“Special Anniversary Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Charlevoix
Description: This restaurant specializes in upscale Italian cuisine.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Special Anniversary Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This restaurant lived up to the hype and then some. Food was delicious our server was very friendly, professional and knowledgable and the ambiance was great. A real unique place and food. The restaurant was also very nice to our kids - although please check the menu if you have picky eaters and note that it is expensive. My kids enjoyed the food too but were willing to split a plate of steak and smoked meat (which turned out to be my favorite)

88% Recommend
Columbus, OH
“Fabulous all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is so charming. It's like a New England fishing cabin. The menu is on a chalkboard, as is the wine list. The staff encourages you to take as much time as you need to read it and they are happy to translate or answer any questions. The wine list is extensive and at our request, our server chose a very complimentary bottle that was reasonably priced. I enjoyed the trout, which was fresh and light and served over lentils with potatoes and beets, my fiance had a lamb neck curry in a flavorful cinnamon-spiked curry sauce. I wish that we were more fond of oysters because others around us really seemed to be enjoying them. We ended with the apple dessert, pommes en cage, which was a baked apple with the most delicious pastry crust I have ever experienced. The service was terrific.

The tables are a bit close to one another, and the restaurant is small and gets a little loud, but that is part of the atmosphere. I didn't feel like we were dining with the next table over, which was the experience that we had on our previous trip at L'Express. Overall, really great flavors, great service, delightful experience.

Chicago
“French hip-hop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my second trip to the Liverpool House, both times really exceptional. There was more pressure this time as I was taking a friend for his birthday. He left saying that it may be his favorite restaurant anywhere! The oysters are the freshest that I have ever had. The ones from British Columbia were especially good. Every course was spot on, but in addition to the oysters, the venison carpaccio stood out. Even though the place has great food, the casual energy and loud music were very enjoyable for us and made it far less pretentious. I asked the waitress the difference between it and its sister restaurant "Joe Beef." She said that they both have their advantages. Joe Beef tries to be more creative with their menu, while at Liverpool House the menu is more consistent with recipes that have been proven to be good. I hope that Liverpool House's menu is that consistent, because I intend to order the same meal again on my next trip to Montreal. If I had one criticism, it would be that the menus are on a blackboard making it difficult, especially if you don't speak French. But the waitress was very patient and explained everything in great detail. A terrific evening.

Ottawa, Canada
“Great dining in a casual setting where you make new friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening here with great wine, food and table companions . This isn't a pretentious restaurant at all. The chalk board menus means that everyone works together to decide what to eat, which is a great way to meet your dining companions who are sitting very very close to you.but the food and wine were great, the prices reasonable for the size and quality, and the casual environment and friendship was outstanding. The best restaurant we have been to in many years.

Montreal, Canada
“Pricey but delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely crowded restaurant with a long waiting line for reservations. It does get a bit crowded and noisey, even on a Tuesday night. That said, the food was delicious, and the "lamb for 2" special was devine. Past reviews point out to the extraordinary "bloody ceasar" and so I ordered it, but found that it was way too spicy to my liking and hence did not enjoy it. That said the fresh oyster served on top was yummy.

All the food was excellent but what was even better was the service. Attentive, well-informed and gracious ... I look forward to a repeat visit in the very near future.

• Visited October 2012