“Not a 5 star in my opinion/experience.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Le Crystal to your Saves list
Hotel Le Crystal
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Rue de la Montagne, Montreal, Quebec H3G 0A1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #17 of 164 hotels in Montreal
ONTARIO
“Not a 5 star in my opinion/experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I don't want to offend anyone but with my overall experience at this hotel I wouldn't agree that it was 5 stars. It's definitely not the Ritz. We stayed in the Superior King Suite. I believe we were on the 4th floor. Room 409. This suite was facing Rene Le vesque street. It was very noisy from the traffic outside which made our stay less pleasant. Our room had several minor deficiencies. First thing we noticed was that there was some sort of human (pubic)hair on the bedroom leather chair by the window. It was unacceptable. There were some holes in the bed frame at the bottom of the bed where it seems there used to be maybe some outlets for electrical plugs. The drywall was incomplete by the electrical plug for the espresso machine. A hole was visible. Also noticed the drywall for the false wall/pocket door between the bedroom and TV area was cracking. This may be due to poor design. The drywall tape is cracking. Also the system you have in place for controlling the room's temperature for HVAC/lighting etc is hard to use. I had an issue with the A/C system . The noise coming from the air vent in the bedroom was so loud that it made it hard to sleep. It wouldn't turn off no matter what I tried to adjust on the HVAC controls in the room. Finally I called downstairs to the front desk. I read in your hotel book that the rooms AC etc can be controlled from the front desk. So I called the front desk to see if they could turn off the AC fan in just the bedroom. They sent a maintenance person upstairs to see me instead. The maintenance person said he didn't know how to run or control the HVAC system and the option he offered was to open the fuse box by the front door/ behind the painting and to pull the breaker. So he threw the breaker I think it was breaker 4-5 to turn off the A/C all together. That's a 5 star solution? I asked what I should do if I want A/C for the next day. He said to just throw the breaker back. Great. Also the bathroom sinks(both) were slow to drain water. As well I couldn't get cold water from shower. The shower would only give me warm to luke warm at most. Plenty of hot water though.

Check in was reasonably quick. Front desk staff were nice and pleasant. Although during our 3 night stay the front desk staff seemed indifferent and never said hello or acknowledge us when coming in and out of the hotel. The Valet staff were superb and very helpful. On 2 occasions the Valet person even gave us complimentary water for our walk one day, and also on our departure day. The valet was also helpful with directions and a map of the area. The valet was great. Also I would like to say that the bellman was great as well. Excellent service when I requested ice for my room a few times. These staff showed 5 star service and made our stay that much better. Also I realized that housekeeping doesn’t vacuum every day and just when you depart. This I found to be also a bit unacceptable. I had breakfast one morning in the living area by the kitchen and some crumbs made their way to the floor. I was surprised to see these crumbs were still there after our room was cleaned. They were very visible. I guess I should be more careful when having breakfast. I was a bit disappointed to find out that housekeeping only vacuums the rooms once on departure. I also observed in the hallway outside our suite that someone else’s previous morning in room breakfast dishes and waste were still sitting in the hallway the next day. Never mind the stained and dirty carpet in the hallway. Definitely not what I would expect from a 5 star establishment. The Pool and Whirlpool were excellent. The young girl/lifeguard was very nice and accommodating. Lobby of hotel was nice and hotel security was great.

Room Tip: Higher floor and facing away from Rene Le vesque street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear CDNTRVLR,

Thank you for having taken the time to compose your detailed review for Hotel Le Crystal. Your overall review indicates that while amenities and services were good the physical room issues and housekeeping were the prevailing negative points and absolutely a disappointment for us to read.

The hair on the chair and carpet cleaning has been addressed with housekeeping. We do use UV sterilization wands and black light inspection techniques and I will make certain these tools are more functionally used and exploited in our Platinum Certified room inspections. The hole in the bed frame is actually a ac plug access and it should have a plate on it. The minor plaster issues have been looked at for routine treatment and are fixed.

The air conditioning management you experienced was unacceptable and bizarre especially concerning the use of the breaker. This suite is on a technical review right now to remedy this issue. All temperatures of suites can be controlled at our front desk as a function of the Siemens Hotel Solutions system we have in place as the only hotel in North America with this particular system - hence it should function as promised.

Thank you again for your extensive comments and be assured I was both very disappointed and responsive to your attention detail which ultimately allow us to provide a perfect experience. In the event you are returning to Montreal please feel free to contact me directly.

Geoff Allan

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Gatineau, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Well located hotel 1 block south of the main shopping district of Montreal, this boutique hotel is well worth considering.
Well appointed rooms, impeccably clean and ultra-modern, very chic interior decorations, super quiet and very comfortable beds.
Choose and upper level floor to reduce street noise, we were on the 9th floor.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've stayed here on a number of business trips. Great location, clean, friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was our second trip to Hotel Le Crystal--we had a fantastic time a couple of years ago when it opened, so we specifically made our reservations here when we decided to go up to Montreal for the weekend. We checked into our hotel suite, and were greeted with a bottle of wine on the table, as well as some nice chocolates---too bad it wasn't for us. There was a card next to it on the table which had someone else's name in it, so we called the front desk and 10 minutes later housekeeping was up to claim the misplaced bottle of wine and nothing else was said about it for the rest of our stay. One of the reasons we had booked again at Le Crystal is because we love that they have a rooftop jacuzzi, which is really quite lovely in the late day sun. Our first stay at Le Crystal, this had almost been our own private terrace, but this time, it was crowded--almost impossible to get a deck chair most days, and there were frequently children in the jacuzzi, so definitely not as relaxing. A couple of things we do love about Le Crystal--decoration in the room is clean and modern, and there are Molton Brown shower and bath supplies, which is quite lovely. Location is great--walking distance to a lot of the attractions, also metro is closely. We got a package that included a metro pass and made plenty of use of it. The valet parking is actually quite expensive, and I kind of wish we had just parked in the outdoor lot across the street that would have been $20 less per night. A couple of other minor notes--the AC was great on a hot day (my husband likes to keep it quite cold) but there wasn't really a thick duvet on the bed, so I was freezing. Also, housekeeping left one of their cleaning rags in our bathroom on one of the days of our stay. These are just minor points, but I thought I'd just mention them as it explains why I felt our stay wasn't a "5". The hotel is still one of our favorites in Montreal, but compared to our first visit, in my opinion, it's just slipped a little.

montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I live in Montreal and every once in a while when I have guests, we try out different locations. Le Crystal is definitely a 5 star hotel with large, modern rooms/suites and an exceptional restaurant in the hotel. Food, wine and service were top notch. I would stay here again and despite Sofitel having a between "night life" location, it is not as "posh" as Le Crystal. Le Crystal is ideally situated for business travel and meetings as well as couples. Wouldn't consider this a "family" hotel. Is a little further for the Crescent street nightlife but accessible to all that Montreal has to offer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The modern design of this hotel works. Its not the usual "modern" which is code for can't-be-bothered-to-do-the-detail. Hotel le Crystal manages to be attractive and have a great attention to detail, from the well-stocked fridge, to a well-equiped bathroom, to an attractive top floor pool and spa. The family suite was spacious, comfortable and attractive.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful and chic with all the amenities. Nice location as well.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Hotel Le Crystal? Share your experiences!