“Delicious and Delights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar

Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar
23 Queen St, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4A2, Canada (Formerly Merchantman Pub)
+1 902-892-9150
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 202 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar is a warm, cozy and inviting atmosphere. The restaurant has undergone a beautiful renovation and in doing so all the original 130 year old brick has been restored throughout the building. We strive to provide fresh and local product to the best of our ability. The Merchantman excels in seafood, and local favourites. If its Oysters that your after, look no further, our raw bar has a wide selection of local Oysters from Malpeque Bay all the way to Colville Bay and everywhere in between. So the next time your looking for a great evening out, be sure to stop by the Merchantman!
Moncton, Canada
“Delicious and Delights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

As part of our folks' wedding anniversary and my sister's visit from Texas we happened upon this place because it appeared quiet, relaxed and top shelf the night before as we walked past it close to closing time. I've always marvelled at the rich variety of quality restaurants in Charlottetown, but never expected any place to top some of my other favourites. This place by far exceeded any expectations we may have had in terms of service (the lovely Ally was very attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly, with the sort of timing you usually only find in a server many years her senior), Oysters (oyster bar experience was tops, great education on variations in flavour, saltiness, etc), all of our meals (locally sourced, classically prepared/seasoned just right), with just the right atmosphere (relaxed yet classy). We were all amazed and delighted!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lawrencetown, Canada
“Disappointed / displeased”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our family celebrate birthdays with dinner and fun at the birthday girl's choice. Well this year myself and 6 of my sisters chose Merchantman. When I arrived the hostess didn't know if the reservation was for 6:00pm for 7 people or 7:00pm for 6 people. Oh well - that can happen.
I can only comment for myself; however, a few others at our table were quite disappointed with their meal as well. All food was served except for mine, and the waitress said that mine came out too soon and would had to go back in. I ordered the "special" - salmon, which I assumed if it was the special there would not be any problem. The plating was pretty, however, the potatoes must have been in the fridge and when the salmon was ready, the potatoes were planted from the fridge, yes ICE COLD... As there were so many at our table, I chose to wait until I could speak to the waitress alone. The opportunity never did address itself, therefore; the kitchen never new. Three others ordered the steak sandwich which one of them suggested it was stew meat. I have never written a review before, but I was so discussed with this meal, I just had to. It certainly is not a place I would recommend, and with it being downtown and close to the waterfront, our tourists would certainly not have anything great to say about this supposed "places to eat in Charlottetown". Come on Merchantman - be an ambassador for Canada's Smallest Province, and Confederation!!!
We are a family of 8 and doubt if any of us will ever be back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty good....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First off, only had apps and drinks. Had a special "pumpkin beer" from one of the local breweries. It was quite delicious. The atmosphere is nice and clearly caters to a more upscale clientele. It's next to the Delta by the Wharf. The food was okay. The calamari was very well cooked, not rubbery or over battered like in other establishment, but for the cost, it was quite pricy. The portion sizes are smaller. But I suppose, that's to be expected from a place like this.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newfoundland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Ate lunch here the other day, I had the Merchantman Burger which was decent size and the fries were top notch but the burger itself was dry and flavourless and lacked the garlic mayo that it advertised. I know that typically customers should ask for such corrections but I like to see how the people who are serving you can preform on their own.
It was very slow in the restaurant at this point so this cannot be pushed off on too many orders or forgetting a step in a rush.
My server was very welcoming though and since I had my 20 months old son with me she engaged him in funny conversation and kept him entertained a little bit, which was nice.
Maybe it was an off day, maybe dinner service is better executed but I would not recommend the burger.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Denver
“Beware of the liquor costs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Food was excellent and wait staff was also excellent and very engaging. Would go back for both.

however, liquor pricing, even for an island was $$$$$$. For a good (not great) grade tequila to be charged $12/shot was very bad. Mexico is not that far and I'm sure Don Julio himself did not deliver the bottle. Ask the price before you order from the top shelf at this restaurant

• 5 of 5 stars Food