“Great Food, Great Service, Good Prices!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar

Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar
23 Queen St, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4A2, Canada (Formerly Merchantman Pub)
+1 902-892-9150
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 183 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar is a warm, cozy and inviting atmosphere. The restaurant has undergone a beautiful renovation and in doing so all the original 130 year old brick has been restored throughout the building. We strive to provide fresh and local product to the best of our ability. The Merchantman excels in seafood, and local favourites. If its Oysters that your after, look no further, our raw bar has a wide selection of local Oysters from Malpeque Bay all the way to Colville Bay and everywhere in between. So the next time your looking for a great evening out, be sure to stop by the Merchantman!
“Great Food, Great Service, Good Prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I came to the Merchantman (I can never remember the name but will try) after driving around Charlottetown late in the evening looking for a nice seafood place. I saw this place last visit but decided to come here this time. The service was excellent; attentive, well timed, friendly and precise. The waitress helped me find the right food that I could eat and the chefs made my meal without salt, hand making some of the dishes to meet my dietary need.

The food came out in good time, and was executed very well. I've never tasted a scallop done right, ( I always overcook) and this was fresh, tasty and done my way. The calamari was specially made for me without salt, and was so delish with a great heat to it. And the vegetables came hot and crisp....obviously cooked fresh. This chef knows his food!! The price was not bad either for the meal and the atmosphere of this pub style restaurant. I will definitely return again for more, due to the attention they gave to me, which is really appreciated.

Visited August 2014

London, Ontario
“Good experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Our group of 11 stumbled upon this restaurant randomly while walking through Charlottetown. Originally we just sat outside on the patio to enjoy a drink, but soon became hungry so opted to go inside for a meal. We were not disappointed. Many of our group opted for seafood, and all of them enjoyed it thoroughly. I thoroughly enjoyed the "soup of the day" which was roasted vegetable. It turned out to be one of the most delicious soups I've ever eaten!
Incidentally, we discovered that PEI potatoes really are the best! Between roast potatoes and simple french fries, they were the absolute BEST melt-in-your-mouth potatoes ever.
Our server was excellent - friendly and attentive - and in short, we would recommend this place to anyone!

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PEI
“Would not rush back ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were seated quickly and our drink orders taken in a reasonable amount of time - Keith's draft, 20oz 7.89, reasonable amount. We ordered the hickory nachos and large chicken wings. I would lose the aioli on the nachos and provide more salsa. The wings were tasty but did not feel they were worth the $12. Price tag for 6 tiny wings. The service was markedly underwhelming. In fact I had to go the bar to order my second round after waiting for the server to return. As I noticed the table beside us wondering where the server might be , in a restaurant that was only 3/4 full, clearly there is room for improvement. The second round was the local Sir John A which was not cold enough and frankly only marginally better than the the other craft beer, Beach Chair Lager which is simply awful. Over all, this used to be one if my favourites, but would not recommend to friend or foe.

New Brunswick, Canada
“Don't even bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I entered the restaurant and waited to be shown to a table...and waited...and waited while at least 4 surly servers avoided eye contact and just walked by. The restaurant was not busy. Can't comment on the food as I didn't stick around. The service was mediocre on other occasions so the most recent experience solidifies it...I will not return. Nor will I mention it to tourists when they ask for recommendations to eat.

• Visited August 2014
Kingston, Canada
“Great Atmosphere and Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Great beer selection, nice menu (including one of my all-time favourite lobster rolls) and a perfect location. A must for any visit to Charlottetown.

Visited August 2014