“Great Chef & great food !” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Carte Blanche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,097 of 4,561 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Amherst
Transit: Bus 125 Metro stations at similar distance (5mns walk) : Berry Uqam / Sherbrooke / Beaudry
Description: NOW BRING YOUR OWN WINE Carte Blanche is the new leader of Montreal's Bistronomie trend. Lunch is bistro style with a pre-fixed menu at unbeatable value. The chef and owner (elected 2010 Chef of the Year by the Society of Chefs) will welcome you in the evening with a more elaborate selection of fine cuisine. All is served in a contemporary decor (finalist at the 2006 Creativity Montreal Design contest) and relaxing atmosphere. Carte Blanche is ideal for romantic diners as well as business meetings. The restaurant can also be reserved for cocktails, happenings, group lunch or dinner.
Montreal, Canada
“Great Chef & great food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I went for the first time at the Carte Blanche with my spouse for dinner. We both enjoyed the Valentine's special dinner and we were very pleased with our meal.
The lobster bisque was simply amazing. For the main course we tried the poached fillet of arctic char and the braised veal cheeks with risotto ; our preference for this one goes to the braised veal cheeks not that the fish wasn’t satisfactory, the veal and the risotto were sublime.
For the desert the caramelized pear cheesecake was a great way to finish a great dinner.
The service was courteous and the presentation of each plate was a real pleasure to the eye.
This restaurant isn’t huge, but the service and atmosphere is friendly and the food is tasteful and excellent.
We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

A bit expensive but very good! I recomend it!! Loved the attention of the chef who came to talk to us. He's is a very nice guy.

• Visited October 2011
Edmonton
“Surprisingly, not as good as I expected - one bad night?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

The restaurant itself was lovely with good ambiance and very good service. The meal selections were excellent as well as well priced. I started with the lobster bisque which was tasty, well seasoned and fragrant. I ordered the beef topped with fois gras for my main and finished with a shared "gastronomic" triple dessert of chocolate lava cake, creme brulee and apple pie. Unfortunately, my beef was undercooked and tasted of charcoal - more than appropriate, and when I returned it to be re-cooked, it came back without the fois gras which had melted off the top. The vegetable accompaniments were cooked perfectly. My dining partner ordered a seafood dish with a risotto base - the risotto was undercooked and when brought to the server's attention, there was loud arguing in the kitchen, followed by an explanation that her crunchy/starchy risotto was cooked al dente. Sadly, our gastronomic dessert was also underwhelming, (over-firm, non-creamy brulee, and a dryish non-molten lava cake). Too bad.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
anast97, Owner at Restaurant Carte Blanche, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear customer,
I do remember very well your group. We are sorry you have been disappointed of what seems to be everything in your meal.
Especially because all details that did not suit you were immediately handled.
As professionals, we do take customer service very seriously. Your requests were handled by me, the owner -not a waiter. I am surprised you heard an arguing as the chef is my husband....therefore there was no arguing. ..!? You requested your meat medium rare, you thought it was not cooked enough, therefore we recooked it. Why should there be a problem with that ? As far as foie gras is concerned we are sorry that it melt so quickly on the warm meat but there is not much we can do about that.....Charcoal taste ? Yes probably, as it is grilled on charcoal.
Finally, regarding rice, it was the same for you colleague as for the other members of the group.
I can only stress out the definition of a risotto "Properly cooked risotto is rich and creamy but still with some resistance or bite". I understand that might not have been as you colleague wanted it (and the chef recooked it just at HER taste, what you rarely see anywhere) . We have many clients and you probably understand we need to have standards and, even if we wish we could cook to everyone's' specifics, we cannot do that.
We have taken note of your dessert remarks. We retested them and I am sorry you did not like them. We deeply regret we did not manage to help you with your needs.
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic food, service and ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We took my visiting family here, and we couldn't stop talking about it! It's rare that everything comes together to create a special evening - food, service, ambiance - but Carte Blanche surpassed my expectations. We actually chose it because it was highly rated on TripAdvisor...a good strategy. I started with the mushroom ravioli, with a hint of truffle oil - truly delicious. Then it was the duck confit, which I've never had before, but will definitely have again. Finally, for dessert, the chocolate lava cake - it was so good I almost passed out. While it wasn't a cheap night out ($230, 4 adults, a few glasses of wine), it certainly didn't break the bank, and it was more than worth it. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
El Cerrito, California
“Great place for romantic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Celebrated our anniversary here. Quiet, unique foods and blending of flavors. Perfect meal.

• Visited September 2011