“Nice, but I expected more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Le Crystal to your Saves list
Hotel Le Crystal
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Rue de la Montagne, Montreal, Quebec H3G 0A1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #14 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice, but I expected more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We booked our stay weeks in advance but when we arrived, they didn't have our reservation. Luckily they had available rooms so they were able to fix the reservation. The front desk and concierge/bellmen staff were friendly.

Our reservation included "surprises" in our room, we weren't sure what they were. My husband called reception and they were a little rude ("Can't your see anything???" to which he replied "What am I looking for?"). Turns out the "surprises" were wine and roses - we thought that the wine was part of the mini bar stock and the flowers were standard decor.

The room itself was fine. The main room had a small table with 2 chairs, love seat, TV, and small kitchenette.

The bedroom had a queen bed, club chair, and desk. The TV was on a cabinet at the foot of the bed but my husband, who's tall, kept knocking it with his feet and he was afraid he'd knock the TV off in the middle of the night. The phone in the bedroom didn't work.

The bathroom was nice - double sink, large tub, large shower. Lots of towels and a lot of nice toiletries which I always like!

Included with our reservation was a continental breakfast which we didn't enjoy. The selection wasn't great, bottled juice was warm, dishes were dirty, glass was cracked, etc. However the service was good.

The location was very good, just a few blocks from St. Catherine and shopping.

Overall this hotel was nice but for the price, I really was expecting more. I would definitely check out other hotels before staying here again. Our friends stayed in a hotel nearby that was half the price but just as nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

562 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The hotel is quite new offering very contemporaneous and confortable rooms to the guests. I've stayed at the 1002 a small nice suite with kitchnet and a Nespresso machine with coffe capsules refurnished everyday, included in the rate. Nice from the hotel. Small investment that makes a big difference to the guests that like me like to wake-up very early to check mails an do some business work before 6 AM. Breakfast at the retaurant, (very helpfull employees) but with litle offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony in the upper floors. The view is great and city noise muc lower.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was fortunate enough to spend around 6 months living in Montreal and found it to be the most wonderful City. I stumbled across this hotel which had recently opened then after a colleague had found it a few blocks from the office. We were getting a bit tired of the Fairmont by then.

The rooms are not huge but more than adequate and the rooms are quite well designed. The bathroom and shower are fabulous and the bed very comfortable. The staff are more than friendly, I couldn't fault any of them, whether it was the lovely Justine on the reception or the concierges', they just looked after you with a smile on their face.

Overall a great place to stay and if your there regular enough you may even see the odd star (Lewis Hamilton and Monica Baccarin were my highlights!)

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for our first wedding anniversary. We made our decision based on the roof-top hot tub. We were heart-broken to find out on our first evening that the hot tub was broken and would be for our entire stay. It was unfortunate that the front desk wasn't aware of this at the time of check in when we asked what time it was open till and planned our evening around it. That being said, the manager and staff were great and refunded our first nights stay without question. Because of the customer service, we will definitely come back here on our next visit to Montreal, assuming their hot tub is working :)

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The name gives an interesting indicator of the kind of place this is, it has many different facets. The rooms are spacious with modern decor and large windows. The bathroom had an enormous shower with molton brown products which I am partial to. Our room (and I think all rooms) also had a kitchenette with sink, microwave, cupboard space, hob and granite work surface! For a longer stay I imagine this would be a great resource (but may put off some who can't bare to think of housework while on vacation! You can guess which camp I inhabit). The bed was housed in its own separate interior room so I was a little disappointed it had no exterior window (I felt it a pity that somehow the layout could not be organised better given the money spent on the interiors). The living area with couch and table and chairs was great. The hotel is not that high up so views are not very impressive. High marks for the swimming pool on the highest floor and there is a hot tub overlooking the city! The gym is small but well located near the pool with a good view. We stayed in a pricey deluxe but surely Montreal has something with a bigger kick at this end of the market. The executive suite did look impressive and it's bedroom did have its own window. I did not like the tv at the end of the bed in the superior rooms. Time to think about installing those cabinets that a tv can sink into rather than sit looming at ones feet; it's a small gripe but indicative of the design team not thinking all the details through (like the interior bedroom). Overall a high end experience but lacking some of the pazazz promised by the sparkling name!

• Stayed October 2012
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Montreal turned out to be not our favourite city and we weren't there for long; so I can't easily judge Le Crystal's location but it seemed pretty central in a not very attractive town. The hotel was "adequate" rather than warm and inviting and first impression (reception) was again no more than adequate.

Le Crystal would seem to be a business hotel rather than a tourist holiday hotel and so we, being at leisure, were somewhat underwhelmed. The room - an Executive Suite with balcony - was fine rather than amazing but certainly no complaints. The one clear weakness was the restaurant - an attitude from staff at my lunchtime business meeting which was a mix of snooty disdain and lack of interest. Snooty disdain really doesn't do it for me - an apparent attitude of "are you important enough to be graced with our favour?" won't impress at all and merely annoys. The staff's attention was instead focussed on what seemed to be business lunchtime regulars and one got the impression that with basic rather than fluent French I was an irritation.

The restaurant food was excellent, the restaurant staff poor.

I wouldn't want to put you off if you're considering Le Crystal (I'd previously had wonderful help from them when booking) but if you're looking for luxury and personal attention the overall rating is merely adequate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I've been back several times now, and I love it more each time I go. First off, the hotel itself. The pool is beautiful, and the roof-top hot tub is even better, the entire skyline is layed out at your feet! The rooms are spacious (I have always upgraded to the Deluxe suite) and well appointed with everything you might need to be comfy throughout your stay (wine glasses, corkscrew ;) The bedroom, which is nicely separated from the kitchen/sitting room, is well sized for an urban property, and the bed is amazing!!!! The bathrooms are truly lovely with an unusually large soaking tub and pretty (separate) marble shower and double vanity. In terms of location, it's the best. Extremely easy access when driving into Montreal off I10, and once you are there, park the car, you can walk everywhere! Old Montreal, Crescent street, the Bell Centre, shopping, Mont Royal, are all within very easy walking distance. And last (but certainly not least) the staff is superb. Friendly, and always available to assist in any way(for example, I realized my Passport was sitting on the console of my car at about 230am... One call to the valet and it was delivered to me in less that 10 minutes). As I said, I will NEVER stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: they usually offer a "Sweet Deal" package which entails a 2 night stay with an upgrade to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le Crystal? Share your experiences!