“La Vielle Histoire..what a scary story” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Good for: Romantic
montreal
“La Vielle Histoire..what a scary story”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was not the best way to start 2014..if my year is as good as this resto well i might as well sleep for a year.This was my 4th time here in 30 years and my last.I think the first time was the best...since then, all down hill.Same decor,service and i think same bread.The set menu had great choices but the service was..after my bisques which i received 5 minutes after i ordered it( canned soup i think),the rest of the service took 45min in between the courses..good thing its a bring your own wine...because you can drink yourself into thinking that this place is good.The food was either over cooked or cold.
The dessert and coffee was hit or miss depending on the choice.
As far as i'm concerned this place is an old story and should be improved to the" gout du jour" because we are in 2014 and competition is everywhere.

Montreal, Canada
“No longer up to par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been visiting this restaurant for years. It actually used to be our favorite in Laval several years ago. Our last visits were a disappointment. What value do you get when bringing your own wine means compromising on the rest ? The food is just not worth the (hefty) price. Our appetizers and main courses were mostly bland, very plain in taste, no delicate taste, nothing out of the ordinary. The Litchee duck had one single litchee in the plate. The swordfish was the worst we ever had, dry, over grilled, tasting like burned wood, with little sauce to cover this up. The service tries hard, with some nice attentions, but it remains unfortunately, hit and miss. Our waiter was a young man of a few words, no issue per se, just very limited presence and lacking social refinement. Will not visit again, will continue to go to Les menus plaisirs, L'imparfait and Le Biniou, all good restaurants in Laval.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“The best in Laval. Bring your own wine and the food is fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were a party of 6. We were greeted by the owner and shown to a delightful seat in the front near the fire. We ordered the table d'hote and were thrilled with everything. The duck was great as was the lobster risotto and lamb. The desserts will blow you away. I was a bit worried because it was a Wed night (not the most popular) but everything was perfect and the service very friendly and professional. This is the 10th or 11th time I have been and have never been disappointed. I usually take the menu degustation which includes a taste of everything and is great value for the money. The chef is very careful when if you have any allergies which is much appreciated. The fact that the price is moderate enables you to bring a really nice bottle of wine to go along with the meal. Altogether a wonderful experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Laval
“Maybe we expected too much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

First of all, when we entered the restaurant, nobody was there to greet us.

Starters were perfect, tasty and beyond our expectactions.

My wife's main course was perfect too. That was different for my main entrée.

What I had on my plate tasted like it had been prepared three days ago.

The rest was ok. However, how can you rate that kind of dinner perfect if the main entrée is not good at all?

• Visited August 2011