“Earwigs to Cuddle Close to” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre

You added Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre to your Saves list
Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Redwood Avenue | Slemon Park, Summerside, Prince Edward Island C0B 2A0, Canada   |
Announcement
Continental Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Summerside
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Earwigs to Cuddle Close to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

When in our room we were created by an earwig in the bathroom, after killing it a few hours later came back and jumped into bed. When in bed i removed a pillow looking for my phone and found an earwig crawling in the bed. I soon tore off all of the Sheets and moved the bed away from the wall and found more earwigs. When calling the front desk the woman did not know what to do and left this experience for us to embrace. within min we checked out and moved to another location.

Room Tip: Check for insects
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Eastern Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel with a group of people (we took up about 15 rooms in all). We had called the hotel to try and obtain certain accomodations for our group, but never got a call back until the day we were checking in, and they said they could do nothing to help us out. (Throughout our stay, everytime we were looking for something/ certain services, the staff would (very slowly) shovel us around from one employee to another, which got very annoying after a while). However, we walked around and found the Canada Games Center, where the very nice young lady working there agreed to go out of her way to accomodate us!!! ( It's funny that the this lady was willing to go out of her way, eventhough we didn't have to pay her any money, while the hotel where we spent a lot of money was unable to provide us with anything!)

We were woken up (along with every other rooms that were with us) around 9am on a Saturday morning by house cleaning, wanting to know if we wanted our room cleaned!?! (I've stayed in many hotels, and have NEVER had this happen before).

The rooms are old (you could see rust in the shower, floors cracked loudly everytime you moved ) and very dusty. The beds were actually very comfortable. I tried to call the front desk 2 times on the first night, but they never answered. They also never answered the other 3 times I tried calling them during the rest of our stay.

This hotel, as mentionned in other reviews, is located on an old military compound. The rooms are located in a seperate building than where the front desk/restaurant/pub are located, so you have to get dressed (with a coat and boots if you go in the middle of winter, as we did) in order to get any of these services. The continental breakfast was good (you get the basics, bread and cereal type of food).

* The one positive thing I must mention is that the way the rooms are set up is good for groups, as the only rooms taken up on our floor were all from our group, so it was easy to locate people and we didn't bother anyone with our noise!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel and conference center last night. It has very reasonable rates, food prices are excellent for the amount and quality of what you receive. From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable-especially the beds. The food was excellently prepared and delivered very timely. The staff made sure we had what we needed but didn't hover or distract you. The facility is a former military base so expect that look. The rooms are older but are comfortable, laid out well and the overall atmosphere is a really good one...this hotels biggest asset is its people because all of the staff we encountered had ready smiles, showed kindness and a fun attitude that was evident everywhere while being very professional and efficient. We will definitely be back to stay again.

Room Tip: end units are very close to the doors for those that have mobility issues it would cut down on the w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Checked in around 8pm, Friday August 19, 2011, the young girl (Erin, I think) at the desk was great. She set me up with a room and good pizza, what else do you need after an 18 hour drive from Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, she was the last employee that seemed to care about the hotels guests. Over the next three days the hotel staff was unable to assist with any requests, i.e. direction, local information etc. It seemed that they were annoyed when I interrupted their conversations.

The Slemon is a little hard to find (or maybe it was the 18 hour road trip), it’s located in what was once a military compound. The area still has that feel. The hotel and room was clean and well kept. The bathroom was spotless and well stocked with higher end soaps and shampoo. The continual breakfast is just that; don’t expect more the coffee, juice, pastry and cereal.

For 92 dollars Canadian, it was OK. Being lazy I did not take advantage of the gym and other local sporting activities.

I know that I will return to Summerside, The Slemon would not be my first choice but I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
gta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We could not find a room in Summerside so we came here. Has a very abanodoned feel to it...because it is. There were ten cars in the parking lot, seemingly 500 rooms available and we were put on the second level of one of the "human chambers" on the complex grounds, so we had to lug all of our stuff over, not fun. We saw 2 other "guests" the whole time we were there, neither of which were in our building. Feels very isolated and remote. Desolate. A 3 night stay quickly became 1 as we sped away the next day in fear of alien abduction.

Side note: My wife and I toured extensively around Summerside. There is not a heck of a lot to do for ages 18-40. If you are looking for better shopping, beach feel, parks, go directly to Cavendish and stay there. Very tourist friendly area with something to do for all ages. Excellent for photography, hiking, beach and tons to do for young children. Wish we had stayed there instead and we will next time for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Quebec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Hotel was dirty, mould in bathroom, no fridges and the cleaning was less than satisfactory. The sheets were changed only after my requesting it after two weeks. They screwed up the bill and charged my credit card 6 days after my departure without informing me. when they did so they overgharged and I have been unable to be reimbursed. Much better hotels in the town of summerside. Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

The staff was great, going out of their way helping me find a piece of wood to put under the kick stand of my motorcycle. The room was larger than I expected, with a walk-in closet. The restaurant had the best food that I had had during my stay on the island, I was surprised to find that a hot breakfast was included with the room, which was delicious. It is a very quiet location and close to town. I can't say enough about this place. I have and will recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!