“Great ambiance and food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar

Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar
23 Queen St, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4A2, Canada (Formerly Merchantman Pub)
+1 902-892-9150
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 201 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar is a warm, cozy and inviting atmosphere. The restaurant has undergone a beautiful renovation and in doing so all the original 130 year old brick has been restored throughout the building. We strive to provide fresh and local product to the best of our ability. The Merchantman excels in seafood, and local favourites. If its Oysters that your after, look no further, our raw bar has a wide selection of local Oysters from Malpeque Bay all the way to Colville Bay and everywhere in between. So the next time your looking for a great evening out, be sure to stop by the Merchantman!
Highland Village, Texas
“Great ambiance and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 NEW

This place offers a great menu with a wonderful choice of seafood. We had the mussel and spinach dip appetizer and both were delicious, perhaps a bit small but delicious. My daughter had fish and chips which were great. Highly recommend, the location is on the main street, very close to everything.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Westford, Massachusetts
“I should have checked TripAdvisor first!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 NEW

Yes, I wouldn't have gone to Merchantman given all the 5 star places in Charlottetown. And there is a reason. A place with 3.5 stars is really very ordinary and absolutely not average because even the poorest restaurant can get relatives and friends to write in high reviews. I onlyl believe the reviews when there are a high number of reviewers and it still rates 4 or 5 stars. The Merchantman was a major disappointment. It had a terrific outdoor patio right on a major street. Very pleasant. But I had to search for a waiter to seat us. Then I am sure the "fresh lobster" I got was reheated. Even if my impression was erroneous, it shouldn't have tasted like it was reheated. My wife had a lobster roll and said it tasted like it was from a can. Overall I wouldn't return.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 NEW via mobile

Located across the street from the Delta hotel. They have an outdoor seating area that is perfect for summertime dining. The inside looked nice but the weather was too nice to sit anywhere but outside. The waitstaff was very good, friendly but not too chatty. Very willing to make recommendations. The mussel starter (we went traditions with the white wine sauce but they offered 2 additional options) was fabulous and definitely enough for two people. Pan fried haddock was very good but the best was the lobster roll. Very fresh tasting with fresh dill in the salad. Local beers offered which made for the perfect lunch. Happy to recommend it!

Visited July 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014 NEW

The curry with shrimp was scrumptious. Try one of the local beers on tap. Excellent bruschetta. Friendly service. Elegant touches yet great for casual sports viewing and a classic bar experience.

“Great Food, Great Service, Good Prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 NEW

I came to the Merchantman (I can never remember the name but will try) after driving around Charlottetown late in the evening looking for a nice seafood place. I saw this place last visit but decided to come here this time. The service was excellent; attentive, well timed, friendly and precise. The waitress helped me find the right food that I could eat and the chefs made my meal without salt, hand making some of the dishes to meet my dietary need.

The food came out in good time, and was executed very well. I've never tasted a scallop done right, ( I always overcook) and this was fresh, tasty and done my way. The calamari was specially made for me without salt, and was so delish with a great heat to it. And the vegetables came hot and crisp....obviously cooked fresh. This chef knows his food!! The price was not bad either for the meal and the atmosphere of this pub style restaurant. I will definitely return again for more, due to the attention they gave to me, which is really appreciated.

Visited August 2014