“Reasonable pub food; bad service” 3 of 5 stars

+1 902-892-4283
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 203 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood, Tapas, Canadian, Pub, Gastropub, Pasta, Grill, Family Fare, Chicken Wings, Sandwiches
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Whether you're visiting or shopping the downtown core of Charlottetown, St. James Gate has the meals you crave for lunch or dinner with friends, family or for business and corporate meetings. We are located on Kent St. across from the Confederation Court Mall within walking distance to great downtown tourist attractions, theatres, downtown hotels and transit. Food: With knowledgeable service and great food, you can sit back and enjoy fresh seafood, pasta, steak, gourmet sandwiches and perfect salads. If you are out for a late night or early evening bite, visit us for cocktails, local beer and appetizer at our pub and restaurant. St. James Gate is the perfect destination when in downtown Charlottetown. Music In the mood for some great Island Entertainers? We are proud to boast the best acoustic performers from Charlottetown and the East Coast. Check out our ENTERTAINMENT listing to see our upcoming lineup of Acoustic Shows and adult friendly music. It is a must see while visiting Charlottetown. Private Rooms: Are you looking for Private Dining? We have 2 large private rooms for any type of party, whether it is a birthday, wedding rehearsals or corporate functions. With our amazing service staff and our menu catered to your special event, we are sure that you will win over your guest with our private rooms.
Fredericton, Canada
“Reasonable pub food; bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Went for lunch, put an hour on the parking meter. Restaurant not busy and we were seated in no time, but our order wasn't taken for 20 minutes, food didn't arrive for another 30 and I had to leave to put more money in the parking meter. Server did not provide info on specials until we asked (we had overheard the same server giving this info to another table). Food was standard pub fare, standard quality--nothing special. The beer menu was outdated as the beer I ordered was no longer available. Ordered tea and dessert, but the hot water for the tea came with the dessert so it would have taken until the dessert was eaten to steep the tea. Server removing plates dropped all sorts of things, including stuff from another table. Very disappointed given the reviews we read ahead of time.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChTownGate, Owner at St James Gate Pub & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Hi, JT C,
I would like to take this chance to thank you for letting us know about your experience. I want to you to know that this feedback helps us greatly. I do remember the occasion in which you visited and I am extremely sorry for your experience, sometime when training new staff our operations do not meet our expectations. I would love to invite you back again (when or if you are in the area) for a complimentary meal. I would love opportunity to give you what you and we expect in food and service here at St. James Gate. Thank you again for your feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Troy

“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

St. James Gate is most defiantly a regular restaurant I enjoy going too, the food is always amazing and the servers are fantastic :) love the atmosphere, really looking forward to checking out the late night entertainment....recommend everyone to try it for sure!!!

Charlottetown, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I came here a few weeks ago with my family, most of which are from away. There were 9 of us and everyone was extremely impressed with the food, service and atmosphere. The menu has something for everyone. Everything looked and tasted amazing. We started with the Hells Gate wings, Nachos, and the bacon wrapped scallops. The wings are mind blowing, we were told that they take a little longer but I never noticed a wait. Our entrees were equally delicious, I got the pulled pork sandwich which is definitely the best in town, if not all of Atlantic Canada. My family all got different entrees which all looked and smelled amazing! I did get a chance to sample some of the ribs which are also some of the best Ive ever had. I can definitely say that I will be back!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Best meal we've had in Charlottetown. Fresh ingredients prepared masterfully. The menu is original and varied. Worthy of a top 10 rating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waterloo,Canada
“St. James Gate - Awesome food and drink!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stopped in at St. James Gate and were warmly greeted by the hostess,bartended and waitress. We ordered a pint and some wings--beer was the perfect coldness and the wings were perfect.
The inside of the bar is neat with curved arches above the bar that is unique and gives the area a cozy feeling.
I will definitely drop into the St. James Gate the next time I am in Charlottetown.

• Visited October 2012