesting items on the menu. The meals I had there were top-notch.

The room was nice and spacious, all that we needed to have - bathrobes, coffee maker, microwave, TV, free wireless internet... And their little store in the lobby had all the goodies we needed when we weren't out adventuring around town.

Everything you could want to do is within a small walk, metro or bus ride. Movies, concerts, restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs and even museums. I had a great time in Montreal.

On top of all this, we were there for New Years and were worried that we were going to have to listen to all-night parties in a room next to ours. Were we ever impressed by the security tactics enforced by the management! As it was, we found the hotel very safe (key card needed to access the floors and garage) - in the rooms and in the garage - but they sure pulled all the tricks out of their sleeves that night. There was plenty of security and they were checking everyone that came into the hotel - making sure that they were guests and that there weren't many people going up to each room. It was very comforting that there were a couple of police officers there as well making sure that no one would come in and cause problems. This was especially nice in contrast to the Holiday Inn next door, where people standing outside were inviting people off the street to come in and party in their rooms with them.

Overall this was a great trip and this hotel, staff and their management definitely helped make it that way!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your great review about your rescent stay with us on new year eve. We are glad to see that you did appreciated all our efforts to keep a secure and warm environment to our travelers on this specific period of the year where travelers come in town to party, Things can easily run out of control as you had noticed in hotels nearby us, we really plan ahead and have established lot of procedures to ensure our customers will enjoy their stay with us without noise disturbance.... We hope to serve your lodging needs in a near future.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I came to the Hilton garden Inn with my girlfriend for a weekend away from my roommates. We had a great time, We chose this hotel from all the positive reviews here on trip advisor. There are so many choices in Montréal and this one is a must.

We got a King size bed that was a bit firm, but we found out from the front desk that all the mattresses are adjustable so we were able to change the softness of the bed. And had no issues there.

Seeing is how it get so cold sometimes here we were very excited to use the indoor pool. Heated and clean. The only thing is we found out that it is shared with the apartments next door, which is less of an issue with pool but we noticed the gym was very busy at certain times.

We went to see the front desk for some suggestions for diner. We stayed away from the hotel restaurant because we wanted something fancier, and with a bit more choice. The girl at the front desk was very nice, but she kept trying to give us a map. We told her we lived here and just wanted to try something we may not have heard of. She then Directed us to the concierge. Not so much fun to get passed around from person to person, but they were always nice about it. The gentleman who was working at the door was also the concierge he suggested us to go to Vertige which was a very nice French restaurant in the Plateau of the city. Nothing new food wise for us but good either way.

When we finally got to bed we noticed a bit of noise from outside we were facing Sherbrook street). There was a little bit of noise, but that is to be expected when staying in the city. The next morning we passed by to inquire about the taxes on our bill. We didn’t know there was a hospitality taxe on top of all the other taxes in quebec.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant on the way out. My girlfriend and I go out for breakfast quite often, it was nice to have a buffet breakfast for only 15$ comes with eggs, sausage, fruit, coffee, and a bunch of other stufff we didnt want. Compaired to most breakfast the price was compairable and seeing any other a la carte breakfast would cost the same price for the same or even less, it was worth it we figured.

In the end we had a good time. It was an affordable hotel, that was good enough for us!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thanks for your review. This is really nice to see that local people can stay and relax themselves in their downtown hotels when on weekend or vacation. We sincerely want to thank you for all details you've provided in your review and we have noticed how open minded you are when giving your feedback about your overall experience with us. Thanks again.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We were at the Hilton Garden Inn on 380 Sherbrooke st. in Montreal for New Year's. The Room was very nice, spacious and clean the Staff was great and the tight security during New Year's Eve was so good that it insured me my wife and two little boys a good night sleep. I strongly recommend this Hotel..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your time with us on new year eve, we hope you will return soon!
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was encouraged after reading reviews, so decided against the usual Sofitel down the street where I always stay in favor of a jaunt at the Hilton GI.

Upon check-in, despite requesting high floor was placed on lower floor. Spouse realized this and I immediately asked for higher floor, but the desk clerk *rolls eyes*, and says the only higher one, two floors up actually has a worse view. I speak French, but thought perhaps his attitude was because I addressed him in English. Ok, I thought, so we went with it.

The room overlooks a busy street, but noise wasn't that bad. Oh well, we didn't have the highest room rate, I justify to myself.

Indoor garage parking is about $25 per day after taxes/fees, which was reasonable and very secure. No complaints there. Free wifi was slow but a nice perk. Restaurant in lobby was very pricey for middle of the road quality food; we ended up eating one meal there but went back for two at the Sofitel (they have a truly outstanding menu.)

Rooms are adequate -- look at the pics here and you will get a good idea of what to expect. Dingy old dirty carpet that I wouldn't walk barefoot, but otherwise pretty clean and well maintained. Towels aging and thin, but comforter laundered (big plus) and sheets very clean. No robes or other amenities of significance.

I would have given this a significantly better review except for my experience at check out at the end of our 4 day stay. A short time prior to our checkout time, my spouse became quite ill, and around 11 AM she calls the desk and asks for a few more minutes to checkout (I'm a Hilton honors member.) Check out is normally at noon. A different desk clerk again gives her attitude, and says "That is not a feature of Hilton honors... it is our discretion, and you can only have until 12:30."

I had all the bags packed, standing by the door in a suit and tie, waiting for my spouse to exit the bathroom, and at 12:25 there is a knock on the door by a woman with a clipboard, asking "what time are you going to leave? Your time is up and need to be out." I pleaded with her that my wife was a tad ill, and she said "Fine" and left.

???

We were out of the room less than 10 minutes later, at 12:35.

I've never really been treated like this as a frequent business traveler -- I'm not sure if it was because I made the reservation on Expedia? Or if they get a lot of "squatters?" I checked availability of the hotel and it was wide open, so they were not pressed for turnover. The woman was not a room-cleaner, she was just bouncing us out.

Two weeks later, and the hotel has still not credited my Hilton Honors account despite writing it on Expedia reservation form and giving it to the desk clerk.

If you stay here - go in with the mindset of a Holiday Inn, not a real Hilton or even Doubletree. It is adequate, but poor, surly service by staff with a poor attitude ruins the stay. We're obviously two professionals after a four day stay and left the room immaculately clean, but they can't give an extra 30 minutes?

For shame. I won't stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for submitting a review on your rescent stay with us. It is standard procedure that check out is at 12h00. Due to express check outs, many customers don't even pass by front desk and our housekeeping department has clean all rooms for afternoon arrivals. Hhonors customers that book through online travel agency such as expedia are not elligible for points.Thanks.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville? Share your experiences!