“Luge and a Ski Day” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #96 of 1,805 things to do in Quebec
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: At one hour East of Québec City, Le Massif offers the highest vertical drop east of theCanadian Rockies (2,625 ft). With its indomitable skiable terrain and angled slopes thatseem to sweep straight into the sea, the mountain is also reknowned for its impressivesnowfall with over 22 ft annually (669 cm). On your stop at the Mountain, why not try the new 7.5 km rodeling run on natural snow, and for expert skiers, explore close to 100 acres of off-trail terrain. Slide enthusiasts are sure to be thrilled!
Toronto
8 attraction reviews
“Luge and a Ski Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Summary:

- Awesome place
- Poor communication and marketing.

My wife and I incorporated Le Massif into our Quebec Winter Carnival plans - largely motivated by the 'luge' run.

But - when we got there - it was all booked up for the whole week. We were disappointed. I went back to desk and explained our almost desperate desire and long journey to the desk person at Base Camp.

She called to the office and spoke with Natashe and suggested I visit and speak with her. Thankfully there was a cancellation the next morning and they were able to accommodate us in the early morning guided group.

This experience made the trip worthwhile all on its own. The Luge is INCREDIBLE and the run absolutely thrilling. The most outdoor fun I have had with my wife in a very long time.

The guides were awesome, the day perfect, the snow amazing, the 'snow cat' bus an adventure all in its own.

Cannot recommend this enough - BUT - make a reservation. Call ahead. The Luge is very popular and it sucks to be disappointed.

Skiing - the hill is large and the runs long. The lifts are modern and fast. The terrain needs some more diversification. Most of the runs are groomed and even the 'double black diamond' runs are not overly challenging. KInd of like wide highways hills of varying steepness.

I would recommend this as a nice change from Mt St. Ann for sure - terrific for families.

Visited February 2014
Massif de C, Directeur général at Le Massif de Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Bonjour,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced; we already made some changes on our website to be sure it won’t happen again. We are truly happy to hear you could solve your reservation problem and could have the chance to experience this unique activity.

We hope to see you back soon on our Mountain,

Durham, Maine
“Great skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We went to this mountain the last week of January. We had always started at the top before so that's where we went this time. We got our tickets at our hotel so no need to stand in line. The skiing was awesome - COLD - but well groomed, well maintained trails. The lodge was busy but it was a Wednesday and on the weekends it is probably quite crowded. We heard that the bottom lodge was closed but we weren't going there so it didn't matter. Love the gondola. Made a warm up possible as we traveled uphill. Due to high winds it closed around 1pm. Food was good. I do love skiing at this mountain and the view is unbeatable!

Visited January 2014
Massif de C, Public Relations Manager at Le Massif de Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
We are glad you loved it! We are aware of the fact that the lodge is often really busy. We are trying new solutions such has offering special (and delicious!) late meal to free some space during peak hours. Thank you for your comment!
Montreal, Canada
“Very sad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Every year we took a ski vacation at the Massif. We were in love with this mountain. But the year they cut back services and it's adequate. There is only the base camp (cap. 25 person) at the base of the mountain which makes dinner time very complicated. And at the top of the mountain the traffic is inconceivable.

Next year, we will choose another destination for our annual ski vacation.

Is no longer what it was.

Visited January 2014
Massif de C, Directeur général at Le Massif de Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hello,

We truly apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We have attempted to implement as many measures as possible to minimize the impact of these changes on our clientele. We are nevertheless aware that some clients have coped with a certain degree of unpleasantness. Please know that all our efforts are turned towards serving our clients, and providing a top slide experience.

Hopefully, and despite your recent experience, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back someday soon.
Chibougamau
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This mountain is the most beautiful in Quebec. Every year my family is renting a house in the village and we ski for a week. It is our favorite mountain to ski. But this year it was awful, The chalet at the bottom of the hill is closed and there is no sign indicating that the ski renting, store, bar restaurant, tickets were moved at the top of the hill. So we lost one hour trying to find our way to the ski rental and we waited one hour in line....the building was so crowded that we had to put and remove our boots standing up!!! there was no place to sit and eat!! We will find another resort to go next year. They think they are saving money but closing half of the services, but really they are going to lose a lot of faithful costumers!!

Visited January 2014
Massif de C, Directeur général at Le Massif de Charlevoix, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Bonjour,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are constantly adjusting ourselves this year due to the situation. We have a few sitting places at the small Camp de base, open every day. We also have new special offers outside peak hours at the cafeteria. We value our customers and we will prove to you that we truly have ''the most beautiful mountain in Quebec'' when you come back next year.

Be sure that we take your comments into consideration,
Peterborough, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“What is Rodeling and why is it such a hit?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

And why would we old folks drive over 8 hours for a couple of days at Le Massif? It's always been for the skiing and the view, but last year I left my less adventurous mate to do some comfortable cruising, while I boarded the snow cat for a haul farther up the peak of the ridge to the top of a seemingly endless trail. "Ah", you say, "7 1/2 km on less than 3000 feet vertical, and it takes an hour and a half? Kiddie slide!". Well, let me correct you.
I have kayaked and boogie- boarded the main channel of Ottawa River whitewater and hit 80 mph turns riding the full bobsled run of the Utah Olympics. This beat them both for fun, and was faster than I (and most others) could handle. I began with a larger version of an old style kid's sleigh, lying prone, trying to steer with the bull horns and desperately dragging my boot toes. Half way down we took a short break and I traded another overwhelmed Rodeler for his Luge sled on which I sat (read tried to stay on) while steering (read unsuccessfully guiding) the thing with my feet and constantly picking myself out of snow banks. Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!
I think other satisfied contributors have pretty well covered the pleasures of a visit to Le Massif, but few have mentioned the sexy ski train from Quebec City (Montmorency, actually) which winds along the shore as you enjoy breakfast on the way out, and great food and drink on the way back. If you're staying overnight, the train takes you right to the Hotel La Ferme in the middle of Baie St Paul, and one of the most uniquely designed hotels in the world.
Did I mention the great skiing? We did it all and will never forget it.

Visited February 2013
Bonjour,

The rodeling is truly an experience, you can’t understand until you try it! ''Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!'', that is such a good way of describing it! We have received a lot of snow this season, the ski conditions are great. The contemporary design of the Hotel La Ferme was inspired by the biggest wood farm in Canada that used to stand where the Hotel is now.

We are happy that you had an amazing time at le Massif! Thank you for sharing it with us.