“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Aromate

L'Aromate
980, Boul. de Maisonneuve Ouest de Maisonneuve West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1M5, Canada (Centre-Ville (Downtown))
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Aromate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #707 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Metclafe
Description: Au ceour meme de la vie urbaine de Montreal, rue de Maisonneuve Ouest, coin Metcalfe, laissez migrer votre plaisir. Le jour, pour les gens d'affaires, un bar-bistro rythme et convivial; le soir, un bar-resto chaleureux juste assez anime pour qui adore s'impregner d'un veritable esprit fraternel. De plus, la gamme de produits L'Aromate, integree a notre savoir-faire culinaire, vous est maintenant proposee au bistro dans la section epicerie fine; sans oublier des produits fins gourmets, du pret a emporter jusqu'au service de traiteur. Dorenavant, savourez le menu du Bistro L'Aromate : de notre table d'hote a la votre. At the heart of urban Montreal, Bistro L'Aromate is a friendly bar-bistro during the day for the local business and a lively bar-restaurant during the evening. Come enjoy the range of products L'Aromate has to offer and experience our culinary expertise.
Kamloops
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This place was fantastic. Great street level patio, phenomenal wine and drink selection, great service for our English speaking party, and unreal food. Grilled Brie and duck sandwich with a poached egg to dip. Would go back for sure.

Ottawa
“awesome food!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

since we were staying at the hotel, se decided to have dinner here and were very happy that we did!!

We sat at the bar (which is what we like to do) and had the ravioli's to start....they were so different that they were good!!

then I had the veal and it was unreal!!! soooo moist! my boyfriend had the scallops which came with all sorts of different carrots done different ways....the scallops were good but it was strange to have it with the carrots...then we had the brownie for dessert which was really good.

The only negative thing was that they didn't have any "domestic" beer so that was disappointing for my boyfriend and when he tried to order a mojito they didn't have any mint...they also didn't have a cocktail menu which was strange. The bar tender wasn't very chatty and seemed like she didn't want to be there and was always texting on her phone.

We would go back!

as a side note we also had breakfast there and I had the omelette which was not good at all. super dried out...but my boyfriend had the classic breakfast which looked awesome and he said It was. and the service was also really bad again....

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Urban cool fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My cover as Montreal's Restospy was blown two years ago by Nick Robinson, so I am doomed to write restaurant reviews in the open, unprotected, fork in hand, but diminished nevertheless.

Our party of six last night (November 21, 2013) converged on one of the relatively new bistro-style restaurants in downtown Montreal, L'Aromate, just a few blocks away from Crescent Street---far enough to keep that loud crowd away from this jewel. I love to eat in roomy lofty restaurants. The ceiling in this restaurant is three floors above sea level. The tables are placed around an attractive and busy bar. Jean-Francois Plante, the owner, is a TV chef on the French stations in Montreal, and an author of a few cookbooks. The kitchen, in plain view from the restaurant, is abuzz with a happy crew of chefs.

The menu has high upper class bistro fare like salmon tartare and beef tartare made from Quebec wagyu beef. The generous salmon tartare was perfectly prepared with fennel, lime, yoghurt and caviar. I started my dinner with a "boudin noir" to kill for. I have had hundreds of boudin noirs in my life despite annual warnings by my doctor. In Montreal, the best one I can remember was at A L'Os, but I now changed my mind---chef Cedric's creation at L'Aromate, with a tasty combination of maple syrup and apple flavors and a lovely smooth texture, is now in position one in the city.

My duck lived a good life in St. Louis de Gonzague, Quebec, where Elevages Perigord is located. Its premature end as a "canard confit" was as grand as its life---served in a delicate mustard, honey, parmesan, and thym sauce, and cut up into bite-sized pieces under a generous blanket of linguini, it was exactly what I was looking for in a main dish on an autumn night.

The menu has many meat and fish selections, all with their own individuality. One should not forget that L'Aromate markets itself as an upscale bistro, so the basic bistro items must be perfect too. I stole a Belgian frie from my neighbor, and can report---as someone who grew up on fries in Belgium---, that this frie would make the cut in the best restaurants in Brussels.

The heavenly selection of desserts left us wanting more, but our spirits were slightly blurred by four bottles of a superb Chardonnay. We enjoyed a pear clafoutis with a chocolate glaze and a caramel sauce on the basis of pear and brandy. Also highly recommended is a very original panna cotta on the basis of carrots.

This bistro restaurant appeals to men and women, young and old. A solid five stars for the food. But also five stars for the friendly service and "urban cool" ambiance.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had a delicious meal (the stake skirt) in a lovely atmosphere. The meal was large enough for me. I felt that I ate a good meal of real substance without feeling like I had a heavy stomach. However, this portion may be considered small by some. I came back the next day for lunch, the meal was excellent.

Visited October 2013
New York, NY
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The braised lamb is remarkable, and the omelettes are flavorful, perfectly cooked and a great way to start the day. Best restaurant in Montreal, hands down.

• Visited June 2013