“Good pub food, great friendly service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar

Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar
23 Queen St, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4A2, Canada (Formerly Merchantman Pub)
+1 902-892-9150
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 199 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar is a warm, cozy and inviting atmosphere. The restaurant has undergone a beautiful renovation and in doing so all the original 130 year old brick has been restored throughout the building. We strive to provide fresh and local product to the best of our ability. The Merchantman excels in seafood, and local favourites. If its Oysters that your after, look no further, our raw bar has a wide selection of local Oysters from Malpeque Bay all the way to Colville Bay and everywhere in between. So the next time your looking for a great evening out, be sure to stop by the Merchantman!
Edmonton, Canada
“Good pub food, great friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015 NEW

Dropped by here for lunch today as it is right across the street from the Delta Prince Edward. We were very happy with the service and the food.

Our server James was friendly and efficient. He recommended some local beer for us to try and it was very good. It was a cool and rainy day in Charlottetown and their seafood chowder and butternut squash soup really hit the spot. I then had the lobster roll and my husband had the fish and chips - both were very tasty.

The price was certainly reasonable. We would definitely return while we're in town for our conference this week.

• Visited April 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015 via mobile

Went there with my boyfriend for date night, and it will probably be my last time going there. I ordered the steak sandwich, if I knew it only came with one piece of bread I wouldn't have ordered it, I don't see how that's called a sandwich. Also the steak was tough as hell, and rare.. Like really rare, I asked for medium. My boyfriend did however like the burger. Seriously people, save your money.

• Visited February 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2015

My wife and ate dinner here and were very happy with the food. The fresh Oysters were fantastic. The Calmari, salmon and lobster roll were all great, the beer was good. The service was friendly.

Visited September 2014
Charlottetown, Canada
“Not as good as before,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

Dropped in at the Merchantman on a Friday night,
As a rule, this restaurant was always fairly reliable for meals, we ordred fish and chips, chicken curry and steak sandwiches, plus a plate of nachos.

The good: nachos were great and the chicken curry.
The bad: my spouse found the fish and chips not up to par,
Waitress mixed up the steak sandwiches orders, the whole plate was dry and missing flavor.
The beer order were messed up too, and we had to remind her about the sweat potato order.
Overalll we were disappointed by the meal, it is hard not to make the association with the new owners who have a reputation for messing up well run operations. Will avoid from now on.

• Visited February 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“Moderately happy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015

The food was above average to delicious. However I found the service to be extremely slow. I arrived and was seated at my table for over ten minutes before my server asked me for a drink order. When she finally did she asked for my meal order at the same time. She never offered nor told me about any specials or additions to the menu.
The pub has a good rep but tonight must have been an off night. I was at my seat and a guy walks in and sits at the bar. He got his drink long before I was even asked what I would like. It wasn't that busy.
The kettle chips were very nice and crisp and the onion dip was ok. The curry with chicken was even better and not overdone as most restaurants often do. Overall pleased but wish the service was improved.
When sitting someone at a table all maitre'd's should either take a drink order or get their wait staff to pop by immediately. It's basic service stand venue that wishes to be in the price category that befits that kind of service.