“Great Trip great Hotel Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   380 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 0B1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #23 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Great Trip great Hotel Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We were at the Hilton Garden Inn on 380 Sherbrooke st. in Montreal for New Year's. The Room was very nice, spacious and clean the Staff was great and the tight security during New Year's Eve was so good that it insured me my wife and two little boys a good night sleep. I strongly recommend this Hotel..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your time with us on new year eve, we hope you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was encouraged after reading reviews, so decided against the usual Sofitel down the street where I always stay in favor of a jaunt at the Hilton GI.

Upon check-in, despite requesting high floor was placed on lower floor. Spouse realized this and I immediately asked for higher floor, but the desk clerk *rolls eyes*, and says the only higher one, two floors up actually has a worse view. I speak French, but thought perhaps his attitude was because I addressed him in English. Ok, I thought, so we went with it.

The room overlooks a busy street, but noise wasn't that bad. Oh well, we didn't have the highest room rate, I justify to myself.

Indoor garage parking is about $25 per day after taxes/fees, which was reasonable and very secure. No complaints there. Free wifi was slow but a nice perk. Restaurant in lobby was very pricey for middle of the road quality food; we ended up eating one meal there but went back for two at the Sofitel (they have a truly outstanding menu.)

Rooms are adequate -- look at the pics here and you will get a good idea of what to expect. Dingy old dirty carpet that I wouldn't walk barefoot, but otherwise pretty clean and well maintained. Towels aging and thin, but comforter laundered (big plus) and sheets very clean. No robes or other amenities of significance.

I would have given this a significantly better review except for my experience at check out at the end of our 4 day stay. A short time prior to our checkout time, my spouse became quite ill, and around 11 AM she calls the desk and asks for a few more minutes to checkout (I'm a Hilton honors member.) Check out is normally at noon. A different desk clerk again gives her attitude, and says "That is not a feature of Hilton honors... it is our discretion, and you can only have until 12:30."

I had all the bags packed, standing by the door in a suit and tie, waiting for my spouse to exit the bathroom, and at 12:25 there is a knock on the door by a woman with a clipboard, asking "what time are you going to leave? Your time is up and need to be out." I pleaded with her that my wife was a tad ill, and she said "Fine" and left.

???

We were out of the room less than 10 minutes later, at 12:35.

I've never really been treated like this as a frequent business traveler -- I'm not sure if it was because I made the reservation on Expedia? Or if they get a lot of "squatters?" I checked availability of the hotel and it was wide open, so they were not pressed for turnover. The woman was not a room-cleaner, she was just bouncing us out.

Two weeks later, and the hotel has still not credited my Hilton Honors account despite writing it on Expedia reservation form and giving it to the desk clerk.

If you stay here - go in with the mindset of a Holiday Inn, not a real Hilton or even Doubletree. It is adequate, but poor, surly service by staff with a poor attitude ruins the stay. We're obviously two professionals after a four day stay and left the room immaculately clean, but they can't give an extra 30 minutes?

For shame. I won't stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for submitting a review on your rescent stay with us. It is standard procedure that check out is at 12h00. Due to express check outs, many customers don't even pass by front desk and our housekeeping department has clean all rooms for afternoon arrivals. Hhonors customers that book through online travel agency such as expedia are not elligible for points.Thanks.
Thornhill Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

As ex Montreal-ers,we usually return for a specific reason(Wedding ,Funeral,etc). This time we wanted to be tourists and get re-acquainted with the city. We chose the HGI again . because of our past positive stays. We were well received at check-in, and were in our rooms in minutes. The lobby is welcoming, and our room was tastefully decorated. Location of this Hilton is great, near the shopping district of Ste Catherine St , near the subway and within walking distance of Old Montreal & Museums. I also like the idea of self underground parking ,as you don't have to wait for valet parking to fetch your vehicle.
The staff was pleasant and really made the effort to make us comfortable.
On our next return to Montreal ,this hotel will be our home away from home.
Congratulations to the management & staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your time with us and that our self parking made you save time when leaving our facility in comparison to a regular valet service operated parking. we hope you will return soon!
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Good hotel in downtown montreal but slightly expensive. It is close to underground city (only couple of blocks) and host of restaurants. The in house rooftop gym and swimming pool is quite nice. Only complaint being that I had to pay 17$ for breakfast after paying 140$ for room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear reviewer,
We want to thank you for your review. Regarding our breakfast price, the cost per person is at $14.95 and we want to give all trip advisor community an idea about value you get for this price, we offer a full buffet (danishes, cheese, ham, cereals, wide variety of bred, starbucks coffee, fresh cutted fruits, waffle, daily special, yoghourts...) with the addition of a fresh on command (without limit) cook to order style formula for eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, a wide variety of pancakes and a daily special..... Value for price paid is an has always been a perception, we can't really judge as every customers have their own budget and expectations, but on a side note, we mostly have customers reviews about how our facility is by far the best value in town... Thanks again.
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend in December 2010 while coming to Montreal to celebrate our anniversary.

The hotel is in a great location ! Near great shopping and restaurants and most importantly Tim Hortons (lol). 2 minute walk to the Metro which takes you all over Montreal fabulously easy and fast!

The hotel was spotless and staff was friendly. View of Montreal wasw nice from our room and the room was spacious and the bed soooo comfortable.

Overall it was a great stay - we were not at the hotel much but when we were it was great.

One added touch was the Neutrogena products in the bathroom, nice big shower and salon style hairdryer.

Would stay here again anyday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Dear reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your time with us, we hope you will return soon!
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Big room, well appointed and clean. Free Wi-Fi was a nice touch too, so many places rip you off for this. Only downside to the room was there was no kettle, just a coffee perculator that even the staff admitted wasnt very good for dispensing hot water, but this is a minor gripe overall.

Staff were friendly and breakfast was very good.

Location was good, next time I think I'll stay in Old Montreal, but this was a good base for our first visit to Montreal.

Parking was expensive on top of the room rate, but was a huge convenience factor for us so can't complain too much about that!

Would recommend staying here, good value overall for location and standard of room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your comments about your rescent hotel experience with us. We really like your review title that do confirm that our hotel reviews are all going in the same direction. It is important for us to give our best to all our guest. Thanks again.
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I have stayed here before and continue to enjoy the Hilton Garden Inn, located in the Plateau de Mont Royal area. Though close to major restaurants, La Place des Arts and its metro station, shopping, and entertainment, it is also a relatively quiet area compared to other sections of the city. Since I use the hotel mostly for sleeping, I find this makes it very attractive. The rooms are spacious, well appointed, and comfortable. This is not a glamorous, trendy place; just a great well-managed hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Claley, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your experience with trip advisor members. We appreciated your feedback and wanted to give more details about our location to other readers, we are located on famous sherbooke street west in between McGill university and Montreal's art place. 5 minutes walking distance from latin district and underground eaton shopping center. We hope to serve your lodging needs in a near future.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville? Share your experiences!